Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 621 times

Advertisements

I've read negative "reviews" of this practice on websites that call it "mysticism" or "heresy". It seems that these churches are just doing what I've been doing in my home for years, worshiping, reading the Word, praying and just hanging out with God. I do it because I love Him and just want to spend some time telling Him so. I don't claim to be right about everything, but I really don't see anything wrong with that. Just because false religions have false practices to false gods that are counterfeits of Christian worship doesn't mean WE'RE wrong for going to the real and living God like that! Nobody is trying to put themselves into a TRANCE or trying to "become one with God" apart from Christ. That's ridiculous!! There are people who think seeking ANY Holy Spirit manifestation is heresy even laying hand on the sick!! We spend WAY more time criticizing our brothers and sisters for how they seek a more intimate relationship with the Lord than we spend seeking that ourselves. I've never been to one of these services, but as long as they are approaching our Father through the cross of Christ, bless every one of them. I thought the Bible said we're supposed to meditate on the Word...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 PM

702 posts, read 1,005,912 times
There are at least 7 distinct forms of prayer taught in the Greek N.T. Some say 9, but the additional 2 are just different forms of the same word, like Prayer (BIND) and Prayings (BINDINGS.) I can study and put together a prayer, perhaps using Scripture forms, that I can come back to and pray. When praying the "prayer" I made I am "praying." Hebrew, if I remember correctly, has something like 42 to 48 different words describing various aspects of what we generically refer to as "prayer."

I can search out this topic more if wanted. Too many of my books are still boxerd and in the attic from moving here. Just don't accept people's doctrines that would rob you of various functions that God had built into all of us, whether we are remaining in the doctrine of Christ or not. Self-emptying prayer, via negativa, "centering prayer," it is called various things, has been vilified by many who do not understand all the things that belong to us. We can become more instructed in prayer forms and practices, but that will never satisfy the simple fire in the heart to know Him. "Be still, and know that I am God." (Psa 46:10) The word "be still" or, "cease" is used of straw in an oven that "sinks back" after it quickly burns. The is not only assertive, diligently thought out and even athletic prayer, via movens, but there is silencing ones consciousness before the Lord and waiting on Him, and Him alone, allowing nothing else to produce an effect on our awareness.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I agree soaking, praying, spending quiet time, enjoying His peace, meditating, etc..I think all believers do this and have been doing this since the beginning..IMO it is our desire to feel His presence that makes us do these things..These are things we do without having to be trained by someone to do..The Holy Spirit usually is a pretty good teacher..and it is free for the asking ...

Amen. Especially agree with your observation that our desire to feel His presence causes us to be still, meditate, and soak in God's great cleansing tub

Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I went back to the site and just as I thought..Send us your money, money, money for our kit to show you how to start your own "Wave of Soaking" AND Be sure to visit our online store for pamphlets, etc to help you get started... Am I the only one who finds a little humor in the use of the word soaking?

Miss Blue you and I are identical in that respect...my eyebrow does this......whenever I see "send money..." and brush aside whatever it was that caught my fancy at first...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity