U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM

12,382 posts, read 14,669,250 times
Default Forgive and forget

We know that God forgives our sins if we ask in humbleness and sincerity..We also know that He will forgive and forget our sins..
I find forgiving easy, but forgetting is very hard..Even when I feel Gods peace that I have been forgiven, it seems like my sins are front and center staring me in the face each time I remember..How are we able to forget?
Is forgetting reserved to God? Does our rememberance of past sins mean we have fooled ourselves into thinking we have forgiven someone?

If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matthew 6:14-15

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins. Put Me in remembrance; let us contend together; state your case, that you may be acquitted.
Isaiah 43:25-26"Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
Hebrews 10:17

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-07-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: fix content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 AM

8,285 posts, read 10,746,558 times
In those scriptures you quoted, I think "remember" might be a poor translation in today's sense of the word.

God doesn't give Himself amnesia, nor does he expect it from us. A better translation in today's vernacular might be, "I won't hold it against you."

So don't worry if you can't muster up amnesia. That just means you're human. But forgiveness does mean that you don't hold a grudge.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,559,704 times
I doubt we will ever be able to forget some things, but when we remember them and we are able to pray for that person or person(s) and remember without having ill feelings or a feeling of bitterness that maybe we have let it go and forgave. For me the closer I stick to Jesus the easier it is to just "let it go".

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,863,737 times
Forgive is the easy part.

I'm simply not programmed to forget.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,055,162 times
Actually, the phrase "forgive and forget" isn't in the Bible. It instructs us numerous times to forgive. As a matter of fact, Christians who don't forgive (which is a command of God) are at risk of reaping bitterness and losing eternal rewards.

Hebrews 12:14-15 "Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;"

2 John 1:8 "Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward."

Forgiving is a decision of our wills, so we have to make a conscious choice to forgive. But, what if the one we're trying to forgive doesn't want forgiveness? What if they could care less about our forgiveness? That doesn't change anything for us. We're to make our decision to forgive known because we each answer for ourselves before God.

It would be great to be able to hit the "Delete" button in our brains, like we do on the computer, but that's not possible most of the time. We deal with that the same way God deals with us. The Bible says He forgives us and remembers our sin no more. He treats us as if we never sinned. THAT is how we "forget," too. Treat the other person(s) as if they never committed any wrong against us.

Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

We may not be able to "forget" the sin, but we can treat the other person as if they never committed any wrong.

A friend of mine said, "Forgiving is giving up our right to hold a grudge."

Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,881,423 times
It sounds like you all are saying that ony the forgive part is necessary - or even possible. What about the forget part?
Why is that in there if it doesn't mean anything different from forgive?

Personally, I find the forgive part more difficult.
I have completely forgotten many things that I never forgave anybody for. I know this because when they come up later I have to recall the situation, and usually I can just barely remember the bad feelings - so forgiveness is often not necessary for me to move past most offenses. I suppose major ones might require forgiveness before I could forget, but I have a pretty short memory of negative emotions.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It sounds like you all are saying that ony the forgive part is necessary - or even possible. What about the forget part?
Why is that in there if it doesn't mean anything different from forgive?
I explained it in my post above yours. We aren't instructed to "forget" in the Bible. "Forgive and forget" is nowhere in the Bible. But we can treat those we've forgiven the same way God treats us - as if we've never sinned. We can all do that, relying on God's ability and not our own.

Quote:
Personally, I find the forgive part more difficult.
I have completely forgotten many things that I never forgave anybody for. I know this because when they come up later I have to recall the situation, and usually I can just barely remember the bad feelings - so forgiveness is often not necessary for me to move past most offenses. I suppose major ones might require forgiveness before I could forget, but I have a pretty short memory of negative emotions.
It's interesting how different aspects are more difficult to some and other aspects are more difficult for others. The results should be the same nonetheless. Forgive.

Personally, I find forgiving quite easy. I'm eager to forgive people! As I get older, I find the "forgetting" getting easier, too. Sometimes it's a challenge, but, for the most part, I realized that I just don't have the strength to hold onto bitterness, resentment, unforgiveness or even trying to remember or "keep score." What a waste of energy!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,881,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post

Personally, I find forgiving quite easy. I'm eager to forgive people! As I get older, I find the "forgetting" getting easier, too. Sometimes it's a challenge, but, for the most part, I realized that I just don't have the strength to hold onto bitterness, resentment, unforgiveness or even trying to remember or "keep score." What a waste of energy!
Yeah, for me to forget is essentially to forgive because either one means that I no longer harbor negative feelings towards someone/something.

Usually, I don't choose to forgive for forgiveness' sake - I'll work on forgiveness if I can't just naturally forget.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM

7,739 posts, read 6,345,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I explained it in my post above yours. We aren't instructed to "forget" in the Bible. "Forgive and forget" is nowhere in the Bible. But we can treat those we've forgiven the same way God treats us - as if we've never sinned. We can all do that, relying on God's ability and not our own.
I remember reading some verse, that If someone wronged you, forgive them, yet beware or be guarded... so you don't get duped again. So there may be reason not to forget. Maybe someone can provide a reference.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I remember reading some verse, that If someone wronged you, forgive them, yet beware or be guarded... so you don't get duped again. So there may be reason not to forget. Maybe someone can provide a reference.
That's a good point. As I said, we aren't biblically instructed to "forget." We can treat the person as if they never wronged us, but that doesn't mean that we have to fall into the same trap. We're wiser from the experience (hopefully).

However, it doesn't mean that trust CAN'T be extended again. It's depends on each person and the situation and, hopefully, the answer they get from God when they prayer about the matter.

EDITED TO ADD: PanTerra, I just re-read your post. (I had originally misread it, thinking you were saying something else. I agree with you. Proverbs 4:23 says to guard our hearts. 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15 warn us that, even though we may end up having to distance ourselves from some people, we are not to have a bitter or resentful attitude toward them. Great point!

Last edited by Simple Living; 05-07-2008 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity