Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:08 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard anything about this? Does anyone know anything about Todd Bentley? I've been hearing about this revival that's apparently happening in Lakeland, Florida. I don't know much about it but supposedly people are being healed of all kinds of illnesses, ect. I work with three women (one of which is a good friend of mine) who are going to travel down to this church to see this guy so I decided to do some looking around online about Todd Bentley. Bottom line, I don't like a lot of what I've read about him. He talks about some pretty far out stuff, way out of line with what I consider to be "mainstream" Christianity. This is a blog that I came across that talks about Bentley and some of his radical ideas and teachings.

Todd Bentley in His Element « The Grey Coats (broken link)

Should I talk to my friend and tell her of my concerns or just keep my nose out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
"According to The Report Newsmagazine,[3] a social conservative publication that is now uncirculated [1], Bentley was jailed for 18 months when he was fifteen years old for crimes of a sexual nature against an 7 year old boy."

Todd Bentley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for your friends... I guess as long as they are older than 7 they are ok.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
"According to The Report Newsmagazine,[3] a social conservative publication that is now uncirculated [1], Bentley was jailed for 18 months when he was fifteen years old for crimes of a sexual nature against an 7 year old boy."

Todd Bentley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for your friends... I guess as long as they are older than 7 they are ok.
Well according to the Wikipedia article, he apologized for that incident publicly and asked for forgiveness. He became a Christian after that. I'm not concerned about his past crimes, drug use, ect. It's his current (really far out) teachings that I'm concerned about.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Well according to the Wikipedia article, he apologized for that incident publicly and asked for forgiveness. He became a Christian after that. I'm not concerned about his past crimes, drug use, ect. It's his current (really far out) teachings that I'm concerned about.
I guess thats just where I draw the line. Sure I can forgive past mis deeds.. but I'm not gonna forget just because you found God.

I do find it a little curious that people might be more concerned about his teachings and less concerned by the fact that he had some sort of sexual relations with a child.. a child that was all of 7 years old.

Seems quite odd to me.

Would anyone here leave their child with this guy to babysit?

The guy is a fraud in my book.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
The guy aside, you don't just "have a revival," healing or not. Revivals have never been brought about without much travail and repentance. This "revival" isn't God.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:40 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
The guy aside, you don't just "have a revival," healing or not. Revivals have never been brought about without much travail and repentance. This "revival" isn't God.

I wasn't there, I don't know the guy, and I have to admit I'm not impressed by his appearance....but....how do you know there wasn't much travail and repentance? Just asking...

Bud

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Here is some more information about Todd Bentley, on YouTube. I saw it and thought of this thread. Just thought I'd share the links. Personally, after watching the videos, even without the commentary, I am of the opinion that people should stay away from this man.

Todd Bentley's Violent "Ministry" (WOTMR) [1of2]

Todd Bentley's Violent "Ministry" (WOTMR) [2of2]

Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Here is some more information about Todd Bentley, on YouTube. I saw it and thought of this thread. Just thought I'd share the links. Personally, after watching the videos, even without the commentary, I am of the opinion that people should stay away from this man.

Todd Bentley's Violent "Ministry" (WOTMR) [1of2]

Todd Bentley's Violent "Ministry" (WOTMR) [2of2]
I take back what I said. This is a violent man that has found a way to make it completely acceptable to maim people under the guise of God's healing power. This is complete insanity. I wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near this man.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
I saw the following link elsewhere a couple of days ago. After reading it plus a couple of other sites and watching a couple of videos, I'd definitely recommend steering clear of this. I'd also warn anyone I knew who was contemplating going to this "revival" meeting.

A FALSE HEALING REVIVAL?? - LAKELAND, FLORIDA - Andrew Strom

Bigthirsty also has a valid point. I do believe Christ can completely deliver a person from any past sin and lead him out of current temptation. However, I believe it is only prudent to safeguard children (and others) from potential predators. Since we know sexual sin becomes a stronghold in a person's life and recidivism (relapse) is prevalent among sexual offenders, I doubt I'd trust any past offender in this area.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
So you can not only pray the gay away but now you can pray the pedophilia away as well??

Its this kind of lack of common sense that makes it really hard for me to have sympathy when the eventual bad thing happens.

Its interesting that when the "Evangelist" confessed all that he left out the fact that it was a SEXUAL assualt.

Healing Evangelist Todd Bentley Reveals Facts About Past Assault By - Charisma Magazine

This should be your FIRST really big red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity