Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,071,256 times

Advertisements

It strikes me after much contemplation that there is the possibility that I or my family is under a curse. I was born into an Irish Catholic family and many bad things have happened to relatives and myself.

The coldness of some of my family is striking! My grandparents on my mothers side were very cold, manipulative people. They basically alienated their four oldest children in favor of their youngest, the fifth born much later. They act like he is special, while the other four were nothing.

I don't know the entire history of the other side. My mother and father divorced when I was 3. When I got to know my father I found I wasn't missing much. He truly seems like an evil person. I do know that a cousin had very powerful psychic abilities in youth and supposedly spoke to her dead father, until it bothered her enough till she sort of cast it out of her life.

I met a very decietful girl in 1986. I married her and was married to her for 18 years. In retospect I realize she pulled strings like a puppetmaster the whole time. While seemingly sweet and innocent to all around her. When my marriage broke up I started to learn about her constant efforts to undermine me all throught our marriage. She alienated me from everybody during our marriage through manipulation. She would wait till the time was right and get that person against me. I started to look back and question people about why friendships and associations had ended and found it was always her. She might have told them I said something about them, or told them I was mean to her. Everywhere we moved we would eventually run into trouble. Since the end of the marriege I have made many long lasting friensdships and never had any problems with neihbors . Despite the fact I was considered very affable, and made friends easily eventually those people back then would just stop hanging out, or start seeming unreasonble arguements or trouble. I later found out she was behind it all the time. She didn't seem to like anybody, not family, or even her closest friends. She used to say strange sayings over and over "first impressions mean alot", and the weirdest of all she would look at herself in a mirror and say "I bet I could get alot of money for my body".

A former "best friend" of hers suddenly turned camps after our marriage ended and boom, the floodgates opened. I found out about all the affairs, all the lies about myself, and the undermining that went on constantly from her. She seemingly hated me for a very long time, so much she wished me dead, but to my face she always professed love. I have had several relationships with women since, some successful, some out and out unreasonable. I noticed some women seem to have the exact same personality traits as my ex wife. Total phoniness. Do as I say, not as I do. It's almost as if the same personality is hopping from body to body and coming on to me occasionally. It's always with women who approach me. It's never with women I approach. Like a familiar spirit. The traits are identical, the women will act almost fanlike at first, which is very ego puffing and very quickly making moves to get me away from good things. I almost immeadiatly find out while their telling me how great I am, behind my back they are saying anything but. When I end the relationship the viper comes out and they become enraged, do anything they can to hurt me, feeling and physically. This has happened 3 times in 5 years. To the point where I have started to look for it. It's always the same, women who are pretending to be a lot of things they aren't. I can figure it out quickly, the words don't match the actions at all. It's not all women, I have met at least 6,7 that are fine, normal, even very spiritual.

There's a lot of other things that they all do, that other women don't. The sexual wants are the same. The choices are the same.They use the same sentences. One unique one, that being the idea to stop using protection becuase they are clean and barren women. It's almost like I'm attracting witchs.

Finally another weird thing happened in spring 1985. We were in atlantic city and on the boardwalk a palm reader read my hand. She got kinda strange and said I would meet my future wife on new years eve. She then said there was more I should know about this, but we laughed it off. I met my wife on new years eve!

Is there such a curse? Or an assigned demon?

Last edited by optiflex; 06-02-2008 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,184,039 times
I think it is more hereditary behaviour. Like learning something wrong from an older generation and not being able to recognise the fault so you could correct the lesson.
The same way that physically abused daughters often marry men who turn out to be abusers.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,884,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
While curses can do that, it would be kind of unusual for one to persist that long, unless there's a *really* angry and determined person behind it.

I terms of how my faith sees 'curses', it would have to be a *really* powerful one, and then karma would come back and absolutely *destroy* the curse-er (on a *small* scale curse, karma kicks the caster around pretty hard -- I'd be scared to see what something as big as you describe would earn).

Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,998,730 times
As I've said before if one convinces themselves that "curses" exist then he/she will actively seek out negative experiences in life to reinforce the belief of a "curse"

Old 06-02-2008, 03:34 PM

896 posts, read 1,860,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
It strikes me after much contemplation that there is the possibility that I or my family is under a curse. I was born into an Irish Catholic family and many bad things have happened to relatives and myself.
I thought we'd left that kind of thinking behind years ago. That sort of thing went hand in hand with the belief that a priest could 'root you to the ground' and was all powerful.

Tinkers went from town to town begging and if you refused to give them something some of them would tell you that they'd put a curse on you. People of the time were steeped in superstition and believed all of that.

But we've learned haven't we?

Quote:

No.... no curses, and demons are myths too.

Slán

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,577,073 times
optiflex wrote:
Quote:
No there isn't such a thing as a curse and since demons don't exist they can't be assigned. I have to agree with some of the other posts. People do tend to behave in a certain manner because of their upbringing and parents have a strong influence on their children, both positive and negative. I don't think it makes any sense to look for some sort of supernatural explanation for human behavior. I'm sorry for your bad experiences with women, mine haven't been all that great either.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,334,543 times
[quote=optiflex;3958722]

I have cursed at the Catholic Church in the past, but I have to agree with Montana there is no such thing as a curse, or demons, and I think you can put that out of your mind.

The coldness of some of my family is striking! My grandparents on my mothers side were very cold, manipulative people. They basically alienated their four oldest children in favor of their youngest, the fifth born much later. They act like he is special, while the other four were nothing.

I don't know the entire history of the other side. My mother and father divorced when I was 3. When I got to know my father I found I wasn't missing much. He truly seems like an evil person. I do know that a cousin had very powerful psychic abilities in youth and supposedly spoke to her dead father, until it bothered her enough till she sort of cast it out of her life.

A dysfunctional family can cause long lasting problems in a person; and may bring on negative actions from others in the family generation after generation. Actions that you are now are seeing as a curse are most likely learned dysfunction. The cure for the dysfunction is breaking the cycle or trend which requires the help of a counselor.

I met a very decietful girl in 1986. I married her and was married to her for 18 years. In retospect I realize she pulled strings like a puppetmaster the whole time. While seemingly sweet and innocent to all around her. When my marriage broke up I started to learn about her constant efforts to undermine me all throught our marriage. She alienated me from everybody during our marriage through manipulation. She would wait till the time was right and get that person against me. I started to look back and question people about why friendships and associations had ended and found it was always her. She might have told them I said something about them, or told them I was mean to her. Everywhere we moved we would eventually run into trouble. Since the end of the marriege I have made many long lasting friensdships and never had any problems with neihbors . Despite the fact I was considered very affable, and made friends easily eventually those people back then would just stop hanging out, or start seeming unreasonble arguements or trouble. I later found out she was behind it all the time. She didn't seem to like anybody, not family, or even her closest friends. She used to say strange sayings over and over "first impressions mean alot", and the weirdest of all she would look at herself in a mirror and say "I bet I could get alot of money for my body".

A former "best friend" of hers suddenly turned camps after our marriage ended and boom, the floodgates opened. I found out about all the affairs, all the lies about myself, and the undermining that went on constantly from her. She seemingly hated me for a very long time, so much she wished me dead, but to my face she always professed love. I have had several relationships with women since, some successful, some out and out unreasonable. I noticed some women seem to have the exact same personality traits as my ex wife. Total phoniness. Do as I say, not as I do. It's almost as if the same personality is hopping from body to body and coming on to me occasionally. It's always with women who approach me. It's never with women I approach. Like a familiar spirit. The traits are identical, the women will act almost fanlike at first, which is very ego puffing and very quickly making moves to get me away from good things. I almost immeadiatly find out while their telling me how great I am, behind my back they are saying anything but. When I end the relationship the viper comes out and they become enraged, do anything they can to hurt me, feeling and physically. This has happened 3 times in 5 years. To the point where I have started to look for it. It's always the same, women who are pretending to be a lot of things they aren't. I can figure it out quickly, the words don't match the actions at all. It's not all women, I have met at least 6,7 that are fine, normal, even very spiritual.

This wound is way too new and raw to be making these statements. Information I have read suggest you should not even date for several years after a major breakup or divorce and your numbers look like less than two years.
I suspect in a year or two you will look back and remember a lot of the good times, and the anger from the breakup will just not be worth worrying about.
On the former best friend, the person who would talk behind her back will also talk behind your back. On the safe sex issue if you are worried than get your tubes cut. Remove the child issue from the picture.

There's a lot of other things that they all do, that other women don't. The sexual wants are the same. The choices are the same.They use the same sentences. One unique one, that being the idea to stop using protection because they are clean and barren women. It's almost like I'm attracting witchs.

Finally another weird thing happened in spring 1985. We were in
atlantic city and on the boardwalk a palm reader read my hand. She got kinda strange and said I would meet my future wife on new years eve. She then said there was more I should know about this, but we laughed it off. I met my wife on new years eve!

You set your self up for the New Years eve issue. You were looking for the person who would be your wife on New Years Eve. My wife’s mother read mine one time. Her statement was, and I am sure what she was hoping rather than giving a prophecy, that I would die young. We never had been able to get along, still don’t, and I think I have already blown that prophecy out of the water LOL.

Nope no curses, and no Demons although the new pope looks somewhat demonic to me. It looks like you are carrying a lot of baggage around from generations of dysfunction. Try the counselor and see if that want help.

I think so many problems in life are the results of problems within the persons own “self”. The actions you do will trigger the actions of others, and the cycle continues.
I see it as a road with many trails. Each trail you take results in other choices, and other reactions from the people traveling that road with you. Learn how to pick the right road, and you can see fewer potholes as well as some control over how other react to you.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,846,998 times
The OP asked for this to be moved to the Christianity sub-forum....he's seeking a Christian response.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,184,039 times
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Quote:
The OP asked for this to be moved to the Christianity sub-forum....he's seeking a Christian response.
But what exactly is a Christian response?
Is saying that 'a curse' could be a result of having learned a bad behaviour not a Christian response?
I mean is it an impossibility for Christians to adopt bad behaviour?

Learning bad behaviour is as abstract as a curse (or a bad idea), because no matter what you call it, whatever you believe affects how you act.
So people can be as haunted (or cursed) by having learned bad behaviour as people can be haunted by (evil) spirits or bad ideas.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,846,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Alpha8207But what exactly is a Christian response?
Is saying that 'a curse' could be a result of having learnined a bad behaviour not a Christian response?
I mean is it an impossibility for Christians to adopt bad behaviour?

Learning bad behaviour is as abstract as a curse (or a bad idea), because no matter what you call it, whatever you believe affects how you act.
So people can be as haunted (or cursed) by having learned bad behaviour as people can be haunted by (evil) spirits or bad ideas.
All he asked me to do was move it here, TrickyD.

No one said your response was not a Christian response.

Only you know whether you are a Christian or not.

Nothing out of line by your or any other post here, but the OP has requested that folks identifying themselves as Christians please give a biblical answer.

It ok.....it's going to be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity