Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:44 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,043,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Paul's authority is what was given to him by the holy spirit. Of course, Paul shouldn't be on the same level of Jesus, but his words are spirit inspired.
I guess thats what I'm looking for. How do we know his words are inspired. What do we have to go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,570,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I guess thats what I'm looking for. How do we know his words are inspired. What do we have to go on?
Because they're in the bible.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,484,754 times
The so-called apostle Paul (Saul of Tarsus) is not an authority for anything. He was a confidence man who founded the cult of Christianity by inventing the story of Christ’s resurrection from the dead and his vision of him on the road to Damascus to fool gullible people of the time through a series of chain letters (the "Epistles"). When charges were brought against him, he managed to evade prosecution by claiming Roman citizenship, under which authority he was transported to Rome and imprisoned in the Carcer of the Forum Romanum until Nero had him put to death.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,521,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If we're looking for more than Paul's witness of himself as an apostle,
we get get it from other sources than Paul himself.
For example, Peter ( an apostle ) also acknowledges Paul.
I was about to point out Peter's acknowlegement of Paul, but see that it was already done.

Thanks, Oakback.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,043,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
As far as authority of Paul's writings...they are given authority by God himself. Paul performed miracles and other acts and signs, which confirmed he was a messenger of God. His writings were referred to as scripture by the other apostles, and vice versa.
Peter refers to Paul's writings in 2 Peter. However, many believe 2 Peter wasn't written by Peter.

I guess I was looking for more than:

1. Paul said he was
2. Council of Trent deemed his letters to be divine

Thanks for everyones answers so far though. Really.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,295,636 times
Quote:
Peter refers to Paul's writings in 2 Peter. However, many believe 2 Peter wasn't written by Peter.

I guess I was looking for more than:

1. Paul said he was
2. Council of Trent deemed his letters to be divine

Thanks for everyones answers so far though. Really.
Do you believe all books in the canon that were not written by the person to whom it was attributed to, are not authoritative?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

14,674 posts, read 17,016,847 times
Bigthirsty, I was just wondering how you decide whether or not any of the books of the NT are inspired or divine? What do you consider to be your standard? Just asking.

Here are a few sources that I found on the canonicity of the NT.

Quote:
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The writings attributed to the apostles circulated amongst the earliest Christian communities. The Pauline epistles were circulating in collected form by the end of the first century AD.[2] Justin Martyr, in the early second century, mentions the "memoirs of the apostles," which Christians called "gospels" and which were regarded as on par with the Old Testament.[3][4] A four gospel canon (the Tetramorph) was asserted by Irenaeus, c. 160, who refers to it directly.[5][6][/font]
[/font]

Development of the New Testament canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New Testament Canon, by Glenn W. Barker

Development of the Biblical Canon

Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,292,403 times
I like Wendell's take. Yeah, it looks like he was a Christian, but 'confidence man' has a great ring to it too. That was definitely worth the chuckle.

I think Paul's writings are aligned with a consistent theme as found in the scriptures. It could also be the best cut and paste ever (the assigning of specific books to the one's we call the bible). Paul wrote on the breadth of difficulties that existed in a great diversity of areas in the Middle East nations. He cut across cultures and diverse interpretations of the Christian theology to represent what was best. He was a man who could think on his feet, and was totally sold out for G-d. As best as could be determned, he didn't marry and in so many ways was the palatable revisitation of John the Baptist. I don't agree with all he wrote, but he holds up.

Re: the authorship of Acts: I thought Luke was a physician, and his writings speak about the deliberate, painstaking care that goes into this profession. At the time, the powers of observation and the interweaving of personal and psychic history were important features for determining health. There was a greater sense of holism to wellness, and as such, one incorporates a larger circle of systems when attempting causal attributions. This whole thing about a dead man rising likely got many people in the areas all a-flutter, and he was likely the best to examine the many factors of the period and those that came into play that made Christianity what it is.

Paul worship? Really? That's messed up.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:02 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,279,011 times
Quote:
Because 2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is inspired by God.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,295,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because 2 Timothy 3:16 says ALL scripture is inspired by God.

And what scripture was Paul referring to ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity