Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 11:00 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see the contrast between the youthful, green, trained, churchy responses, and the more mature, educated, well-rounded responses those who can see the big picture. The first remind me of when I was just a "babe in Christ", and the church ruled my thinking. Praise God I got beyond that! The Holy Spirit - though quiet and requiring inward listening, respect, and attention - always leads in the right direction compared to the churches and man-teaching.

Bottom line: The bible - as we have it - isn't representative of what Jesus would have for us, and most "churches" around us are not representative of the spiritual church he initiated. Mankind has failed on both sides, though some (on the narrow path) still get it right. That's still possible, despite the odds.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-16-2022 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 11:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I asked this on another thread but maybe that drags that thread off topic so....

If you believe God inspired or literally wrote the Bible why do you think He did that?
It's a recorded history of the creation, fall, and redemption of mankind.

He inspired it. He did not directly write it, or dictate it. He allowed human writers to use their personal styles and he inspired them to communicate the exact message he wanted. Why? Because it glorifies him. As God, he is worthy of any glory we can give to him. He is the ultimate being in the universe, and deserves it.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:09 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

He inspired it. He did not directly write it, or dictate it. He allowed human writers to use their personal styles and he inspired them to communicate the exact message he wanted. Why? Because it glorifies him. As God, he is worthy of any glory we can give to him. He is the ultimate being in the universe, and deserves it.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:12 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
What does that wisdom give you? That is pretty much how I see it too. I just don't think it's any more inspired that any other book that contains wisdom.
Beats me. I'm just a fool for the most part.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:18 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Do you read about His plan and trust Him to save you or do you think you need to read it to know what your part is?
Both. The redemptive work of Jesus was Hs plan and I must have faith in that work to be saved from the coming judgement.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

I really don't get this God wants glory hypothesis. Jesus came to earth as one of us and died a sinner's death. I think the Bible shows that was because since He "owns" humanity He knew it was on Him to protect us.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:19 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
As I stated in the other thread, its primary purpose is to serve and nurture the Church, particularly in the liturgy.

Old 09-16-2022, 01:22 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's interesting to see the contrast between the youthful, green, trained, churchy responses, and the more mature, educated, well-rounded responses those who can see the big picture. The first remind me of when I was just a "babe in Christ", and the church ruled my thinking. Praise God I got beyond that! The Holy Spirit - though quiet and requiring inward listening, respect, and attention - always leads in the right direction compared to the churches and man-teaching.

Bottom line: The bible - as we have it - isn't representative of what Jesus would have for us, and most "churches" around us are not representative of the spiritual church he initiated. Mankind has failed on both sides, though some (on the narrow path) still get it right. That's still possible, despite the odds.
The fear of God and the conditioning was too strong from the indoctrination of the fabled wrathful and vengeful God who kicked us out of Eden and cursed us for our first and only act of disobedience (and eventually wiped us all out but one family). It was too strong a belief system for even Jesus to overcome with His personal presence and Divinity.

I despair that it can be overcome given the predominant thinking within the churches. They keep trying to rationalize all the contradictions and inconsistencies in the Bible to pretend it is the inerrant and infallible word of God instead of Jesus who IS the ONE and ONLY Word of God (Logos). It is a travesty!

Old 09-16-2022, 01:24 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Jimmy John Churchmaster states that the BIBLE is to be carried around to thump people with, and flash in their faces. It shall serveth as a weapon for bullying and tormenting the godless Heathens, sayeth the Lord

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-16-2022 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 01:57 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
I really don't get this God wants glory hypothesis. Jesus came to earth as one of us and died a sinner's death. I think the Bible shows that was because since He "owns" humanity He knew it was on Him to protect us.
Good thread

There is that ownership of the generic Adamic humanity and His creation being under His control

However I think that the glory God wants is His own people being able to reflect His nature throughout the personal human creation

What happens is the religious tend to over-focus on the physical, ritual, traditional things that they do and believe and is there for the purpose of gathering like with like in one place and is public and have overstepped or misunderstood the boundaries that exist between the public and the personal

It’s like with our literal, physical children, most of us would want them to be responsible, respectful, independent adults and to also pass on those qualities on to their own children - not as owners or masters of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity