Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A judge has ruled that a teen can attend a Louisville Catholic high school, despite objections by his atheist father.

Oldham County family court Judge Tim Feeley said in a ruling published Monday that 14-year-old Michael Ryan can attend St. Xavier High School because that's where he wants to go.

FOXNews.com - Judge: Teen Can Attend Catholic School Over Atheist Dad's Objection - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351275,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,434,915 times
great for him!--not because i am catholic. i wonder if he wants to go because that is what his mother wants?
in any case, he will be exposed to a religion and can then make his own opinion of it. his father has made his decision not to believe in anything--great. now let your son come to his own conclusion.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times
Who gets to pay for this education?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:08 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,434,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Who gets to pay for this education?
i guess if the father pays child support he will also "gets to pay" for the education--probably not happy about it either...

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 AM

255 posts, read 606,700 times
Default He's been exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
great for him!--not because i am catholic. i wonder if he wants to go because that is what his mother wants?
in any case, he will be exposed to a religion and can then make his own opinion of it. his father has made his decision not to believe in anything--great. now let your son come to his own conclusion.
According to this article the boy has attended parochial schools since kindergarten.

The article I linked to also says that the judge said whichever parent wins will be financially responsible for the school.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,649,279 times
IMO,
How sad! Especially when parents involve their children in their marital disputes. To me this is awful to use one's beliefs in trying to control something of another and to involve a child is triple awful.
It is obvious that even though he is fourteen and it is more of a social thing with him. He has grown up with the kids going to this catholic school and leaving those he is familar with is scary.

What is even worse is that he see's his dad in another way now. Instead of respect and honor for his son. He just see's an angry dad. Not one who is trying to protect and love his son regardless.

I'm glad the judge favored the young man!! And left the parents (dad) out of it. It is obvious the parents (dad) were not even considering their son's emotional state.

Blessings

Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i guess if the father pays child support he will also "gets to pay" for the education--probably not happy about it either...
Of course the Father has to pay child support but I don't think he should have to pay for the school. I think the Mother since she is wanting it should have to pay for it.

Divorce with kids is just awful.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 PM

269 posts, read 808,934 times
Does it matter who pays for it? An education is an education no matter what "denomination" it is... Just because he's going to a school his mother chose doesn't mean the father doesn't have to pay for it. I initiated my divorce... so does that mean since it was MY choice to divorce my ex husband that he doesn't have to pay child support and help support my children the rest of their life when needed? It's a need for a child to go to school. Whether a parent sends their child to public or private, any costs incurred should be paid by both parents whether the other parent "agrees" with the deciding parent or not.

Would he rather the child go to a poor public school just to "save bucks?" I see this happening all the time. The non-custodial parent wants their child to "deal with what they have" rather than take the better (albeit more expensive) route just so that parent can save money. If they would have been married rather than divorced, he won't be able to opt out of sharing educational costs for the child, why should be be able to opt out now that they're divorced? Just because he didn't get "his way" and his child is going to a school he doesn't like? Unfortunately the parents rarely work together after a divorce so costs of things are always an issue. But education should not be one.

Now if one parent or the other can't AFFORD (like really can't afford to) then he/she should state that in court then go from there... But choosing to not pay for it because "he doesn't like the school denomination" is NOT an excuse to not pay for a child's education.

And I am only talking about important issues like education... Not talking about petty things like the custodial parent wanting to spoil their child with all the brand new car the minute they start driving or trying to make sure their teen keeps up with the Joneses then turns around and cries for financial help from the non-custodial... In that case, they can pay for the kid's new Benz...

Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM

I think when a child has two parents and they can't agree on what school to send the child to, the Mother wins with the court to send the child to a Catholic school, I don't think the Father should have to pony up the cash for a school he doesn't agree with. Thats just my opinion though.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,437,557 times
i second curley's comment about it being merely part of the divorced parents' little war. i obviously cannot speak for all of them, but the majority of those that i know, even good friends, that are struggling with custodial issues and stuff like that, are not doing it out of love and concern for the children, but out of hurt pride and the desire to punish the ex spouse.

should the kid get to go where he wants? yes. should the dad have to pay for it if he didn't want him to go there? that's a hard question. preferrable would be for the parents to collaborate and set aside their grudges, even if just for the sake of the kids, and to agree on something. if they cannot agree, then i don't know. i'm not sure that there is a hard and fast rule that would benefit such cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity