Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 04:40 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. The way Jesus said His followers would be identified is by the agape love of God and each other, period! Absent that agape love, you are fooling yourself.
Agape love as found in Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35.
Christ's followers should have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule - Leviticus 19:18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes and showing that agape love is caring for others as Jesus instructed, and as Arizona outlined above. Caring for the sick and poor, welcoming the stranger----all that. That's the Christian love..........
The ^ above ^ I find to be showing ' practical love '. Practical love like the neighborly good Samaritan displayed.
He helped on a one-on-one basis as Jesus' illustration instructs to be done.

Besides showing practical love, first Jesus put first teaching about God's Kingdom - Luke 4:43
This is why Christian love includes what Jesus instructed to do at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8
To declare the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) on an international scale as it is being done today.
Even modern technology had made rapid Bible translation possible so that people in remote areas can have Scripture.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, identified by having the same self-sacrificing principled love for God and others as Jesus has.
Keeping Jesus' New Commandment as found at John 13:34-35.
We are now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:06 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
Quote:
Wrong. The way Jesus said His followers would be identified is by the agape love of God and each other, period! Absent that agape love, you are fooling yourself.
Not your kind of love. That’s human love.

“As the Father has loved me so I have loved you.”

“Abide in my love.”

“You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”

“If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple…….”

“I have made your name known to them and I will make it known so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.”

My way or the highway buddy.

No other way.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:11 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Not your kind of love. That’s human love.
Agape love is the Holy Spirit of God Jesus revealed on the Cross, It is the love we are to emulate. Fail to do so and none of your parrotings will avail you anything.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:24 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, identified by having the same self-sacrificing principled love for God and others as Jesus has.
We are now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
No. The love of God , genuine Agape love, is only with the righteous prophets who keep His word.

“The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify the truth.”

“Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit, He shall deliver righteousness to the nations.”

“The word of the LORD IS righteous and all His works are truthful. He loves justice and righteousness.”

As you can see from those last verses, the servant of the LORD delivers the word of God to the nations.

“Blessed is he who hears the word of the LORD and keeps it.”

Old 09-13-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Agape love is the Holy Spirit of God Jesus revealed on the Cross, It is the love we are to emulate. Fail to do so and none of your parrotings will avail you anything.
We are to emulate the servant of the LORD and the love he gave His followers. Not your false love that does not glorify the Father.

“My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple.”

Bear the fruit of the spirit and walk in the ways of the LORD.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:19 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
We are to emulate the servant of the LORD and the love he gave His followers. Not your false love that does not glorify the Father.

“My Father is glorified in your bearing much fruit and becoming my disciple.”

Bear the fruit of the spirit and walk in the ways of the LORD.
How can trying to emulate the love Jesus revealed on the Cross as God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness possibly be a false love? That IS the fruit of the Spirit which you obviously know nothing about.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:56 AM

299 posts, read 103,978 times
Quote:
Feeding the hungry, letting the prisoners go free, making the blind see is all in quoting the LORD. Has nothing to do with the flesh.

Oh. My. God.

You understand that your duty to the hungry is to recite scripture at them? Not food? Silly me. Why would anyone think it has anything to do with food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity