Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times

Advertisements

Should we as believers use the term Luck? or "Lucky"?
We have all said this mostly out of habit ..
but I'd like to take a closer look at the meaning, and it's contradiction to the word of God.
Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not yet seen" KJV; does luck nullify this passage of scripture?
I've been wanting to discuss the topic and get the view of other believers
using the phrase "Luck" or "Lucky"
whether it is done out of habit, or ignorance (not knowing)..
Do you know what luck" really mean? and where the word derived?
Some minister years ago taught on this subject. Proverbs 18:21
If "life and death are in the power of the tongue" according to scripture
then why would you want to use phrases with the word lucky in it, when you are addressing someone?
For example: "you sure are lucky" instead of "you sure are blessed"
or " Good Luck" (as a salutation) when wishing someone well

Some definitions for "Luck"
Fortune- having unexpected good fortune
Chance- happening by chance or as desired
a force that brings good fortune or adversity
an unknown and unpredictable phenomenom that causes an event to sway one way or another.
What the Bible have to say about it? and how do they contrast God's Promises for us.
Quote:
* But you who forsake Yahweh, who forget my holy mountain, who prepare a table for Fortune, and who fill up mixed wine to Destiny (Isaiah 65:11 - The bearing that this has on beliefs concerning luck is a matter of controversy)
* The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord (Book of Proverbs 16:33 NIV)
* I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. (Ecclesiastes 9:11 NIV)

wikipedia
what's your take on it
Thanks in advance?

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 06-08-2008 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
I guess we all know why this subject is being introduced..

God forbid that someone would say the word luck on this board. Even once...

Do you think it was intentional or do you think it was out of ignorance? Gee, what if it was an intentional choice of words to fit a particular situation? If it was intentional, do you think it was because they wanted to cast some kind of new age stuff on someone - because they are obviously in error and confused... ?

I think we should write a doctrine about it so no one says the word luck ... ever!

I just hope that whoever said that awful, sinful word repents and never says the word again.

Don't you?

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-08-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
It's a habit. I'm making a very conscious effort not to say it anymore. There is no such thing as luck.....everything is part of God's plan, big or small. I had a cat named Lucky because he took a 20 mile ride under a truck and survived it. But naming him "Blessed" just wasn't what came to mind or sounds right. Then Lucky disappeared so go figure.

It's not a sin to say it, but it's not proper for a Christian to think that luck exists. I think crazy and once in a lifetime things happen, but that's just the nature of life itself and keeps it interesting. God is always in the details.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
I don't recall saying anything about it being a "sin"
thanks for your reply though.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
I try to avoid using the word, but find myself doing so every now and then. I frequently correct myself. :-)

Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I am 1/2 Irish but didn't get the half that included the "luck o' the Irish"

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
AND we have one more reason why I don't miss being religious, if religion can be used to pick apart something as innocent as "good luck" then thats a little extreme to me.

Do you guys pick wings off of flies by any chance?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I

I think we should write a doctrine about it so no one says the word luck ... ever!

Well, with any luck, someone probably will!

Bud

Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
AND we have one more reason why I don't miss being religious, if religion can be used to pick apart something as innocent as "good luck" then thats a little extreme to me.

Well yeah....don't you?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Yes and mosquitoes too when I'm lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity