Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,392 times

Advertisements

When I went to pre-marriage counseling, my pastor gave a few examples of situations where divorce would be permissable:

1) If a spouse cheated and would not end the relationship and repent.
2) If a spouse revealed that he/she was gay and wanted to live a gay lifestyle.
3) If a spouse abandoned their husband/wife
4) If a spouse were physically or emotionally abusive and not willing to receive counseling and change their ways.

I believe there was a fifth reason, but I don't remember what it was. Seems like most people----including Christians ---- will divorce for just about any reason these days including "I'm just not in love with him/her anymore."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 654 times
There are so many things that married couples deal with and circumstances are not the same. My situation was addressed very briefly in the post saying that God grants divorce for 2 reasons. My husband committed adultery and then decided to abandon me. According to him, he does not want a divorce and from what I can tell, has no intentions of coming back. I have not prayed for God to send him back, but instead that God's will be done. In the meantime, I have been standing still for the past 7 months. Now I am ready to move on with my life but want to do it God's way. The physical connection between him and me for me is no longer there. I Thank God that I have no anger or bitterness toward him, just disappointment. I was wondering if there is anything in the Bible that speaks to my situation.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Gaulden View Post
There are so many things that married couples deal with and circumstances are not the same. My situation was addressed very briefly in the post saying that God grants divorce for 2 reasons. My husband committed adultery and then decided to abandon me. According to him, he does not want a divorce and from what I can tell, has no intentions of coming back. I have not prayed for God to send him back, but instead that God's will be done. In the meantime, I have been standing still for the past 7 months. Now I am ready to move on with my life but want to do it God's way. The physical connection between him and me for me is no longer there. I Thank God that I have no anger or bitterness toward him, just disappointment. I was wondering if there is anything in the Bible that speaks to my situation.
God said there are two reasons that he allows a divorce:
[1] marital unfaithfulness: Matthew 19:9, Matthew 5:31,32
[2] malicious desertion of the spouse: Malachi 2:14-15

You are not expected to do anything other than what you have done as you here described.
Be ready for God to move you on where he wants you to be.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem as if all theses "laws" and decrees (especially about divorce and women's behavior) are written strictly from a MALE perspective? If these laws are to be taken seriously, why wouldn't the fundie god-n-the-tiny-box have addressed the law(s) from a woman's perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity