Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes and mosquitoes too when I'm lucky!
Sorry, can't help myself, but that is way too cute ILNC!!!

~curly~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I appreciate this thread very much. Words are powerful, living things. The concept of "luck" certainly detracts from faith.

There are a lot of words that are carelessly used today. So much so that they lose their meaning. Love is a great example of this. We use this word too freely. "I loved that movie!" "I love that song!" Being that God IS love, and it's not just a characteristic of His, I try to be very conscious of how I use this word, instead substituting the word "enjoy" instead.

"Awesome" is another one. It's used to describe everything from video games and jokes to God. People will say that "awesome" means "cool" or "amazing." "Awesome" is meant to describe something that is inspiring great amounts of fear, reverence and worship. Webster's Dictionary (from the 1800's) defined "awesome" as: "That which strikes with awe; that fills with profound reverence; as the awful majesty of Jehovah." Today, in the urban dictionary, it's defined as "something Americans use to describe everything."

I'm not perfect in this either, but I am conscious of it and strive daily to not use these types of words carelessly.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I appreciate this thread very much. Words are powerful, living things. The concept of "luck" certainly detracts from faith.

There are a lot of words that are carelessly used today. So much so that they lose their meaning. Love is a great example of this. We use this word too freely. "I loved that movie!" "I love that song!" Being that God IS love, and it's not just a characteristic of His, I try to be very conscious of how I use this word, instead substituting the word "enjoy" instead.

"Awesome" is another one. It's used to describe everything from video games and jokes to God. People will say that "awesome" means "cool" or "amazing." "Awesome" is meant to describe something that is inspiring great amounts of fear, reverence and worship. Webster's Dictionary (from the 1800's) defined "awesome" as: "That which strikes with awe; that fills with profound reverence; as the awful majesty of Jehovah." Today, in the urban dictionary, it's defined as "something Americans use to describe everything."

I'm not perfect in this either, but I am conscious of it and strive daily to not use these types of words carelessly.

Oh yes ! I am really disturbed by the flippant use of the word "awesome".

Another one that is so misused is "miracle".

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
So is bad luck just a bad blessing?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
IMHO saying this word or not saying this word is just another form of bondage that we can let ourselves become entangled with. Folks we are free!! If Im convicted of saying something by the Holy Spirit then of course Ill do my best not to use it..but Im sure wont become the language police over it.

Last edited by arguy1973; 06-10-2008 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Is this one of those fun threads?..I hope not because I have a serious response here..My mil (may she rest in peace) was a very devoted , religious "church lady" who was also very quick to correct anyones words that she thought disrespectful to her beliefs such as; gosh, golly, holy moley, etc..Finally I could no longer take the hilarity of one word she used constantly believing with all her heart that it was a medical word I finally told her that the word p--s was considered a little gutterish to be using in the presence of children and otrher tender ears..She was so embarrassed..From then on she used the term "pass water", because she thought the word "urinate" sounded as bad as the one she had been using

Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
IMHO saying this word or not saying this word is just another form of bondage that we can let ourselves become entangled with. Folks we are free!! If Im convicted of saying something by the Holy Spirit then of course Ill do my best not to use it..but Im sure not become the language police over it.
I so agree with what you are saying arguy1973!!!
God looks at the motive of the heart.... and what is the motive of those words?
Are we now into chastising our brother or sister in the Lord over words?
Yes, there is life and death in what we say through our words..... but it is the heart that is speaking, that comes in words out through the mouth!!!

Blessings

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
IMHO saying this word or not saying this word is just another form of bondage that we can let ourselves become entangled with. Folks we are free!! If Im convicted of saying something by the Holy Spirit then of course Ill do my best not to use it..but Im sure not become the language police over it.
Amen Amen and Amen.

Free indeed!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
I'd also like to add that all those here still under the law might want to reconsider when uttering those blasphemous days of the week!

Where Do The Names Of The Days Of The Week Come From? - Science Fact Finder

Quote:
The English days of the week are named for a variety of figures in English and Roman mythology.

Sunday The sun

Monday The moon

Tuesday Tiu (the Anglo-Saxon god of war, equivalent to the Norse Tyr or the Roman Mars)

Wednesday Woden (the Anglo-Saxon equivalent of Odin, the chief Norse god)

Thursday Thor (the Norse god of thunder)

Friday Frigg (the Norse god of love and fertility, the equivalent of the Roman Venus)

Saturday Saturn (the Roman god of agriculture)

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'd also like to add that all those here still under the law might want to reconsider when uttering those blasphemous days of the week!

Where Do The Names Of The Days Of The Week Come From? - Science Fact Finder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity