Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do Christians believe the "mark of the beast" will be?
A literal mark of "666" in forehead or hand 10 10.99%
An RFID or micro-chip in forehead or hand 35 38.46%
A form of credit/ID card (to hold in the hand) 1 1.10%
Other option other than ones listed 45 49.45%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 PM

249 posts, read 609,669 times

Advertisements

So, where is the biblical support for the belief in an "end to the world"?

There are numerous references to the "end of the age", but never an end of the Earth.

What basis is there for believing that the cycles of physical life, reproduction, and death will ever end?

To answer thoughtfully requires a close examination of the references to a "new heaven and a new earth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM

553 posts, read 567,859 times
This thread is prefect proof that the holy spirit Christians claim unbelievers need to comprehend the Bible is giving mixed messages to those who claim they are on some inside line with him.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM

249 posts, read 609,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
This thread is prefect proof that the holy spirit Christians claim unbelievers need to comprehend the Bible is giving mixed messages to those who claim they are on some inside line with him.

Yep ... gotta agree with you on that one.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM

553 posts, read 567,859 times
I tried to tell 'em the Book of Revelation was CLEARLY written for 7 churches of that day concerning things which were "shortly to come to pass" ahead of a "Behold I come quickly and my reward s with me" Jesus. Since Jesus has not returned (at least the way they expect), well then goal posts have to keep moving and passages re-interpreted with each generation of Christians and all kinds of wild ideas to fill up books for the gullible. Just some of the opinions here are straight up weird.

Last edited by yydanay515; 05-21-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am saying that Christians will not be Raptured! How will the beast war against the saints if we're not here. It also says that we will be changed at the LAST trump. Not the first, not in the middle. So, the theory you support was created out of peoples fear of going through the tribulation. What is tribulation but stress. And what time in history was there more stress than today? I think we are going through the great tribulation.

It also says that in the last days knowledge will be increased. What other time in history has there been knowledge like we have. So, these are the last days!
The beast will be warring against the saints because they will be coming with Him (Jesus) to do battle. Ergo....they will be with Him already. The rapture is not theory...it's Biblical prophecy. The tribulation has not begun because the body of Christ is still here. If you think the tribulation is now, then you really do need to study Biblical prophecy more closely because this is a cakewalk compared to what is coming. I think we are in the last days also, but not the tribulation.

There is speculation of when the rapture may happen...before the tribulation and the AntiChrist arrives, or before the last 3 1/2 year reign, or at the end of the tribulation. What I have studied and been shown through the Holy Spirit is we will be taken before the tribulation. I can't prove it or swear that's the way it's going to happen, but there are many, many, many theologians, eschaetologists, pastors, ministers of all denominations and just Christians in general that believe the same thing. But either way I'm ready. That's the most important thing of all.

My father believes that Christians will have to go through all of the tribulation, but he's a mentally ill nutjob that I haven't seen or spoken to in 7 years.(Per my testimony and experiences) Go figure.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
it looks like this..

Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post

There are numerous references to the "end of the age", but never an end of the Earth.

What basis is there for believing that the cycles of physical life, reproduction, and death will ever end?

To answer thoughtfully requires a close examination of the references to a "new heaven and a new earth".
I'd have a few questions about the preterist view, but that might be best discussed in a new thread! Why don't you start one in the Christianity forum and explain your views, lest we carry this one too far off topic.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post

Here's the Biblical support:
2 Peter 3:7-13(NIV)
"By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgement and destruction of ungodly men." But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

These verses cover what you requested. Through the Holy Spirit's guidance I have taken this to mean that the heaven we look up to see right now will be destroyed and the earth we are on will be barren. The Lord will destroy the old and create the new. I mean, whether he uses the old shell of the earth to start over with the new one remains to be seen and no one knows, but what difference does that really make when it's the end of the old? Nothing will be left. If God wants to start from scratch or use what's left that is completely up to Him....He is GOD.

The entire chapter 3 of 2 Peter should be read in it's entirety in order to get the full picture. As with the rest of the Bible. Taking one scripture out of context to suit a person's argument is a common practice but does not fly with Christians.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Huh??

Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
it looks like this..

AH HAHAHA!!! LOL!! Now that's funny. Nothing to say you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity