Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 09:10 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yes and it can begin now (John 14:23 + John 6:51).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Amen to that. Today is the day!

Rom 10:8 But what doth it say? 'Nigh thee is the saying—in thy mouth, and in thy heart:' that is, the saying of the faith, that we preach;
Rom 10:9 that if thou mayest confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and mayest believe in thy heart that God did raise him out of the dead, thou shalt be saved,
Rom 10:10 for with the heart doth one believe to righteousness, and with the mouth is confession made to salvation;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 06:01 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
If God exists, if Jesus is who he claimed to be, and if Jesus was really resurrected, then the answer to your question is 'yes.'
I fully agree Mike, the Bible definitely offers hope.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
An atheist might even agree with that.
Be pretty hard not to for sure

Old 09-11-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Of course, in Christ. That's where eternal life is, in Him.
Hi JJ, what would you say the first step of eternal life is?

Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yes and it can begin now (John 14:23 + John 6:51).
Amen to that CC

Old 05-15-2022, 03:41 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Sometimes, permanent non-existence after death seems to me to be desirable.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,842,411 times
It can indeed be enjoyed...

Jhn 6:47, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Jhn 10:10, The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:22 PM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I have said in other threads that humans would likely have to be transformed by some alchemy into something that is not exactly human in order to "enjoy" life that is truly eternal. I have cited factors like hedonic tone, which eventually robs everything of novelty and interest, given enough time.

That said, as jerwade pointed out, if everything is somehow as claimed for the Christian afterlife, and it turns out to be some endlessly blissful adventure, sure, what's not to like? It's vastly preferable in my mind to a cyclic afterlife concept involving reincarnation and karma and such, that's for sure.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:26 PM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Sometimes, permanent non-existence after death seems to me to be desirable.
I have come to feel this way virtually all the time. Life is all the more precious precisely because it is both rare and finite. It is also surprisingly comforting to know that there's a definite endpoint. Life can be by turns grand and tortuous. Eternal life as generally sold is supposed to be far better, but the afterlife is just asserted and it may be just as baffling as this life often is for all I know. So I just find it incredibly comforting to be done with it at some point. I genuinely am unperturbed by my mortality and don't really want immortality.

Another way I have put it is that we are by nature story-tellers. Our life is our biggest story, and like all stories, it needs a beginning, a middle, and -- yes -- an end.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:46 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have come to feel this way virtually all the time. Life is all the more precious precisely because it is both rare and finite. It is also surprisingly comforting to know that there's a definite endpoint. Life can be by turns grand and tortuous. Eternal life as generally sold is supposed to be far better, but the afterlife is just asserted and it may be just as baffling as this life often is for all I know. So I just find it incredibly comforting to be done with it at some point. I genuinely am unperturbed by my mortality and don't really want immortality.

Another way I have put it is that we are by nature story-tellers. Our life is our biggest story, and like all stories, it needs a beginning, a middle, and -- yes -- an end.
For me what I see is a general religious confusion/confusing of what pertains to the personal and the public, the prophetic and historic, the smaller and greater etc

Individually yes we have birth, life, death

And societally the same thing happens and was understood by the ‘ancient’ writers

The Scriptures were (are) not about any literal, individuals in their past - the narratives of both testaments referred to what was/is to come

Adam is not about any literal individual then, he is a federal ‘head’ same as the Christ/Messiah

There is many different levels and a lot of ‘referencing’ is in the Scriptures

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-15-2022 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity