Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times

Advertisements

NCyank- Thank you for your polite and interesting response. It never occurred to me that christians would hand out tracts because of peer pressure. If so few people are saved by tracts, wouldn't all the money they cost be better spent in some other manner? I guess I just don't get it. If part of the christian religion is to bring more people in, why is so much effort put into a way that has such poor results. Are there any christians here who were brought to christ through literature? Maybe I will start a new thread about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Corking, I'm sure you're very well-meaning but the problem I see with your list is that with perhaps the exception of #10, they're all annoyingly rude. People don't LIKE it when someone walks up to them while they're eating, and tries to shove a religious tract at them. They don't LIKE it when they come home and find trash all over their door.

Someone tries to hand me a bible or a tract, I'm going to outright refuse. If I come home and find one on my door, it's going straight into the trash. If I find it on my car, same thing. If you walk up to me and rudely interrupt my meal, be prepared for some vitriol and for me to call the mall security to have you removed.

It's no secret that I'm an atheist, and as such I can tell you that the very best way you can present yourself and your beliefs to me is to live what you preach. Be a good neighbor. Be a good parent and raise your children to respect themselves and others. Work hard, pay your taxes. Be a good example of a fine upstanding citizen. Do some charity work.

That's when I will take notice of you and say "That is a good Christian living how their Jesus wanted them to live."

Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
NCyank- Thank you for your polite and interesting response. It never occurred to me that christians would hand out tracts because of peer pressure. If so few people are saved by tracts, wouldn't all the money they cost be better spent in some other manner? I guess I just don't get it. If part of the christian religion is to bring more people in, why is so much effort put into a way that has such poor results. Are there any christians here who were brought to christ through literature? Maybe I will start a new thread about that
I'm not sure how much the tracts cost but I wouldn't imagine it wouldn't be very much as compared to other forms of advertising. We have been in small town churches where door to door canvassing (or parking lots, malls, etc.) was used to promote a particular speaker or event or just to proselytize in general. For many church members it can be very uniting, meeting together, going out with one singular purpose (it helps if there are donuts and coffee before or a luncheon afterward, LOL) and there is some pressure to participate in the group activity. I decline without explanation. If possible I will stay behind to prepare lunch or participate in some other way, but I don't go door to door or passing tracts. It is easier to avoid the pressure in a larger or more urban church. It just isn't as noticeable if people don't show up on Saturday morning.

On another level, perhaps it is not only for those few who might take the message to heart but also for those who are passing the tract. It can be encouraging for them I suppose, to feel they are making an impact, give them an opportunity to share with a few even those most will reject the message or at least reject the format.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I see the tracts as hateful.
They usually say that catholics and other christian sects are going to suffer the pains of hell because they don't believe as I do.

They're very EXclusive.
You'd get more people interested if your approach was INclusive.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Cool The Word is the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Cork, I understand where you are coming from because you have been taught by the church system. No offence to you...it comes off like that sometimes through written words on a computer screen..but ...you need to study your bible and not be so influenced by man and the modern church.
No one is perishing in hellfire my friend...that`s church heresy,not the word of God. Also,you are not bringing anyone to Christ. God does the seeking,drawing, and saving. This is his creation and he is in control of it. He knows how to work in a person to draw them to himself... afterall, he created the human race. Let not your heart be troubled my friend,God is in control.
I know you feel you are in control of saving people and they will perish for all of eternity if we (man) don`t do something to stop it. But again,God knows what he is doing. He will not lose one lost sheep. He says so...just trust in him.
Could be that you are not rightly dividing the word.

2Ti 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Eze 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, you shall surely die; if you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at your hand.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Smile and Jesus said go

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanoutreachministries View Post
I new a pastor who got saved through a tract he found on a bus floor but that's the only one I know of..
Had a young person here that was going on shore leave, out for a toot, who found a New Hope track on the floor of the barracks. Free meal at the men’s ministry, so instead of adult beverages he came in for coffee, Danish and fellowship. He is now a Navy Chaplin.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Had a young person here that was going on shore leave, out for a toot, who found a New Hope track on the floor of the barracks. Free meal at the men’s ministry, so instead of adult beverages he came in for coffee, Danish and fellowship. He is now a Navy Chaplin.
Exactly....is it not worth handing out 100 billion tracts to have just one person accept Christ?? Only those rejecting Christ are offended by such a loving gesture. Those seeking may just find Him by that same gesture. It may not be the most successful way to help bring souls to Christ, but successful nonetheless.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,269 times
i am a new christian who has started a bible study with some friend,ans we came up with the idea to invite people to cook outs and witness to them there and give testimonies and such.. we have only done it once but had a turn out of about 20 or so people show. but we are looking for ways to improve and new ways to reach out and bring Gods word to others. however, if you decide to try this make sure you bring the word to them before you feed them..we had some, ok most of them leave before we really got down to it.. anyway, we are planning another one soon and are looking for new ideas.. so if God lays it on your heart, please pass it on to me..

Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You need to stop eating so much beans and broccoli...
..... you're toooooo funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity