U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2009, 10:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,330,732 times
I've not read all the posts, but here are a few scriptures that I take great comfort in:

Luk 4:17 And the scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to Him. And unrolling the book, He found the place where it was written:
Luk 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me. Because of this He anointed Me to proclaim the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me" to heal the brokenhearted, "to proclaim remission to captives, and to the blind to see again," to send away the ones being crushed, in remission,
Luk 4:19 "to preach an acceptable year of the Lord."
Luk 4:20 And rolling up the scroll, returning it to the attendant, He sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
Luk 4:21 And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your ears.

When turning to Isaiah 61:1-2, to examine what Jesus was reading from, we find the following:

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord Jehovah is on Me, because Jehovah has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the meek. He has sent Me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to captives, and complete opening to the bound ones;
Isa 61:2 to proclaim the acceptable year of Jehovah, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn;

But notice: Jesus stops reading after the first phrase "the acceptable year of Jehovah". Jesus then rolls up the scroll and hands it back to the attendant.

Jesus did not read the following phrase "and the day of vengeance of our God". Jesus took that upon Himself. Take comfort in this and believe the Gospel.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 AM

8,785 posts, read 2,303,933 times
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they shall overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,
Nor shall the flame scorch you.
Isaiah 43:2

Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,170,897 times
Humility

A truly humble man is sensible of his natural distance from God; of his dependence on Him; of the insufficiency of his own power and wisdom; and that it is by God's power that he is upheld and provided for, and that he needs God's wisdom to lead and guide him, and His might to enable him to do what he ought to do for Him.

Edwards, Jonathan

Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM

8,785 posts, read 2,303,933 times
But we are driven to the same bloody place also by the question of a single passion. -John Piper

Old 11-13-2009, 08:48 AM

373 posts, read 154,965 times
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. (Psalm 61:1-4)

Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 PM

My brethren, let me say, be like Christ at all times. Imitate Him in "public". Most of us live in some sort of public capacity -- many of us are called to work before our fellow-men every day. We are watched; our words are caught; our lives are examined -- taken to pieces. The eagle-eyed, argus-eyed world observes everything we do, and sharp critics are upon us. Let us live the life of Christ in public. Let us take care that we exhibit our Master, and not ourselves -- so that we can say, "It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me."

Spurgeon, C. H.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,315,956 times
If the devil never bothers you, its because you are both going in the same direction.

You can eat the devils corn if you want to, but he will choke you on the cob.

Sin will take you farther then you want to go, keep you longer then you want to stay, and cost you more then you want to pay.

Conceit is a disease that makes everyone sick except the one who has it.

Fear is a dark room where negatives are devoloped.

Give Satan an inch, and he'll be a ruler.

Consequences of Sin: Every kick has a kickback.

We don't have to agree. You have every RIGHT to be WRONG if you want to.

Its better to be hated for telling the truth then loved for telling a lie.

When your right you can afford to keep your temper. When your wrong you can't afford to lose it.

Atheist mean they don't want GOD, rather than beleive there is no GOD.

Evolution is not Science, its Science Fiction.

If you please GOD, it doesn't matter who you displease.If you displease GOD, it doesn't matter who you please.

I once knew a Southern Baptist who could strut seating down.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Bible Reading

Read and read again, and do not despair of help to understand the will and mind of God though you think they are fast locked up from you. Neither trouble your heads though you have not commentaries and exposition. Pray and read, read and pray; for a little from God is better than a great deal from men.

Bunyan, John

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 AM

You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles.James 2:19

Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM

It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. (Deuteronomy 31:8)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity