Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM

326 posts, read 1,107,753 times

Advertisements

This has taught me a very lot! It explains a mans journey in the Mormon faith and what he has discovered. I learned so much from reading this. It is a blessing to have this information to be able to share to people.

Click here!
Pencil portraits, professionally done, make a unique and special gift (http://maramela.com/Mormons.html - broken link)

Last edited by corking28; 05-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: click

Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
you learned a lot huh?the story isnt even about a man its about a woman who strayed from her morman beliefs,started drinking and drugging and got herself pregnant by another morman who wasnt following his beliefs and was out drinking and drugging.did you actually read it?considering that mormans also read the bible i found it a bit preposterous that she had such a limited knowledge of what 'other christian'groups believe.even mormans have heard of the concept of hell,it does occur not only in the bible,which they also read,but is included in the book of morman.it also occurs to me that anyone who spent as much time studing the morman religion as she claimed would know that the people 'turned dark' in nephi were the 'lamanites',ancestors of some native americans,not black people.most of the 'differences' cited between mormans and some other christians theologies arent compared between the bible and book of morman but rather outtakes of speeches by former church leaders and members.many leaders of many religions have made contraversial statements,there is sometimes a difference between that and 'actual church doctrine'.the lack of cited differences between the bible and book of morman leads me to conclude there arent that many major theological differences.i am not morman nor very religious but i have studied their beliefs a bit and find many of the anti-morman sites lack a basic knowledge of morman theology.if i,a non morman,can find numerous holes in an arguement it doesnt surprise me that such sites have little effect at helping mormans 'see the light'.i think that most anti-morman sites arent even really reaching out to mormans but rather trying to stop others from learning about them ,often using distortions and scare tactics

Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
i'm sorry corking, but you are setting yourself up to be fairly comical. i am not sure how you don't see it yet, but this is not the right way to go about influencing people. you're coming across as more of a g w bush than a peter, paul, or john.

that story represents mormon life about as well as a chic tract. i am sorry that the lady (not a man) had a hard life. i'm sorry that her dreams were dashed to pieces by her own choices. but how does that make mormonism look bad? as she fell away from the church she became a miserable, pregnant drug addict. seems like a bad example if you are trying to persuade people that mormonism is evil, whether or not she gets the actual doctrines right or wrong.

now, agreeing with the second poster, how on earth did you get the idea that you learned anything from this story? how did you miss the fact that the author--married to a man, pregnant--was a woman? i try to give the benefit of the doubt as often as i am able, but this goes beyond the 'musta-skipped-a-line' problem.

if you really want to learn of one man's journey through mormonism, i'd be happy to share.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Git 'er, Aaron Reps for being fair and uninsulting in your adverserial response!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
thank you. as much as i want to, i still *try* to be cordial and moderate. i know, i know, the world hates moderates... but it's the only shoe size that fits.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
you learned a lot huh?the story isnt even about a man its about a woman who strayed from her morman beliefs,started drinking and drugging and got herself pregnant by another morman who wasnt following his beliefs and was out drinking and drugging.did you actually read it?considering that mormans also read the bible i found it a bit preposterous that she had such a limited knowledge of what 'other christian'groups believe.even mormans have heard of the concept of hell,it does occur not only in the bible,which they also read,but is included in the book of morman.it also occurs to me that anyone who spent as much time studing the morman religion as she claimed would know that the people 'turned dark' in nephi were the 'lamanites',ancestors of some native americans,not black people.most of the 'differences' cited between mormans and some other christians theologies arent compared between the bible and book of morman but rather outtakes of speeches by former church leaders and members.many leaders of many religions have made contraversial statements,there is sometimes a difference between that and 'actual church doctrine'.the lack of cited differences between the bible and book of morman leads me to conclude there arent that many major theological differences.i am not morman nor very religious but i have studied their beliefs a bit and find many of the anti-morman sites lack a basic knowledge of morman theology.if i,a non morman,can find numerous holes in an arguement it doesnt surprise me that such sites have little effect at helping mormans 'see the light'.i think that most anti-morman sites arent even really reaching out to mormans but rather trying to stop others from learning about them ,often using distortions and scare tactics
Mormonism is a cult straight out of the pits of hell.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm sorry corking, but you are setting yourself up to be fairly comical. i am not sure how you don't see it yet, but this is not the right way to go about influencing people. you're coming across as more of a g w bush than a peter, paul, or john.

that story represents mormon life about as well as a chic tract. i am sorry that the lady (not a man) had a hard life. i'm sorry that her dreams were dashed to pieces by her own choices. but how does that make mormonism look bad? as she fell away from the church she became a miserable, pregnant drug addict. seems like a bad example if you are trying to persuade people that mormonism is evil, whether or not she gets the actual doctrines right or wrong.

now, agreeing with the second poster, how on earth did you get the idea that you learned anything from this story? how did you miss the fact that the author--married to a man, pregnant--was a woman? i try to give the benefit of the doubt as often as i am able, but this goes beyond the 'musta-skipped-a-line' problem.

if you really want to learn of one man's journey through mormonism, i'd be happy to share.
The truth needs to get out. You are living a lie.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corking28 View Post
so.....what church do you belong to corking?i dont belong to any church at this time but have learned from your posts thusfar that i have no desire to even check out a church which you would choose to call home

Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
The truth needs to get out. You are living a lie.
before you condemn others beliefs as 'lies' you should at least first investigate throughly what they actually 'believe'.its ok to understand the beliefs of catholics or mormans or jehovahs witnesses or muslims,buddists,klingons or jedi knights...and reject them..but you cant make an informed decision,and expect to others to be swayed to the rightness of your beliefs and the error of thiers if you dont even understand what they believe in the first place

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM

255 posts, read 608,490 times
Quote:
Corky, do you really think statements like that are going to encourage any Mormon or prospective Mormon to listen to what you have to say? Statements like that not only emphasize your lack of experience with Mormons and Mormonism, they also mark you as someone not capable of having or unwilling to have (not sure which) an adult discussion about Mormonism. It reflects a black-and-white thinking that makes a real conversation impossible.

And I say this as an ex-Mormon who agrees that some aspects of Mormonism can be unhealthy or cult-like. Yet somehow, whenever I read one of your posts, I want to defend Mormonism from your wild accusations. I'm pretty sure that's not the reaction you are going for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity