Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Wow.

Wikipedia has a good article on God's Grace.

It even compares the interpretations of grace between many different churches...

Divine grace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you for that link. It has lots of good info, and (naturally) I am espacially happy for the including of the church of Christ's views
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Galatian 2:21
Quote:
I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Frustrate: To prevent from accomplishing a purpose or fulfilling a desire; To prevent the accomplishment of; nullify.

Grace of God: Grace is often distinguished from mercy in that mercy is seen as not receiving punishment that one deserves to receive, whereas grace is receiving a positive benefit that one does not deserve to receive. Divine Grace also can be defined as God's empowering presence in ones life enabling them to do and be what they were created to do and be.

Paul's inability to perfectly keep God's law taught him that the law could only condemn, not save. It was thus through the law itself that Paul died to the law- he stopped trying to be saved by keeping it. Instead he trusted in Christ who had died to pay the law's demands, and who would enable him to live a life pleasing to God.
If we could achieve a right relationship with God by keeping the law, there would be no purpose in Christ's death. To claim we are justified by the law is to deny God's grace given through Christ.
Hence we learn what is the nature of grace. God's grace cannot stand with man's merit. Grace is no grace unless it is freely given every way. The more simply the believer relies on Christ for every thing, the more devotedly does one walk before Him in all their ordinances and commandments. Christ lives and reigns in us, and we live here on earth by faith in the Son of God, which works by love, causes obedience, and changes into his holy image. Thus one neither abuses the grace of God, nor makes it in vain.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:46 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post

Frustrate: To prevent from accomplishing a purpose or fulfilling a desire; To prevent the accomplishment of; nullify.

Grace of God: Grace is often distinguished from mercy in that mercy is seen as not receiving punishment that one deserves to receive, whereas grace is receiving a positive benefit that one does not deserve to receive. Divine Grace also can be defined as God's empowering presence in ones life enabling them to do and be what they were created to do and be.

Paul's inability to perfectly keep God's law taught him that the law could only condemn, not save. It was thus through the law itself that Paul died to the law- he stopped trying to be saved by keeping it. Instead he trusted in Christ who had died to pay the law's demands, and who would enable him to live a life pleasing to God.
If we could achieve a right relationship with God by keeping the law, there would be no purpose in Christ's death. To claim we are justified by the law is to deny God's grace given through Christ.
Hence we learn what is the nature of grace. God's grace cannot stand with man's merit. Grace is no grace unless it is freely given every way. The more simply the believer relies on Christ for every thing, the more devotedly does one walk before Him in all their ordinances and commandments. Christ lives and reigns in us, and we live here on earth by faith in the Son of God, which works by love, causes obedience, and changes into his holy image. Thus one neither abuses the grace of God, nor makes it in vain.
Explained very well....and so thoroughly. Thank you. I wouldn't add anything to that, even if I could !

Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Something that definitely "frustrates the grace of God" is when different parts of the body of Christ criticize other parts of the body who are actually fulfilling their ministry - because they don't understand what their ministry is.

God called some to be "evangelists"... their job is to evangelize.

Others are called to preach, and to teach... their job is to build up the body of Christ.

Both ministries are truly important but totally different.

How can we nullify the grace of God? By criticizing and tearing down the work of another part of the body of Christ.

Those that feel called to condemn the work of other parts of the Body have been misled....

Grace is a gift. Salvation is a gift. God uses people - and gifts them with the ability to minister His grace in different types of ministries..

There is more to the gospel than just salvation. But, the job of an evangelist is just that.

To lead people to salvation.

Selah

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-20-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default God's plan...

Quote:
Something that definitely "frustrates the grace of God" is when different parts of the body of Christ criticize other parts of the body who are actually fulfilling their ministry - because they don't understand what their ministry is.

God called some to be "evangelists"... their job is to evangelize.

Others are called to preach, and to teach... their job is to build up the body of Christ.

Both ministries are truly important but totally different.

How can we nullify the grace of God? By criticizing and tearing down the work of another part of the body of Christ.

Those that feel called to condemn the work of other parts of the Body have been misled....

Grace is a gift. Salvation is a gift. God uses people - and gifts them with the ability to minister His grace in different types of ministries..

There is more to the gospel than just salvation. But, the job of an evangelist is just that.

To lead people to salvation.

Selah
I wanted to add this scripture to my post

... walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men....

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Quote:
I found this site today and thought it was interesting... It's a study about the amazing grace of God.

One thing I notice that's missing from their study is the definition of what God's grace is. Maybe they covered that in another lesson ... or maybe they make the same mistake many of us make and assume that "everyone knows what that means"...

Have you ever wondered what it means to "frustrate the grace of God" ???

" 3. What does it mean to "frustrate" the grace of God?
(to receive grace but not be gracious; to continue to look at things from your own point of view; to remain a spiritual babe; to not share His grace with others.)..."

taken from http://www.discipleshiplibrary.com/pdfs/GWT02.pdf

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 2:20-21

Not being obedient, to the call and destiny on our lives
not finding out what our purpose is and fulfilling it;
Disobedience period; Strife, dissensions; heresy
and more... testing God , pushing him too far
God Bless

Old 06-21-2008, 06:55 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post

Like they say in Ebay.........
AAAAAAAA++++++++++++!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity