Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No one said he couldn't have a bible in the classroom. He could place it in a desk drawer or keep it in his briefcase. He wants to display it on his desk, and that leads to the question of what his agenda is.
Nail meet Head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No one said he couldn't have a bible in the classroom. He could place it in a desk drawer or keep it in his briefcase. He wants to display it on his desk, and that leads to the question of what his agenda is. Does he want to make sure his students know he is a Christian? Does he want to influence the educational process by bringing religion into it? I don't see what right he's exercising, or what right he is losing if he puts the book in the drawer of his desk.

DC
Ok now if the teacher is doing it because he/she does have some sort of agenda then no I don't think a classroom is the right place to do it.

But if the teacher leaves it out on the desk to read it when the students are testing or reading to themselves, then I feel that it is acceptable.

I don't think that just because a student does not like to physically see a Bible, that it is just cause to force the teacher to remove it.

Heaven forbid someone doesn't agree with you, or doesn't have the same likes or beliefs as you. And I mean people in general.

Last edited by HsvMike; 04-17-2008 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
The teacher reading his/her bible while the class takes a test. Hmmmm...isn't said teacher on the clock while the students are in the classroom? I'm not allowed to read a book if I'm put on hold on the telephone at work. Doesn't hold water. The teacher can put the bible in a desk and take it out during breaktimes to read.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Ok now if the teacher is doing it because he/she does have some sort of agenda then no I don't think a classroom is the right place to do it.

But if the teacher leaves it out on the desk to read it when the students are testing or reading to themselves, then I feel that it is acceptable.

I don't think that just because a student does not like to physically see a Bible, that it is just cause to force the teacher to remove it.

Heaven forbid someone doesn't agree with you, or doesn't have the same likes or beliefs as you. And I mean people in general.
The school district doesn't have the resources to determine what his agenda is. Rather than try to police people's thoughts and personal lives, they've simply asked him to put his Bible where it is not front and center in the classroom. I think that is acceptable and that most people would consider it acceptable. So why isn't it acceptable for this teacher? It's not saying that he cannot read the Bible or any religious material during his free time. If this was a man who wanted to put fly a GayPride flag on his desk, I think many of the people posting comments here would be concered about the teacher's agenda, but this teacher is using the same free speech protections to display his bible. And that is what he is doing, he is not being prohibited from carrying the bible or from reading it or from keeping it in his possession, he is only being asked not to display it in a classroom where the subject material has nothing to do with religion.

DC

Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
And beating someone is civilized? Why such fear from one's belief?

godspeed,

freedom
Yes;
I agree, why so much fear over something like a book; what if had been
a newsweek magazine, or a Harry potter book?
would the same thing have happened??

Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM

There isn't any fear over the book. Who said anything about fear? That said, the Bible is a specific book associated with religion. Newsweek magazine is associated with ..... what, the news? The school district has specific policies regarding religion, ie, the school is not allowed to sponsor prayer meetings or to present any one religion in favor over others. If this were just a John D MacDonald paperback, would the teacher insist on having it on top of his desk day in and day out? It's not the material that is the problem, it's the teacher's insistence on displaying the material.

DC

Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Yes;
I agree, why so much fear over something like a book; what if had been
a newsweek magazine, or a Harry potter book?
would the same thing have happened??
Newsweek and Harry Potter aren't "church" materials.

My question is this.. would you have any problem with him having the Book of Mormon on the table?

If not.. then I see your point.

However, in the end this guy had the 10 commandments in his classroom and was asked to take those down. I'm sure he knew perfectly well that leaving the Bible out would cause an uproar which is what he got. To me.. thats his agenda.

From my simple mind its like a guy walking down a dark alley in with a Gucci watch and then complaining he got robbed. Yes he had every right to walk down that aisle but the end result shouldn't have been suprising.

Just my take on it..

Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
The teacher reading his/her bible while the class takes a test. Hmmmm...isn't said teacher on the clock while the students are in the classroom? I'm not allowed to read a book if I'm put on hold on the telephone at work. Doesn't hold water. The teacher can put the bible in a desk and take it out during breaktimes to read.

What if the gay (whether openly so or not) male teacher in the classroom right next door preferred to wear a woman's scarf every day in class, and at lunch just loved to fold it, stroke it, and practice making it into new shapes? Would that teacher be accused of promoting an 'agenda' (gay identity)?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Gay men like to wear women's scarves and then stroke them and play with them? Hmmm....sounds pretty odd to me. I've known some gay men who payed a lot of attention to their appearance, worked out, spent a lot on clothes, but they didn't wear women's scarves. How would this relate to a gay identity?

DC

Old 04-17-2008, 04:01 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
You don't like my hypothetical? Why would you assume that I'm painting all gays with the stroke of a scarf? Do you always answer a question with another question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity