Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

Here's my inquiry. I am a Christian who believes in God and Christ, and have no doubt of their existence, scripture, or acts. But here's my problem. For the past years, it seems that everything that has gone wrong in my life has. And whenever I get a small break, I always become the victim of an excessive setback; either due to other people trying to screw me over or to a circumstance beyond my control. Now I'm in a really dreadful situation: My family doesn't care about my existence, I'm surrounded by the most soulless, arrogant and judgmental people, my social life has gone to Hell in a hand basket, I'm not finding any good career opportunities/internships (regardless of decent grades), and it seems that despite the tribulations and heinous experiences I've experienced, it seems that no sign of justice or compensation has happened or will happen. I remember reading that for all of the years the Devil has stolen, God will recompense you it double fold. This just leads me to my question of not if God exists, but does he really give a damn. Or is the life of a Christan consists of undeserved pain and suffering and only rest and happiness when we die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I watched the Truman show the other day for the first time. I sort of equated the story of his whole life being monitered and manipulated, Truman being mankind AND the director was god.

Maybe its all just a game.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian
Quote:
I remember reading that for all of the years the Devil has stolen, God will recompense you it double fold. This just leads me to my question of not if God exists, but does he really give a damn. Or is the life of a Christan consists of undeserved pain and suffering and only rest and happiness when we die.
Do you follow Jesus because you agree with his philosophy or because you want to receive the bounty that God 'owes' you for following Him?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I don't believe so...

He cares about as much as a scientist for a lab rat.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't believe so...

He cares about as much as a scientist for a lab rat.
Just like the director in The Truman Show, it was all about ratings.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 AM

519 posts, read 1,696,696 times
Default Good question

My sister has been dealing with the same issue .. and she decided she no longer wants to be a Christian.

I don't want to get into an argument or debate, but I want to offer you hope. Remember David? If you look through Psalms, almost every chapter uses the phrasing "Answer me," or "my adversaries have increased," or "give ear to my words O Lord." David, a man after God's own heart, was in constant struggle. Or look at Job. Or the disciples. Or John the Baptist. This isn't to depress you, but to encourage you -- you are NOT alone. Because of sin, we experience "raw deals" on a daily basis. But that does not mean God does not exist. God is not responsible for people's choices (whether "Christian" or not). It is not God's fault that Saul hunted David. Nor was it God's fault when Cain killed Abel. Unfortunately, life isn't rosy.

You might need to pray Psalms 70:1-2

"O God, hasten to deliver me; O Lord, hasten to my help! Let those be ashamed who seek my life; let those be turned back and dishonored who delight in my hurt."

Also, let me encourage you. Loving Jesus Christ with all your heart and soul does not mean perfection. It means a soft heart and obedience. Life as a Christian is not easy. John the Baptist was beheaded, Stephen was stoned, Noah was laughed at, John was exiled, and Daniel was sold into slavery. So what does this mean? God sucks? No, people suck. Sin sucks.

Psalms 139: 13-15

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth."

I encourage you to find a pastor or youth leader you can trust. You have made a brave step in seeking answers, and you need to get some face-to-face time with strong, mature Christians who will love and guide you. Listen to K-Love (Positive & Encouraging K-LOVE) if you can't bring yourself to read the Bible right now. Getting Biblical truth through music is equally effective. It is okay to tell God how angry you are.

I do not believe it is Biblically accurate God will "give back" what the Devil has "stolen"; I have never found any Scriptural evidence for that. I would be curious to know what verse(s) support that concept.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,060,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Just like the director in The Truman Show, it was all about ratings.

This statement is ridiculous!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by sandgirl
Quote:
This statement is ridiculous!
Not really, European churches are running on empty; it seems that there is less and less new blood.
So it is only logical that they would do almost anything to attract new followers.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
My sister has been dealing with the same issue .. and she decided she no longer wants to be a Christian.

I don't want to get into an argument or debate, but I want to offer you hope. Remember David? If you look through Psalms, almost every chapter uses the phrasing "Answer me," or "my adversaries have increased," or "give ear to my words O Lord." David, a man after God's own heart, was in constant struggle. Or look at Job. Or the disciples. Or John the Baptist. This isn't to depress you, but to encourage you -- you are NOT alone. Because of sin, we experience "raw deals" on a daily basis. But that does not mean God does not exist. God is not responsible for people's choices (whether "Christian" or not). It is not God's fault that Saul hunted David. Nor was it God's fault when Cain killed Abel. Unfortunately, life isn't rosy.

You might need to pray Psalms 70:1-2

"O God, hasten to deliver me; O Lord, hasten to my help! Let those be ashamed who seek my life; let those be turned back and dishonored who delight in my hurt."

Also, let me encourage you. Loving Jesus Christ with all your heart and soul does not mean perfection. It means a soft heart and obedience. Life as a Christian is not easy. John the Baptist was beheaded, Stephen was stoned, Noah was laughed at, John was exiled, and Daniel was sold into slavery. So what does this mean? God sucks? No, people suck. Sin sucks.

Psalms 139: 13-15

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth."

I encourage you to find a pastor or youth leader you can trust. You have made a brave step in seeking answers, and you need to get some face-to-face time with strong, mature Christians who will love and guide you. Listen to K-Love (Positive & Encouraging K-LOVE) if you can't bring yourself to read the Bible right now. Getting Biblical truth through music is equally effective. It is okay to tell God how angry you are.

I do not believe it is Biblically accurate God will "give back" what the Devil has "stolen"; I have never found any Scriptural evidence for that. I would be curious to know what verse(s) support that concept.
Very nice, encouraging post. We must persevere.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
This post should have been put on the Religion and Philosophy forum. It appears it is just about bashing God, and most of the posters are doing just that!

I don't know how old the op is ( there is no info on his/her page) , so do not know how many years the troubles have been going on. I have been a member of the Lord's church for 42 years, and have suffered almost constant pain due to a chronic illness, but I do not blame God for it. If you read the book of Job, his sufferings came from Satan. I belive that Satan works very hard to discourage the believer. I hope, in your case. he does not win ! Thank God I am coming to the end of my life on this earth...but, as I said, I do not know how old you are.
Study the word, espacially the Psalms. There is much comfort there, and, of course...do a lot of earnest praying to God for relief. It will come. The troubles may not go away, but peace will come, but only if you believe, obey, and trust God.
May He bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity