Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,180,468 times

Advertisements

I may not be American, or even a Christian, but I guess archbishop Tutu perfectly words my opinion about America and their politics.

Quote:
Archbishop Desmond Tutu: Remember that the resentment and the anger leveled at the United States is not leveled against Americans as Americans. It is leveled against a particular policy followed by a particular administration, and change the policy or maybe change the administration, and you will find, I mean, that there is very little anti-Americanism in the world. There is a lot of -- I mean, there is a lot of anger at an America that has been arrogant and an America that believe it is good, go it alone. You know, your unilateralism where you went to the United Nations thinking that they would just endorse your view, and when they said no, you said go jump in the lake, and you went and you did your own thing, and you landed in a huge mess. Well, people don't want to say we told you so, you know, because you realize, I mean, after 9/11, most of the world was deeply -- I mean, America was held in the highest. People really felt deeply for you, and I'm sure you all felt loved, and you dissipated it in next to no time. You know, I mean, chop, chop, chop, and it disappeared, but it shows, you know, it isn't that there is an ingrained hatred of America. There isn't. I mean, people love you, and you can still travel I think. On the whole, you can travel in most parts of the world, but they certainly -- and I share -- I share that anger at your arrogance, at your bully, bully boy behavior. I mean, it doesn't sit well. If you change that, you will be -- you will be the blue-eyed boy, blue-eyed girl of the world.

Source: Desmond Tutu Interview -- page 4 / 4 -- Academy of Achievement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM

15 posts, read 55,835 times
I believe that God holds us accountable for our actions, or lack there of. I also believe that God is in charge no matter how we vote, he even knows the outcome. To do anything without arming ourselves without His knowledge and help is not only risky but shows Him we are denying God. Pray, read His word, ask him for the truth to the specific matter, he will guide you in the decision. It may be that He will work in others to sway the vote and not you, therefore you vote will not make a difference. If you have truly seeked His council, but the outside world influences you to change your decision, you have denied Him and He will hold you accountable. Can you bring others to Christ through voting? Now that's a good question for a different thread, don't you think?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The church I grew up in preached that whoever votes for a candidate that supports gay rights, God would hold just as guilty as the homosexual himself on judgement day. Same with abortion...if somebody votes for a candidate that supports abortion, God will hold them personally responsible for EVERY abortion that has ever occurred. Most people in my denomination and many among evangelical Christians as a whole hold views that Christians are to vote Republican.

I admit I voted for Bush the last two elections for this very reason. I was so close to voting for Kerry in 2004, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This election, I will probably vote for McCain for the same reason, but a big part of me wants to vote Democrat for the first time. What does God think about our politics and how will he hold us accountable for how we vote?
Hmm.. cutting of your nose to spite your face comes to mind.

Democratic Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" The party believes that government should play a role in alleviating poverty and social injustice, even if such requires a larger role for government and progressive taxation."

and the Republicans

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Republican Party is the more socially conservative and economically libertarian of the two major parties. The party generally supports lower taxes and limited government in most economic areas allowing for more economic freedom."

So you have one party that favors a larger role for government in hopes of alleviating poverty and social injustice.. and another party who generally supports lower taxes and limited governement.

So basically your pastor is saying "yeah those poor people.. I'd really like to help them.. I mean it is what Jesus says to do.. help those in need.. but know whats more important. Gays. We just shouldn't have them. So vote Republican because that way there won't be any more gays."

Hmm.. Opposition to "Gays" is more imporant than helping those in need.

Honestly.. that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard??

I'd refer your pastor to : BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Matthew 25:31-46

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,006,486 times
After reading the last post, I had this thought about the role of government and the role of church - as God may see it....

It seems to me that NOT expecting government to be the savior of all mankind opens the door for the church to do what God called us to do, that is, give to the poor. Unfortunately, as it is, even some ministries are looking at government programs to fund things for them.. government grants.. etc. (I found this to be true in urban ministries...)

God wants the church to give so He can give back to us - not any Word of Faith thing... but because He wants to reward us for giving out of pure motives.... pressed down, shaken together... so we'll have more to give.

God wants us to give to those in need and thereby show His love... but, even many christians believe it's the role of government to do it.

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-21-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by World Citizen
Quote:
God wants us to give to those in need and thereby show His love... but, even many christians believe it's the role of government to do it.
I guess this is what generally happens when you start to pay people.
They start believing that they own you because they paid good money for it.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by World CitizenI guess this is what generally happens when you start to pay people.
This post makes no sense. Who's paying anyone????

We can talk about how government in our country has caused many to be dependent upon it... through it's many social programs. But, that is something you wouldn't know about since you're in the Netherlands.

From reading your many posts, I feel really bad for you. You think you're very wise but really you come across as an angry, critical, cynical person. It seems that you're trying to blame christians for every social injustice...

I'm sorry you hate us. We don't hate you!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-21-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by World Citizen
Quote:
This post makes no sense. Who's paying anyone????
How do politicians get their salaries?
Isn't that through taxes?
Whether it is America or Europe or China, politicians (and dictators) are paid by the people.
Unfortunately we humans have come to see payment as owning things.
Do we not pay for the things we want to own?
Especially when you believe that the customer is always right.

Quote:
You think you're very wise but really you come across as an angry, critical, cynical person.
This is your opinion, which basically has nothing to do with me.
Please be so kind to take responsibility for your own decisions and interpretations of my words.

Quote:
It seems that you're trying to blame christians for every social injustice...
All I'm saying is that Christians should have known better, especially when they claim to follow Jesus.

Quote:
I'm sorry you hate us. We don't hate you!
I do not hate Christians I only ( often) disagree with them and have no problem with voicing my opinions.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM

188 posts, read 504,879 times
I think God would say "Vote for Me, forget about the rest."

Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 PM

738 posts, read 1,878,442 times
We must vote for leaders who promote Christian principles. The suffering we encounter on earth is because of godless leadership (Proverbs 28:12).
There are not many political issues having spiritual gain.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Default I still don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by World CitizenI guess this is what generally happens when you start to pay people.
I read your response to my post regarding the above referenced answer to my former post..

and, I still don't see that what you said relates to this answer... ???

But, it really doesn't matter..

Have a nice evening, TrickyD!
I really do love ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity