Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse (see original post for definition of "worse")
A non-believer of Christ 12 32.43%
A believer who believes differently than you in regards to Christ 0 0%
Beets 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
actually, maybe the whole beet thing and age thing isnt to far off thread, now that i think about it, maybe just maybe when we were younger we didnt like beets, dont want them on my plate, dont put them near me, i want no part of them, then as we get older (mature in Christ) our preferences change, and we are more willing to try different things for God that we previously would not have tried..am i making any sense? just trying to pull together a thought..
hmmm...do you think that there are those that completely deny the existance of the beet?

(I follow you, arguy.)

OH, and you guys are so young!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldzajd View Post
The only way you're ever going to stop the rain from coming thru your roof is to go up there and fix the hole.
Or stick a beet in it.

Quote:
The rain will stop when it gets good and ready.
If the rain stops, I will water my beets.

()

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
This theory is probably the closest. It's usually a matter of what we see as dangerous deception.

To give an example:

You see someone who is not at all interested in being "green". They say "Yeah, I probably should, but it's not important enough to me right now. Maybe someday."

Then there is someone else who loudly proclaims that they are living green, (tho all evidence suggests otherwise) and are gaining quite a following of others who are doing absolutely nothing about their lifestyle, in fact are hampering the cause by promoting loud talking (or superficial changes) and no real action. People joining this group feel like they are doing something, when actually they are not.
I think this is a very valid point - I understand the criticism of superficiality. But that's not what I see as strange.
I see vehement opposition from some Christians to other types of Christians who are likely very devoted to their religion but it just happens to be "wrong". For instance: Evangelicals vs. Catholics, Mormons, JWs, and all of the others. Certainly not all of the followers of all of those are just lazy, superficial hypocrites.

In another thread about being "Christ-like" I mentioned French Jesuits who did everything in their power to get at the souls of native tribes of the New World. Now, what they did (their methods) was "wrong" by most of today's standards. But those men were deeply devoted to Christ, and honestly believed that they were specifically chosen (by God) to do God's work. But a lot of Christians would still be comfortable calling them "not Christian". That's what strikes me as odd.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I think this is a very valid point - I understand the criticism of superficiality. But that's not what I see as strange.
I see vehement opposition from some Christians to other types of Christians who are likely very devoted to their religion but it just happens to be "wrong". For instance: Evangelicals vs. Catholics, Mormons, JWs, and all of the others. Certainly not all of the followers of all of those are just lazy, superficial hypocrites.

In another thread about being "Christ-like" I mentioned French Jesuits who did everything in their power to get at the souls of native tribes of the New World. Now, what they did (their methods) was "wrong" by most of today's standards. But those men were deeply devoted to Christ, and honestly believed that they were specifically chosen (by God) to do God's work. But a lot of Christians would still be comfortable calling them "not Christian". That's what strikes me as odd.
Good points, and good questions. It is true that there is too much bashing happening... and we often have a too narrow window in which we think God can work. But we still have the Bible.. and if something is clearly not scriptural (or ignoring parts, overly promoting others) it can have just as bad or worse of an effect as being "superficial". And the proof is in the carbon footprint.

(or maybe, the "greenhouse gases." .. [there's one thing about beets... ])

Last edited by cg81; 05-02-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Ok! I voted for beets... because I like beets! I prefer pickled... yum on my salad especially....

O, do beets causes gases?

I know brussel sprouts dooooooos!!
but those sweet beets!

Yes, I think imo you are making a lot of sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973
actually, maybe the whole beet thing and age thing isnt to far off thread, now that i think about it, maybe just maybe when we were younger we didnt like beets, dont want them on my plate, dont put them near me, i want no part of them, then as we get older (mature in Christ) our preferences change, and we are more willing to try different things for God that we previously would not have tried..am i making any sense? just trying to pull together a thought..
Blessings

Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Since this whole beet thing started last night I have searched my cupboards for that glass jar of delicacy that only I appreciate in this house..Not finding any, and with a craving that threatened violence I yelled "Who ate my pickled beets that I had hidden!!!".. three grandsons and one h all said
"Not me..eeeewwww"..So I made an emergency run to the store and now I have my jar of pickled beets and my jar of boiled eggs marinating in pickled beet juice..YUMMYAlmost as good as my vanilla wafers and mustard

Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Since this whole beet thing started last night I have searched my cupboards for that glass jar of delicacy that only I appreciate in this house..Not finding any, and with a craving that threatened violence I yelled "Who ate my pickled beets that I had hidden!!!".. three grandsons and one h all said
"Not me..eeeewwww"..So I made an emergency run to the store and now I have my jar of pickled beets and my jar of boiled eggs marinating in pickled beet juice..YUMMYAlmost as good as my vanilla wafers and mustard
What! ewww... You've gotta be kidding me

Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Don't kill me...

Quote:
Almost as good as my vanilla wafers and mustard
Now THAT is something that I think we can safely chalk up to "age"...

(luv ya, blue!)

(I didn't say "senile"!)

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
quote: Almost as good as my vanilla wafers and mustard

O, my...... are you serious????

But I have some vanilla wafers and mustard.... and this one will try it before I judge this flavor of this delicacy to one who loves it.
Because I love Blue...

Now I eat the delicacy of vanilla wafers with marshmallow cream... yum, yum!!

Blessings

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
..YUMMYAlmost as good as my vanilla wafers and mustard
blue blue blue.. no ma'am...

There are many acceptable things to eat with the nilla' wafers.. However, Dr. Tom McKdonteatthat has firmly stated that nilla' wafers never go with mustard. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity