Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Baptism is the outward expression of the inward miracle. I refer to the thief on the cross, Jesus said "today you will be with me in paradise", he wasnt baptized, so where did he go then?
Of course there is no salvation outside of Christ, where does one get that from??
This is all about Christ..I dont think it was ever said that one SHOULDNT be baptized, but lets think about this scenario..
A man accepts Christ on Sunday Morning, but the baptistry where the baptism takes place is broken so they should have to wait till Sunday night, that man dies in a car wreck. So since he wasnt baptized are you saying he wont go to heaven?
Great post, I agree! There is no saving power in baptism, only Jesus saves. Like you said, it is an outward expression of what is inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
So you are saying we can be saved while we are still in our sins??? You have dissed all that the word of God says about being baptized to wash away your sins. Also you are saying a person does not have to be "in Christ" to be saved, and the scriptures teach that you are baptized into Christ. There is no salvation outside of Christ. On other words, salvation is in Christ. Unless you are in Christ , you cannot be saved. If you are not going to believe all of the scriptures you just as well throw your bible/ bibles away! You also do not have the gift of the Holy Spirit until you are baptized. Acts 2:38
So, who's spirit was guiding you while you were doing that prayer???
after reading the CofC website on this topic i can see why one would believe what they believe and find this hard to understand.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
after reading the CofC website on this topic i can see why one would believe what they believe and find this hard to understand.

So. What is the cofC believing that cannot be found in the New Testament teachings? Please clarify that ! Show me what is being taught at a cofC, and I can show you chapter and verse for it.

If it is " hard for you to understand" you obviously do not know the scriptures! All that is taught is a plain as the nose on my face ( and that is pretty plain).

Since you, and all who have posted on this thread, prefer to believe what YOU want to believe, I cannot continue repeating myself here!
Until you decide to believe what the scriptures plainly say, there is no purpose of 'talking' to you.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
So. What is the cofC believing that cannot be found in the New Testament teachings? Please clarify that ! Show me what is being taught at a cofC, and I can show you chapter and verse for it.

If it is " hard for you to understand" you obviously do not know the scriptures! All that is taught is a plain as the nose on my face ( and that is pretty plain).

Since you, and all who have posted on this thread, prefer to believe what YOU want to believe, I cannot continue repeating myself here!
Until you decide to believe what the scriptures plainly say, there is no purpose of 'talking' to you.
I didnt mean it was hard for me to understand, I meant the sinners prayer that we are discussing would be hard for someone that had different outlooks, or views(CofC). have a nice weekend

Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
If a baptist decides he would like to join the CofC he must be baptised again, because no other baptism "works"except theirs..One of the all time great CofC sayings if someone backslides or if they do something they don't approve of is "Hmmp, his baptism didn't work,he went under a dry sinner and came up a wet one"..
If you decide to move to another country do you have do anything to become a citizen there? The American citizenship is not recognized in other countries. Likewise, a 'baptism' that is not in accordance with the Word of God is not recognized in the church of Christ. Why does that offend you!

It seems like it is a case of 'your will be done.

I have been a member of the church of Christ for 42 years and I have never heard anyone say what you just did.... i.e. " Hmmp, his baptism didn't work, he went under a dry sinner and came up a wet one"

BTW, I didn't know that Baptist believe that one could backslide? I thought they believe " once saved, always saved." ??

We witnessed the baptism of a 91 year old man some years ago. He was at the church's meeting. He said he was baptized as a Baptist and went in as a dry sinner and came up a wet sinner. He came up out of the water literally rejoicing. Other than that, the only time I have heard it was in jest.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
This is a little long but please read:

Recently, my 73 year old aunt went to be with the Lord. The neat thing about it was she repented of her sins and came to Jesus on her death bed!!
My other aunt and some family flew to El Paso to be by her side, she asked her if she truly knew that she would be with the Lord for eternity. My aunt said, "no, I really don't think I would; I've been an ok person during my life, but never gave Jesus my life." Keep in mind that my aunt would NEVER discuss spiritual things but only until she was on her deathbed would she realize her eternal destiny.

After three hours of my uncle and aunt preaching the gospel to her, sharing about God's grace through the death of Jesus that covers her sins, explaining John 3:16 to her, and praying over verses that dealt with justification, sactification, etc.. , so that she knew what she's doing, turned from her old way of life, and opened up her heart to Jesus!! It was truly an amazing moment in her life, and just about three days later, she went to Heaven.

Now, here's the kicker.. Because she was bedridden, she wasn't able to be fully baptised in water, let alone in the CoC, but instead my other aunt got a wet washcloth and rung it out on top of her head! They all laughed about it and had such a joyful time going about it because it was the "unconventional way" of doing it..

Oh, BTW, my aunt wanted to be baptized because she was compelled to make a public declaration of her faith, not for any other reason. For the next few days, she shared her faith with everyone she came in contact with. She knew Jesus saved her, and the holy spirit came in and rejuvinated her heart!!

When I spoke to my other aunt who explained the gospel to her, after her conversion, she told me that you could see a peace settling on her like never before.

That, my friends is the power of the cross of Christ!!

For those of you who insist that baptism is essential for salvation (and I know who you are, I think you seriously need to pray more about it! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my aunt is with Jesus right now, and it has NOTHING to do with what christian church she was baptized in.

Rom. 1:16
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation"

Last edited by UNT_Eagle; 04-25-2008 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Wow! Great testimony, Unt_Eagle! Truly, God's grace is wonderful. All praise to Him!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Great testimony Unt_ I also believe that your Aunt resides with the Lord and all the beauty and peace of the place He promised to prepare for us

Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If you decide to move to another country do you have do anything to become a citizen there? The American citizenship is not recognized in other countries. Likewise, a 'baptism' that is not in accordance with the Word of God is not recognized in the church of Christ. Why does that offend you!

It seems like it is a case of 'your will be done.

I have been a member of the church of Christ for 42 years and I have never heard anyone say what you just did.... i.e. " Hmmp, his baptism didn't work, he went under a dry sinner and came up a wet one"

BTW, I didn't know that Baptist believe that one could backslide? I thought they believe " once saved, always saved." ??

We witnessed the baptism of a 91 year old man some years ago. He was at the church's meeting. He said he was baptized as a Baptist and went in as a dry sinner and came up a wet sinner. He came up out of the water literally rejoicing. Other than that, the only time I have heard it was in jest.
How is being baptized in a Baptist church not in accordance with the Word of God?
And being backslide and unsaved are two different things.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
This is a little long but please read:

Recently, my 73 year old aunt went to be with the Lord. The neat thing about it was she repented of her sins and came to Jesus on her death bed!!
My other aunt and some family flew to El Paso to be by her side, she asked her if she truly knew that she would be with the Lord for eternity. My aunt said, "no, I really don't think I would; I've been an ok person during my life, but never gave Jesus my life." Keep in mind that my aunt would NEVER discuss spiritual things but only until she was on her deathbed would she realize her eternal destiny.

After three hours of my uncle and aunt preaching the gospel to her, sharing about God's grace through the death of Jesus that covers her sins, explaining John 3:16 to her, and praying over verses that dealt with justification, sactification, etc.. , so that she knew what she's doing, turned from her old way of life, and opened up her heart to Jesus!! It was truly an amazing moment in her life, and just about three days later, she went to Heaven.

Now, here's the kicker.. Because she was bedridden, she wasn't able to be fully baptised in water, let alone in the CoC, but instead my other aunt got a wet washcloth and rung it out on top of her head! They all laughed about it and had such a joyful time going about it because it was the "unconventional way" of doing it..

Oh, BTW, my aunt wanted to be baptized because she was compelled to make a public declaration of her faith, not for any other reason. For the next few days, she shared her faith with everyone she came in contact with. She knew Jesus saved her, and the holy spirit came in and rejuvinated her heart!!

When I spoke to my other aunt who explained the gospel to her, after her conversion, she told me that you could see a peace settling on her like never before.

That, my friends is the power of the cross of Christ!!

For those of you who insist that baptism is essential for salvation (and I know who you are, I think you seriously need to pray more about it! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my aunt is with Jesus right now, and it has NOTHING to do with what christian church she was baptized in.

Rom. 1:16
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation"
Wonderful post!!! I agree also your aunt is with Jesus in Heaven. It's all about Jesus and NOTHING more!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity