Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 186,875 times

Advertisements

Again, I dont' meand to offend anyone!!!

I'm sorry I'm just not convinced about the whole Mary thing. While I respect her for what she did, I'm just not praying to or through her or anyone else for that matter. I'm going directly to Jesus/God. I don't mean to offend but I think the Mary thing is strictly a Catholic church concept created by man. Tradition if you will. We have a direct line if you will, to Jesus. You don't need anyone else, for anything.

Just my thoughts,

In Christ,

Junos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM

224 posts, read 413,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post

I'm sorry I'm just not convinced about the whole Mary thing. While I respect her for what she did, I'm just not praying to or through her or anyone else for that matter. I'm going directly to Jesus/God. I don't mean to offend but I think the Mary thing is strictly a Catholic church concept created by man. Tradition if you will. We have a direct line if you will, to Jesus. You don't need anyone else, for anything.

Just my thoughts,

In Christ,

Junos
Well said Junos .......Well said.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,569,366 times
Quote:

Just my thoughts,

In Christ,

Junos
This is how I have been raised....

to weatherologist....are there catholics who feel the same as I do???
what happenes if you dont pray to Mary...is it looked down on,

I went to Catholic school for 1st and 2nd grade only..there are some things I remember, my First Communion, the roasry beads and the Hail Mary prayer.
I have some very old prayer books for children "The Remembrance of my first holy communion"1958- I could never "get it"...
I also have a "Mass misal" from 1944 -1945 it was my grandmothers and I cherish it ....I just wish to gather more information, since my gramma was a catholic all her life....before she died she prayed to ask Jesus into her heart and I saw a change in her ( smile) peace on her face...if you will.

I dont think she was "wrong" at all in being catholic...I just dont understand it all.

Thanx again for your time with me.........

Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,778,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post

what happenes if you dont pray to Mary...is it looked down on, .........
Nay,
I certainly don't think that you would be looked down upon for not praying to Mary. First off, how would anyone know? As I said before, I do not pray to other Saints. I have never felt the need. Also, I do no really "KNOW" the other Saints. I feel that I know Mary. I feel that I have the connection of "mother" with her. I recently attended a Woman's Retreat where the concentration was on "girl" friends and why we need that connection. They focused a lot on the connection that Mary had with Elizabeth. They showed a wonderful film on the life of Mary that had been financed by the Shriver family and backed by the Catholic Church, meaning it was found to be biblically correct. It was really a wonderful film and I felt blessed to have seen it. Again, I pray to Mary because I feel connected with her. I go to her for intercession in the same way that I would go to a loving mentor or a friend.

Quote:
I went to Catholic school for 1st and 2nd grade only..there are some things I remember, my First Communion, the roasry beads and the Hail Mary prayer.
I have some very old prayer books for children "The Remembrance of my first holy communion"1958- I could never "get it"...
I also have a "Mass misal" from 1944 -1945 it was my grandmothers and I cherish it ....I just wish to gather more information, since my gramma was a catholic all her life....before she died she prayed to ask Jesus into her heart and I saw a change in her ( smile) peace on her face...if you will.

I dont think she was "wrong" at all in being catholic...I just dont understand it all.

I presume that you are not a practicing Catholic at this time. Am I correct? What faith/church do you attend, if any? You sound as if you loved your grandma very much. You are blessed to have had that connection with her. The night my father passed away I remember telling him, "it was OK for him to go home now." He had been suffering from cancer and alcohol withdraw for weeks. He was not coherant. I don't know why he kept hanging on, but I said, "we will take care of everything, daddy. Go home. I'm going home now too." My Father died that night. I believe that he was at peace. He converted to Catholicism about 7 years before he died.

Please feel free to continue to ask whatever you need of me. You may also feel free to DM me. It can get pretty harsh "out here".

God bless and peace be with you.

<>< weather...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,574,581 times
weatherologist
Quote:
The night my father passed away I remember telling him, "it was OK for him to go home now." He had been suffering from cancer and alcohol withdraw for weeks. He was not coherant. I don't know why he kept hanging on, but I said, "we will take care of everything, daddy. Go home. I'm going home now too." My Father died that night. I believe that he was at peace. He converted to Catholicism about 7 years before he died.

God bless and peace be with you.

<>< weather...
Beautiful story & quite real.

My father-in-law was dying from pneumonia & Alzheimer’s. He stopped struggling & calmly died when we told him to let go of us & take hold of Jesus' hand. It was a very touching experience for all present. Several days before & while my father-in-law was coherent we had a family mass in the hospital room w/ the family's parish pastor & over 20 relatives crammed in the room. It was our celebration of his life as a child of God as we sang the Mass & cried w/ our father. His funeral mass was a week later & a joyful acceptance that "Pop" is in heaven.

This is a Lutheran family btw. On the lighter side "Pop" was under the impression that he was actually in a retreat house instead of in assisted living. Whenever his pastor would visit him w/ holy communion, Pop would tell the pastor how much he was enjoying the retreat but ask if it was time to go home now. Pop taught catechism classes.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM

62 posts, read 186,875 times
Quote:

what happenes if you dont pray to Mary...is it looked down on,

Nay,

I'm not saying being Catholic is wrong, my point is that we don't need to pray to or through anyone else but Jesus, he's our mediator. 1 Timothy. 2:5 - For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men.

I read the Bible everyday and if someone does something or says something that doesn't sit right with me, I'll research it to see what it's a bout. A lot of times the Church does thing out of tradition and most of the time it's just not biblical. If I say anything that doesn't sit right with anyone, please let me know. I'm only human and I do make mistakes!

From what you said, your G-Ma prayed to Jesus. Not Mary or any other being. This is great!!! I did not mean to offend you. If I did I sincerly apologize!

In Christ,

J

Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
Quote:
my point is that we don't need to pray to or through anyone else but Jesus, he's our mediator. 1 Timothy. 2:5 - For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men.
I think you may be latching on to a meaning for "pray" that wasn't intended in the original language of the Bible --- or even in the English of a hundred years ago.

Pray simply means "ask." You can ask for someone to hold the door for you, pass the salt, or refill your glass. It doesn't mean you think the person is God. It simply means you are asking them for something.

The same is true in many Catholic prayers. There is a devotion and a worship due to God alone, a truth that the Church affirms. However, that does not mean that we cannot ask other human beings for something, be it a glass of water or their prayers.

The Catholic understanding is simply that the saints who have died in Christ are alive. We can ask for their prayers, just as you could ask Brother Bob or Sister Sally in the pew behind you for their prayers.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM

224 posts, read 413,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think you may be latching on to a meaning for "pray" that wasn't intended in the original language of the Bible --- or even in the English of a hundred years ago.

Pray simply means "ask." You can ask for someone to hold the door for you, pass the salt, or refill your glass. It doesn't mean you think the person is God. It simply means you are asking them for something.

The same is true in many Catholic prayers. There is a devotion and a worship due to God alone, a truth that the Church affirms. However, that does not mean that we cannot ask other human beings for something, be it a glass of water or their prayers.

The Catholic understanding is simply that the saints who have died in Christ are alive. We can ask for their prayers, just as you could ask Brother Bob or Sister Sally in the pew behind you for their prayers.

Here we go with the semantics again .

Junos didn't you know that pray doesn't pray when you want it to but pray does mean pray when other want it to unless of course we are discussing Mary the Mother of God: The Virgin Mary: Mary Queen of the Universe: Mary Mediator between Man And The Mediator Jesus.

Do you see it now Junos..........
LOL silly rabbit Prayer is only Prayer when you want it to be.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,569,366 times
Quote:
Nay,

I'm not saying being Catholic is wrong, my point is that we don't need to pray to or through anyone else but Jesus, he's our mediator. 1 Timothy. 2:5 - For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men.

I read the Bible everyday and if someone does something or says something that doesn't sit right with me, I'll research it to see what it's a bout. A lot of times the Church does thing out of tradition and most of the time it's just not biblical. If I say anything that doesn't sit right with anyone, please let me know. I'm only human and I do make mistakes!

From what you said, your G-Ma prayed to Jesus. Not Mary or any other being. This is great!!! I did not mean to offend you. If I did I sincerly apologize!

In Christ,

J

you misunderstand me.........
I am a born again christian. I love Jesus and agree with the above post...

The Lord has laid on my heart...I am no mans judge.....
I wish to understand where catholics are 'coming from'. I have never been raised on/or learned about the "church" RCC... so this is why I ask....

I think it ill for any 'christian' to tell any 'catholic' he/she is not going to heaven d/t 'church' beliefs....

I read and understand the Bible - fully. There are too many variants in ones life for me to determine wether or not they are "saved".....

I am no mans judge.....

( oooh p.s. I do not assume you are one of those 'christians'-just how I feel...)

Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 PM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
Never mind. Post deleted.

Last edited by Mark S.; 05-14-2008 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: It wasn't very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity