Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
John 13:23-25 King James Version (KJV) 23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to ‘HIM’ not her’, that ‘HE’ should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
BTW - that could also say, Simon Peter, therefore beckoned to HER - not HIM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 AM

3,061 posts, read 914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I don't believe everything I read or that of male dominance Old-One, neither have I been brainwashed by religion.
Well then, good for you youngen, if you don't believe everything that you read, then there is not much use debating anything that is recorded in the scriptures with you, as you will continually keep saying; "Well I simply don't believe what is recorded in Black and white, in that particular part of the bible. In other words, you will decide to believe or disbelieve whatsoever you so choose.

So what made you believe that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple of Jesus? Something that you read and decided to believe, or just something that popped up in the imagination of a biblically ignorant mind?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
To this day, it is extremely unusual to have two siblings with the same name. It's so unusual that you have to say: "Nope. That probably didn't happen."
Ha, I went to school with a family whose daughters were all named Mary. Mary Beth, Mary Sue, Mary Ellen and Mary Claire.

The second one rebelled and asked to be called Sue in high school, and she later changed her name to Susan.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Well then, good for you youngen, if you don't believe everything that you read, then there is not much use debating anything that is recorded in the scriptures with you, as you will continually keep saying; "Well I simply don't believe what is recorded in Black and white, in that particular part of the bible. In other words, you will decide to believe or disbelieve whatsoever you so choose.

So what made you believe that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple of Jesus? Something that you read and decided to believe, or just something that popped up in the imagination of a biblically ignorant mind?
Obviously, I don't believe much of what Christianism has to say on various subjects, including your perceptions, but that doesn't make me ignorant. It just means that I see things differently or from a different perspective. If you want to believe everything is inerrant and infallible from a male-dominate religion be my guest. And, yes, I will decide, not you!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
John 13:23-25 King James Version (KJV) 23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to ‘HIM’ not her’, that ‘HE’ should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
Quote:
BTW - that could also say, Simon Peter, therefore beckoned to HER - not HIM.
Quote:
Linguistics or that of studying various languages and it's structure, including the various meanings within words.
If, you change the meaning of a word, it changes the context - just like that of hell and eternal damnation.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Linguistics or that of studying various languages and it's structure, including the various meanings within words.
If, you change the meaning of a word, it changes the context - just like that of hell and eternal damnation.
'Mary Magdalene,' means, Mary Magdalene, you can't change that, and she is one of the only two woman by the name Mary, who, at the cross of Jesus, was with Mary the mother of Jesus, who was the wife of Cleophas, the first man to whom the risen Christ appeared.

If you believe that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple who leaned on the breast of Jesus at the Passover Seder, then you are ignorant to the fact that the scriptures reveal the beloved disciple to be a male and later on, reveal that the male beloved disciple, is John the son of Zebedee.

It matters not if you don't believe what the bible says, but if you think that the bible says that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple who leaned on the breast of Jesus, this reveals that you have never studied the scriptures, or that you are simply biblically ignorant, or that you are incapable of comprehending that which is recorded in the scriptures.

Which all boils down to the fact, that it is a waste of time debating the scriptures with one who doesn't even have a clue as to what is recorded therein.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Linguistics or that of studying various languages and its structure, including the various meanings within words. If, you change the meaning of a word, it changes the context - just like that of hell and eternal damnation.

Quote:
If you believe that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple who leaned on the breast of Jesus at the Passover Seder, then you are ignorant to the fact that the scriptures reveal the beloved disciple to be a male and later on, reveal that the male beloved disciple, is John the son of Zebedee.

It matters not if you don't believe what the bible says, but if you think that the bible says that Mary Magdalene was the beloved disciple who leaned on the breast of Jesus, this reveals that you have never studied the scriptures, or that you are simply biblically ignorant, or that you are incapable of comprehending that which is recorded in the scriptures.

Which all boils down to the fact, that it is a waste of time debating the scriptures with one who doesn't even have a clue as to what is recorded therein.
And, you are ignorant when it comes to punctuation use, or various meanings within languages.
But, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." Please, carry-on discussing things with yourself.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You keep claiming that Mary, the mother of Jesus and Mary the wife of Clopas are the same person, and that simply is not true. John 19:25 shows them to be two different people. And it would have been redundant for John to have referred to Mary the mother of Jesus in two different ways in the same sentence in which he is stating the women who were standing by the cross.

The Gospels speak of three Mary's at the cross; Jesus' mother Mary, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

If you can't comprehend that then I will leave you to your obtuseness. I'm done discussing this.
Agreed.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Agreed.
You agree with someone who believes that the four gospels reveal that there are three Mary's at the cross of Jesus. Now all you have to do is support your mates erroneous suggestion, and reveal where the four gospels (PLURAL) reveal that there are any more than two women by the name Mary at the cross, burial, or empty tomb of Jesus.

Go for it youngen and continue to reveal your ignorance as to what is recorded in the bible, where does it say in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke that there were three women by the name Mary at the cross, or the burial, or the empty tomb of Jesus.

Remember, we are talking about the GOSPELS (Plural), all four, which reveal the two women by the name Mary at the4 cross, burial and empty tomb of Jesus, to be Mary the mother of Jesus, who is the wife of Cleophas who is also called Alphaeus the biological father of James the younger, who is the brother of the Lord, and her relative, Mary Magdalene.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Well, Matthew says there were "many women there." Listing four doesn't seem excessive. Three out of four might be unusual. Mark lists two out of three names do "Mary." All Luke says is "women." Seriously, what is the purpose of your contention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity