U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,966,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I believe baptism was performed in the 1st century, via immersion. Believe and be baptized was the call and thousands did. However, the saving grace and the forgiveness of sins comes through the spirit via Jesus. Jesus (God) is the only one who can forgive sins through a clensing of our spirit. Water batpism does not have saving or forgiving power since the resurrection of Christ.

I then said "for arguments sake" ... meaning this: If the RCC believes baptism is for the forgiveness of sin, as stated in the Creed, then shouldn't they follow the NT mold and baptize by immersion and only after one confesses their belief in Christ? That's how the apostles did it. It was just an observation on my part that the Creed says one thing, yet the RCC does another. That is all.

But seeing as I don't believe one receives foregiveness via baptism, it's a moot issue for me how the RCC baptizes. That's what I meant. Hope it's clearer.
Many Catholic churches are now installing baptismal pools for total immersion, although we do not believe it is mandatory.
I think our biggest difference would be our belief in infant baptism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,308,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Many Catholic churches are now installing baptismal pools for total immersion, although we do not believe it is mandatory.
I think our biggest difference would be our belief in infant baptism.
My last four children where all baptised my immersion in the RCC that I attend. During the Easter Vigil all participants are immersed; Adults and infants alike. During baptismal prep, parents are incouraged in immerse their children, but very few ever take that option (I can't imagine why). I would also descripe our 'sprinkling" as more of a "pouring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or