Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,212,979 times

Advertisements

This was mentioned recently on another thread, and I thought we might could talk about it specifically. What in your mind defines "legalism?" I guess the kaykay definition would go something like this --"legalism is striving to obey the letter of the law rather than the spirit or intent of the law." Does that make sense? I'm just kinda thinking out loud this afternoon. When does attempting to be righteous fall into "legalism?" Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,253,628 times
I'm glad you started this kaykay... I was thinking it would be a good idea for discussion..You beat me to it!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,408,283 times
That's pretty much what legalism is, Kaykay. One of my favorite quotes goes like this:

The essence of legalism is trusting in religious activity rather than trusting in God. It is placing our confidence in a practice rather than in a Person - and, without fail, this will lead us to love the practice more than the Person.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,567,129 times
Your definition is a good one that I have observed often. Another is to manipulate text and context to derive a more preferential interpretation.

In the Graven Image thread we have almost surely gone there as we try to determine if the command is against all sculpted, carved or cast images or it is only against those type of images used for the purpose of idolatry. If we separate the parts of the verse and hold them as stand alone contexts, it is clear that all graven images are prohibited. If, however, we take these parts of the verse as a whole, then they are only prohibited when used or intend for use in specific ways.

I think either practice qualifies as a method of legalism, legalistically speaking of course.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,790,907 times
This is a great description: Legalism (theology): - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
The essence of legalism is trusting in religious activity rather than trusting in God. It is placing our confidence in a practice rather than in a Person - and, without fail, this will lead us to love the practice more than the Person.
Good quote. And someone who is legalistic will often find a "loophole" in the practice... resulting in contradictions. If the spirit is kept, there shouldn't be contradictions. (altho none of us is perfect!)

Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,259,859 times
So does this mean that we don't have to keep the ten commandments anymore;
And those who are concerned with them being taken out of our schools are Legalistic?
Just asking you to help me understand..
I love you guys!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,040,354 times
So is keeping the Sabbath holy being legalistic?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
So does this mean that we don't have to keep the ten commandments anymore;
And those who are concerned with them being taken out of our schools are Legalistic?
Just asking you to help me understand..
I love you guys!!!
Well, in some instances the "ten commandments" were expanded on... for example, we shouldn't bow down to a literal idol, but that has to do with our worship.. we still shouldn't bow down to anything but God.. our work, our family, peer pressure, the almighty dollar, etc. The old law wasn't abolished, but fulfilled. Big difference.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,259,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This was mentioned recently on another thread, and I thought we might could talk about it specifically. What in your mind defines "legalism?" I guess the kaykay definition would go something like this --"legalism is striving to obey the letter of the law rather than the spirit or intent of the law." Does that make sense? I'm just kinda thinking out loud this afternoon. When does attempting to be righteous fall into "legalism?" Thoughts???
What Is Legalism?

John W. Robbins

Legalism is the notion that a sinner can, by his own efforts, or by the power of the Holy Spirit in his life, do some work to obtain or retain his salvation. Some legalists think man has free will and can perform good works if he just sets his mind to it, thereby obtaining the favor of God. This type of legalist thinks that a sinner can believe the Gospel on his own steam. Other legalists think that a sinner does not have free will, that any good he does is done by the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in him, and it is these good deeds done by the power of the Holy Spirit that obtain or help obtain, retain or help retain, his salvation. Both types of legalists, but especially the latter, may acknowledge that Christ's work of obedience is necessary for salvation, but both deny that Christ's work is sufficient for salvation. Both types of legalists assert that to Christ's work must be added the works of the sinner, done either under his own steam, or by the power of the Holy Spirit. That is what makes them legalists: their shared belief in the incompleteness or insufficiency of the work of Christ outside of them. They may differ on what constitutes good works; they may differ on whether only God's law or church law as well is to be obeyed; but they agree that the work of Christ alone is insufficient for their final salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity