Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:03 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,624,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
And beautiful music, (okay, I'll say it: prayers) they were!

Thank you!

As such, June feels compelled to return your kindness with hers. This video comes up on my speakers as silent. Hence, my having chose it. Sounds of silence. But it's what can be found, therein.

YouTube - Canada Geese Slow Motion Flight

No doubt June's inner silence leads to the same place as yours.

Perhaps...

June I have to thank you for the Canada geese,as a person who grew up in and around the Chesapeake Bay,I do miss the sound of Canada geese on their migration flights,it's such a beautiful sound and such an awe-inspiring sight to see the huge flocks when they come down from the north and settle into the Chesapeake Bay,I do miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,255,419 times
I agree with the thoughts brought in the chapter "Tithing and clergy salary".

Tithing: Altho I think that a tenth might be a good place to give you an idea where to start (that's the mental figure I usually start with..) yet often the Lord might impress you to give a different amount. I think alot of us could give more than a tenth.. we should be willing to give as the Lord has prospered us, out of love toward him and concern for the needs of our fellowman.

Clergy salary: I agree with the author that this is unbiblical. Think of the extra money that could be used to address needs if someone was not paid to "preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." That is a calling of God, and was never meant to be a paid profession. In fact, I don't know how it CAN truly be filled by a paid position. I know there are many sincere paid pastors who truly want to follow God's will.. but the fact of the matter is that payment for spiritual gifts is not natural. The author mentions that pastors have admitted that they sometimes do feel hampered and unwilling to completely follow the Spirit's message because of fear of how it might hurt the pocketbook, or even their job.

Imagine if your church paid you to be here on CD, and you felt an obligation to bring many people to the Lord to be worthy of your payment.. or if you got paid to talk to your neighbor about salvation, or if your spiritual brother would come to you, give you words of spiritual encouragement, and then expect you to pay him... wouldn't the Spirit's work be hindered?
Paul's words to the elders:
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
The overseer (or "team leader") position was a calling by the Holy Ghost.. and payment for doing this would have most certainly fallen under the title of "filthy lucre":
1 Peter 5:1 ¶ The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
3 Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
There is rich instruction in the above verses.. read them carefully. "Feed the flock willingly, being an example to follow.. and a crown of glory will be your reward." Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,657,432 times
Good reads.....

And again agree with your post cg81.....

This chapter as all have been some really good things. In that it really helps one to understand and acknowledge what one may have seen in their heart, but afraid to say anything.

It's like the Holy Spirit giving confirmation of questions one may have about certain things for a long time.

You know if the church had never started paying the position of the Pastor, it makes you wonder if there would not have been so many tv ministers and the dishonesty that has come out over the recent years. And I agree with this statement;

Quote:
That is a calling of God, and was never meant to be a paid profession. In fact, I don't know how it CAN truly be filled by a paid position. I know there are many sincere paid pastors who truly want to follow God's will.. but the fact of the matter is that payment for spiritual gifts is not natural. The author mentions that pastors have admitted that they sometimes do feel hampered and unwilling to completely follow the Spirit's message because of fear of how it might hurt the pocketbook, or even their job.
I truly believe we need to support and give love offerings as God lays it on our hearts to give.

But I always felt in my heart.... it wasn't just the money, but my time, my whatever I may have that God brought the need to me to help Him.

Before I moved here, I had a business and God was always bringing individuals who could not afford the other places to meet that need.
It open doors to share the hope of Jesus Christ to people who had a deeper need.
Believe me it was really neat to watch and see how the Holy Spirit would draw people.
I got so blessed just in that, then anything else.... no money can put a price on that...
Anyway this has been a good book so far..... many blessing has come out of it.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM

702 posts, read 1,001,511 times
I gave a copy of Pagan Christianity to the county library here (to be returned if rejected) and upon examination they accepted it for circulation. I'm am very very joyous about this!!! You all might try it. Inherent in this information there's a real potential for the kind of changes so needed by the Church, specially if the right person(s) get a hold of it. The changes are necessary because God's Royal Priesthood must reign. I am so blessed to be even a small part of it.

"And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth." (Revelation 5:9-10)

Old 06-13-2008, 10:27 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,429,600 times
That is a good idea James about donating the book to the library..Believe me, no one would want mine because it is hi-lited, underlined and has my notes around the edges of the pages, and I bet mine isn't the only one..This has been one of the great spiritual awakenings of my life..

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Default My final thoughts on this book

This book has answered so many questions and also has put into words things that I couldn't find the words or the wisdom to express about the structure and tradition of the "church" and how far it is from the church that the apostles planted. It has also raised new questioms that I am praying for guidance on.. In my adult life while I was attending "church" I always somehow felt inferior, because of the rules of behavior..and what I could or couldn't do..Even though Christ was preached, sometimes I had a hard time seeing Christianity being practiced..Same thing with the early Church..It was preached, but we we were far from what it seemed to me should actually go on during its meetings..I really pray that this home church trend grows. I wonder if people can lose their gifts of the holy spirit if they are forbidden or held back during the services in the building they call "my church"

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,158,824 times
So how did this all end up when you were all finished reading this book? What conclusions did you all come to? Did any of you end up leaving a church building and attending a home church?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Well as for myself I have not belonged to any group or "church" for some time..I had been thinking for a long time about organized religion and all the rules, trimmings, money, paid leaders and what they expected from their congregations..It just began to not make any sense and I began to realize other reasons I quit going besides the legalisms of where I was..That book was simply a glimpse into the organic, or house church..If it sparked an interest one really needs to also read "Reimaging the Church" and "The Untold Story"..
House Church involves much more Christ than just saying "Hey think I will start a house church"..The object of Organic/HouseChurch is to allow Christ to be the head, the leader, the object of attention not only when you meet, but each and everyday as you continue to allow Him to walk with you..as we are part of the church 24/7..
I would not tell friends or family to leave their place of worship or try to bring people out of the institutional church..The object is that Christ draws them to you..so, talk about faith,and Christ in you wow..

BTW all of those books I mentioned are filled with scripture...I would be very interested in another book thread on "The Untold Story" It lines the Epistles chronologically with Acts and I learned to respect Paul a lot more and to understand what challenges he faced each day in teaching Christ and planting churches..There are historical facts and interesting information blocks throughout that being a history buff was a tremendous help for me..
Sorry guys for being so long winded, but I am sorta compasionate about the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity