Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,428,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Baptism is the act of obedience where the believer publicly identifies through immersion with Jesus death, burial and resurrection. It is a visual picture of being cleansed from sin of the old life, dying to the old life and being born to a new life and a sign of commitment to a new way of life.
If baptism was required for salvation, the thief on the cross would have missed out and clearly he did not.
In John 3:5 Jesus is talking about a spiritual rebirth, the water represents the cleansing action of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism should be a part of every believers experience, but it not a requirement for salvation.
Baptism saves us (1 Peter 3:21). It washes away sins (Acts 22:16). It clothes us in Christ (Galatians 3:27

How surprising, mentioning "immersion" and "act of obedience" in the same sentence, ending with being a symbol. Let me guess, the Lords Supper...it represents his body and blood, right?

The reason why some churches tend to pour or sprinkle instead is to make it clear that "immersion" is not demanded by Scripture. Since many demand that immersion is the only way to baptize, we confess the truth that God has left that up to our freedom by baptizing in a different way.

Those who insist on baptism by "immersion" usually also corrupt baptism from a beautiful means of grace (God is the one acting!) to nothing but a matter of human obedience. How sad to take the beautiful gift of baptism, by which God gives to us all the gifts of salvation won for us by Christ (1 Peter 3:21), and turn it into a work of human obedience!

The Bible teaches were are Christians because of grace through faith, not of ourselves, not of works, not by obeying the law, not because of any good that is in us, not that we are better or more deserving than others, not because we have the ability to choose.

Jesus tells us to make disciples of all nations by baptising and by teaching. Jesus only choses his disciples...and one way that is done is by baptising. If we have the opportunity, we ought to get baptized because of Jesus command. That is why the thief was saved, he didn't have the opportunity to get baptized.

Baptism is "necessary, but not absolutely necessary" was for your example for the thief on the cross.
Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,279,011 times
Baptism has no saving power, only Jesus can save. Only Jesus can wash away sins. Baptism is not required for salvation. It is not the water of baptism that saves, but God' grace accepted through faith in Christ. Because of what Jesus said to the thief on the cross, we know it is possible to be saved without being baptized. I believe people who refuse to accept Jesus as Savior will be condemned regardless of whether or not they have been baptized.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,657,432 times
Quote:
Baptism has no saving power, only Jesus can save. Only Jesus can wash away sins. Baptism is not required for salvation. It is not the water of baptism that saves, but God' grace accepted through faith in Christ. Because of what Jesus said to the thief on the cross, we know it is possible to be saved without being baptized. I believe people who refuse to accept Jesus as Savior will be condemned regardless of whether or not they have been baptized.
Amen!!

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

By baptizing with the Holy Spirit and fire, Christ would cleanse His followers from sin and give them power over sin. This special ministry of Christ is recorded in all four Gospels.
Mark 1:7-8
Luke 3:16-17
John 1:33
Promised by Jesus, Acts 1:5
Remembered by Peter, Acts: 11:16

Matthew 3:15-16
But Jesus answered and said to him, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he allowed Him. When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Permit it: By accepting John's baptizism, Jesus idenified with sinners. He also showed that He would live according to the standard of righteousness that John preached so that He could make it a reality in the lives of His followers (Matthew 21:23-27, 32). To fulfill all righteousness here, means to do God's complete will.

Water baptism is a symbol of a outward confession of a changed heart from sin...
It does not cleanse the heart from sin, it is a symbol of Christ Jesus resurrecting in the heart of the believer from death to life..through the power of the Holy Spirit. Who resides in the heart of every true believer.

Even Jesus explained this to Nicodemus in John 3:1-16

The requirement to be saved or be born again is John 3:16.
No where does Jesus tell us that we are to be baptised with water to be saved. It is a spiritual baptism that Jesus explains to Nicodemus. And for every believer, to be baptised in the Holy Spirit. We need Him and Jesus promised Him to us. That He would send the Comforter to help, guide, and remind us of all the things Christ spoke to us.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post

No where does Jesus tell us that we are to be baptised with water to be saved. .
Really? No where?

Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned - Read the passage.

Baptism is more than just a symbol as the Reformed teaches:

Colossians 2:11-12 The Colossians passage or any other says anything about a mere "representation".

Rather the passage simply says in baptism we have been circumcised with a circumcision not done by human hands and we were buried with Christ and raised with him--that is, we REALLY were joined to Christ in baptism. Baptism is spoken of as a reality that gives and accomplishes what is described, not something that merely "represents" the reality. To repeat, simply read the passage.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,657,432 times
Yes, really!

I did read the passage.
Have you done cross reference to the scripture of Mark 16:16?

Mark 1:7-8, John's baptism symbolized a commitment to turn from sin Jesus' baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5,8) would give power over sin.

Being baptised with water is saying publicly I have believe and repented of my sin and have been forgive for my sin and am committing my life to Jesus Christ!
Only Jesus can cleanse my heart from sin.... not the water!
Baptism signifies the repentance aspect of salvation. Both repentance and spiritual birth are necessay to enter God's kingdom.

Colossians 2:11-12
Circumcision is used here as a figure of sanctification. The circumcision of Christ, which is not physical but spiritual, involves a real cleansing from sin, a putting off the body of the sins of the flesh.

Baptism is a symbol of our appropriating Christ's death and resurrection by faith.
"From the death of sin to the life of holiness. It does not appear that in all of this, (probably vv.11-12) Paul speaks of justification at all, but of sanctification altogether.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Yes, really!

I did read the passage.
Have you done cross reference to the scripture of Mark 16:16?

Mark 1:7-8, John's baptism symbolized a commitment to turn from sin Jesus' baptism with the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5,8) would give power over sin.

Being baptised with water is saying publicly I have believe and repented of my sin and have been forgive for my sin and am committing my life to Jesus Christ!
Only Jesus can cleanse my heart from sin.... not the water!
Baptism signifies the repentance aspect of salvation. Both repentance and spiritual birth are necessay to enter God's kingdom.

Colossians 2:11-12
Circumcision is used here as a figure of sanctification. The circumcision of Christ, which is not physical but spiritual, involves a real cleansing from sin, a putting off the body of the sins of the flesh.

Baptism is a symbol of our appropriating Christ's death and resurrection by faith.
"From the death of sin to the life of holiness. It does not appear that in all of this, (probably vv.11-12) Paul speaks of justification at all, but of sanctification altogether.
You are right curly! Baptism does not wash away our sins, only Jesus does. Baptism does not make us Christians only Jesus does, Baptism does not save us only Jesus does. The purpose of Baptism is to show others that we are Christians. Baptism has nothing to do with salvations, but it is a picture of salvation.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
You are right curly! Baptism does not wash away our sins, only Jesus does. Baptism does not make us Christians only Jesus does, Baptism does not save us only Jesus does. The purpose of Baptism is to show others that we are Christians. Baptism has nothing to do with salvations, but it is a picture of salvation.
Through baptism the Holy Spirit conveys the forgiveness of sins life and salvation. As the Bible teaches:

"When the love and kindness of God appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us by the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poutred out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life" (Titus 3:4-7).

"Repent and be baptized, every one of you so that your sins may be forgiven. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children" (Acts 2:38-39).

"I tell you the truth, unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. Flesh give birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit" (John 3:5-6).

"This water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God" (1 Peter 3:21).

"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." Acts 22:16

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

Your own description of how a person is brought to faith in Jesus Christ, even though you may credit the Holy Spirit with moving a person to believe, you still insists that a person plays a role in the process by ultimately making a choice or "accepting" or "denying" him. That is synergism.

Some Baptists and Evangelicals are quite Calvinistic in their view of fallen mankind. Like the Lutherans they hold to the total depravity of fallen mankind and teach a true monergism in conversion (that God does it all, from start to finish, without the human will participating on its own.)

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Through baptism the Holy Spirit conveys the forgiveness of sins life and salvation. As the Bible teaches:

"When the love and kindness of God appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us by the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poutred out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life" (Titus 3:4-7).

"Repent and be baptized, every one of you so that your sins may be forgiven. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children" (Acts 2:38-39).

"I tell you the truth, unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. Flesh give birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit" (John 3:5-6).

"This water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God" (1 Peter 3:21).

"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." Acts 22:16

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

Your own description of how a person is brought to faith in Jesus Christ, even though you may credit the Holy Spirit with moving a person to believe, you still insists that a person plays a role in the process by ultimately making a choice or "accepting" or "denying" him. That is synergism.

Some Baptists and Evangelicals are quite Calvinistic in their view of fallen mankind. Like the Lutherans they hold to the total depravity of fallen mankind and teach a true monergism in conversion (that God does it all, from start to finish, without the human will participating on its own.)
Baptism does not do convey anything. Jesus forgives and only Jesus. Why are you trying to add to what Jesus did on the cross?
A question was asked a few posts back by someone else and never answered, if a person gets saved in the morning but cannot be baptized till the evening, but dies in a car wreck before that can happen, are they saved......I say yes.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,722,255 times
Guide to God

Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,722,255 times
Quote:
Baptism does not do convey anything. Jesus forgives and only Jesus. Why are you trying to add to what Jesus did on the cross?
A question was asked a few posts back by someone else and never answered, if a person gets saved in the morning but cannot be baptized till the evening, but dies in a car wreck before that can happen, are they saved......I say yes.
i say yes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity