Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times

Advertisements

They won't believe you. They never do. But it was good that you posted this. Perhaps it will help keep someone else from joining? The other thing that would be good is a thread on Shunning, because they do that so well and over the most minor infractions. If I had known about this and those dates when I was younger I would not have joined. But the thing about Shunning is, they tell people that they only kick those out that are evil, and you believe them--you believe that they had actually turned against Jehovah and deserve to be kicked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
To all of you concerned about Alicenevada and her brothers and sisters in the faith who are obviously so misled, based on the odd sentences that have been quoted in the OP:

You owe it to yourselves to actually get the HARD COPIES of these publications and see whether the opinion you all seem to so readily embrace is indeed based on fact or if , instead, the above sentences have been sadly taken out of context. Some of them are simply lies that have been typed as if they were 'taken' from a publication. I actually have a Watchtower library that goes back to the first issue. I can view any supposed 'false prophecies' and see for myself whether they hold water. I'm certain that none of you can say the same and therefore, perhaps you should reserve your pities and concerns for a time when you care to educate yourself more fully.

Remember that when atheists post anti-bible threads on these boards, the Christians take one of three routes. Sometimes they insult the intelligence of the OP, damning them to hell with all sorts of insidious and passive aggressive accusations. Sometimes they use the bible to prove them wrong, which is itself an enigmatic approach. And sometimes, thankfully, they reason with the OP-explaining to them that they have devoted their entire lives to study of the scriptures and the history of the bible and have come to an educated decision that their beliefs are true. Would you expect any less from me ?

Last edited by alicenevada; 01-02-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,620 times
The hard copies say exactly the same thing, there is no "taking it out of context"---That is exactly how the JW's believed.

Speaking of hard copies, the JW organiztion is notorious for going back and changing verses in their books in order to make it look like they never taught certain things in the first place. You can't trust their WT CD to give you an accurate picture of what they believed, because in several instances they have went back and re-edited them to give the appearnce it was not taught.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM

And several of their key false prophecies have been conveniently left out of the search engine on their website.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
So basically what you're saying is to take your word for it?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 PM

sure, but if you can find the hard copies you can see for yourself, the problem is most of those hard copies are hard to come by, and alot of people nowadays use the CD version, which has been edited as they have seen fit.

Another problem is the JW org uses strong arm tactics to keep their own literature from being exposed on the internet. There was a website that was strictly JW Quotes, no commentary at all. The Watchtower legal team forced the website to close down. They don't want any evidence out there whatsoever.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
This is why I left, after much thought and prayer

Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM

303 posts, read 569,707 times
Heres a perfect parallel with Harold Camping whos predicting the rapture
on May 21st 2011
He predicted once before on September 6th 1994

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/harold_camping.htm

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

97 posts, read 55,687 times
Wow inquirer you are pretty hung up on dates sic. But do you get that JWs are saying things are getting worse not better and it's fulfilling Bible Prophecy. Just like the apostles only could see so far when they were on earth but knew the apostasy was making inroads when they were still alive. Times and seasons or periods when Jehovahs will in certain matters would take place were of real interest to his worshippers Act 1:7 who understood them as they were revealed. For you yourselves very well know that Jehovahs day is coming EXACTLY as a thief in the night.
Reader dont miss the purpose of the fact Jehovahs day is closer than 1914 15 or any of those other dates. Dont miss the purpose of Gods undeserved kindness. 2 Pet 3:9 Jehovah is loving patient but he has a time table to keep Kind regards

Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM

97 posts, read 55,687 times
I Thes 5:1, 2
Is there any OTHER RELIGION saying things are getting worse? And preaching Gods Kingdom as the Real solution to ALL MANS WOES EVEN DEATH????
No because they all side with the governments expecting the changes to come from that quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity