U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:14 AM

2,308 posts, read 999,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican issued its most explicit decree so far against the ordination of women priests on Thursday, punishing them and the bishops who try to ordain them with automatic excommunication.
Once again, the Catholic Church is stuck in the Dark Ages and is ruled my a bunch of xenophobic old men! I was raised Roman Catholic but today consider myself to be a Christian (or Deist, depending upon the day of the week! ), I rarely attend Catholic Mass and I'm comfortable in any Christian denomination. In the Wilkes-Barre, PA area, hardly a week goes by that Catholic churches aren't closing, merging or sharing priests. Priests are often required to serve up to 6 parishes on a rotating Mass schedule. Many priestly duties are now performed my Deacons or lay people. The Scranton Diocese owns hundreds of closed churches. The average age of a priest in the Scranton Diocese is in the mid-60's! The local seminary closed for lack of seminarians. So, what are the yahoos in Rome doing: NOTHING! The hierarchy of the Catholic Church does everything possible to outlaw the consecration of priests, other than unmarried men! The Pope won't even consider allowing married men with grown families to become priests! I have a word for this "head in the sand" mentality: Self-extinction!

Vatican says will excommunicate women priests - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 2,918 times
I am not surprsied since the roman catholics have a long and unethical history of being "behind"the boys when it comes to siding with the genders.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerOfTheSun View Post
I am not surprsied since the roman catholics have a long and unethical history of being "behind"the boys when it comes to siding with the genders.
Well said!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:23 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,376,875 times
Yah. I love the rationale that "Jesus took only men as his disciples, so only men can be priests". WTF? That makes no sense to those of us who are enlightened.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM

4,157 posts, read 5,568,176 times
C'mon, Steeve, "excommunicate" is not the name of some elaborate torture of the times of the Inquisition. It only means The Pope will suspend "ad divinis"[it means fire] the bishops who ordain women (and the bishops are not WOMEN, but MEN).
I mean,let's face it, if the Pope allowed high ranking members of the Catholic hierarchy to do as they please and follow their own rules, I don't think the Catholic Church would last long! It's only a self-preservation measure, and as an agnostic (altough baptized Catholic, but not a believer) I can understand that.
If they don't accept the Roman Catholic dogma&liturgical&canonic rules, nobody obliges them, there are many Protestant denominations that accept woman ordination, why don't they embrace those denominations ? (same with gay ordinations)

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
C'mon, Steeve, "excommunicate" is not the name of some elaborate torture of the times of the Inquisition. It only means The Pope will suspend "ad divinis"[it means fire] the bishops who ordain women (and the bishops are not WOMEN, but MEN).
I mean,let's face it, if the Pope allowed high ranking members of the Catholic hierarchy to do as they please and follow their own rules, I don't think the Catholic Church would last long! It's only a self-preservation measure, and as an agnostic (altough baptized Catholic, but not a believer) I can understand that.
If they don't accept the Roman Catholic dogma&liturgical&canonic rules, nobody obliges them, there are many Protestant denominations that accept woman ordination, why don't they embrace those denominations ? (same with gay ordinations)
I don't know if you're being satirical or if you believe what you wrote? We're not discussing Protestant denominations, this is a Roman Catholic Church matter, you know the Pope, the dude in the white vestments that sits in a throne chair in St. Peter's Square in Rome? The Roman Catholic Church hierarchy is akin to the the military junta in Myanmar(sp) (Burma). IMO, the Catholic Church hierarchy is xenophobic in that they cling to their "closed minds" philosophy of protecting the status quo and not giving the body of the Church what it requires to sustain its self-existence, that would be priests, Canonical ministers or whatever your preferred term for theological ministers. Even the Jewish religion, which has been around for many more millennium than the Catholic Church, has permitted women Rabis for many years. This is the 21st century and not the Dark Ages!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Default You're bordering on comical, Steeve

...what a laugh! "the man in white garments on the throne in Rome"[...]-like a kind of Gremlin or Ghost-"this bunch akin to the Burmese military junta": you are joking, right ? maybe they hide WMD in the Vatican's caves (lol)
"Excess is meaningless" as they say in my country!
And the Jews favoring female rabbis ? a tiny liberal Jewish minority in NYC, maybe...ask the Loubavitch what they think of the idea! (lol...sorry).
Oh, I see, perhaps you have a hidden agenda like trying debuking the Roman Catholic Church all by yourself ? but your critics of the Catholic Religion -which I'm critic of too, by the way- are so caricatural that they are worthless.
Try read some -radical, not conservative!- Catholic theologians like Karl Barth, Hans Küng, Eugen Drewermann, and then we can have a serious debate on the Catholic Church&Religion.
What puzzles me is that you seem unhappy (your previous post) that Catholic churches are getting empty and that the clergy is getting older and older : but as you don't like that religion you should be happy about it.
And maybe in the end there will only be a few Catholics in the Catacombs like 2000 years ago : only the real faithful and honest will remain : isn't it your wish ?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,282,103 times
Women being in charge of an influential position? Why how delightfully absurd!, stop the presses! Next they'll be demanding jobs or heavens forbid equal pay!!

We absolutely need every one of our traditions. Society here has been plunging downhill since we did away with beating the Irish.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Women in The Roman Catholic Religion can acceed to jobs and to positions of power being nuns ot mother superiors in covents,are allowed found a new order like Mother Teresa ; some are even canonized and become saints .

In the Cult Of The Onion on the other hand, women can become priests, gays can become bishops, straight white men have to walk on all four saying "I love onion, I hate garlic", Holy Mass is playing hard rock while smoking pot,and then frenchkissing one's pew neighbour, and one has to bow three times in front of a giant onion ...
Each cult his own , leave the Catholic alone!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
...what a laugh! "the man in white garments on the throne in Rome"[...]-like a kind of Gremlin or Ghost-"this bunch akin to the Burmese military junta": you are joking, right ? maybe they hide WMD in the Vatican's caves (lol)
"Excess is meaningless" as they say in my country!
And the Jews favoring female rabbis ? a tiny liberal Jewish minority in NYC, maybe...ask the Loubavitch what they think of the idea! (lol...sorry).
Oh, I see, perhaps you have a hidden agenda like trying debuking the Roman Catholic Church all by yourself ? but your critics of the Catholic Religion -which I'm critic of too, by the way- are so caricatural that they are worthless.
Try read some -radical, not conservative!- Catholic theologians like Karl Barth, Hans Küng, Eugen Drewermann, and then we can have a serious debate on the Catholic Church&Religion.
What puzzles me is that you seem unhappy (your previous post) that Catholic churches are getting empty and that the clergy is getting older and older : but as you don't like that religion you should be happy about it.
And maybe in the end there will only be a few Catholics in the Catacombs like 2000 years ago : only the real faithful and honest will remain : isn't it your wish ?
Debunking the Catholic Church or any religion is not my thing, it's a total waste of my brain cells! I posted this story to illustrate the hypocrisy of religion! The Catholic faithful are without priests and the sacraments, and the "man in the white vestments" has just flipped them off! If that's not hypocrisy, then please tell me what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity