Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times

Advertisements

I found this site today and thought it was interesting... It's a study about the amazing grace of God.

One thing I notice that's missing from their study is the definition of what God's grace is. Maybe they covered that in another lesson ... or maybe they make the same mistake many of us make and assume that "everyone knows what that means"...

Have you ever wondered what it means to "frustrate the grace of God" ???

" 3. What does it mean to "frustrate" the grace of God?
(to receive grace but not be gracious; to continue to look at things from your own point of view; to remain a spiritual babe; to not share His grace with others.)..."

taken from http://www.discipleshiplibrary.com/pdfs/GWT02.pdf

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 2:20-21

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-17-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM

No responses???

I hope no one assumes that I think this doesn't also apply to me...

It seemed to me a discussion about God's grace - His unmerited favor - and what all that means to us would be a good discussion for a christian forum. Talking about the goodness of God brings life to all who hear...

I do believe that God is closing a door here for me, though. I need to be obedient!

God bless everyone!

Adios

Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
I am not sure what response you are looking for from your post. What you have cited is a nice display of terminology and follows a pretty logic. There is not much to dispute in the interpretation or use of the vernacular in what you have posted.

The only thing I could comment on would be the last quotation from Galations "I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." To me this uses the term frustration in the sense of rejection rather than as your other citations do by using it as a form of perception.

In the Galations quote it would seem that the debate is over the way to salvation and wheter that path is through Christ's sacrifice and God's Grace, or through the Old Testament Law. The argument is that Christ is the proper path and to reject that sacrifice in favor of the law frustrates God's Grace. In this sense frustration is an obstacle or barrier and not simply a callous or unappreciated acceptance as your other citations seem to define.

Both definitions are adequately sound in their own usage, but appear to be independant of each other and not synonomous. That is okay. We have many words in our vocabulary that change meaning depening upon context.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
My translation says verse 21 "I am not one of those who treats the grace of God as meaningless. For if we could be saved by keeping the law, then there was no need for Christ to die"

As we grow in our relationship with Christ we begin to understand more just how much He loves us and just how much of a sacrifice He made for us on the cross.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Thought this was interesting and some very good insight to the scripture of Galatians 2:20-21:

Here, in his own person, the apostle describes the spiritual or hidden life of a believer. The old man is crucified, Ro 6:6, but the new man is living; sin is mortified, and grace is quickened. He has the comforts and the triumphs of grace; yet that grace is not from himself, but from another. Believers see themselves living in a state of dependence on Christ. Hence it is, that though he lives in the flesh, yet he does not live after the flesh.
Those who have true faith, live by that faith; and faith fastens upon Christ's giving himself for us. He loved me, and gave himself for me. As if the apostle said, The Lord saw me fleeing from him more and more. Such wickedness, error, and ignorance were in my will and understanding, that it was not possible for me to be ransomed by any other means than by such a price. Consider well this price.
Here notice the false faith of many. And their profession is accordingly; they have the form of godliness without the power of it. They think they believe the articles of faith aright, but they are deceived. For to believe in Christ crucified, is not only to believe that he was crucified, but also to believe that I am crucified with him. And this is to know Christ crucified. Hence we learn what is the nature of grace. God's grace cannot stand with man's merit. Grace is no grace unless it is freely given every way.
The more simply the believer relies on Christ for every thing, the more devotedly does he walk before Him in all his ordinances and commandments. Christ lives and reigns in him, and he lives here on earth by faith in the Son of God, which works by love, causes obedience, and changes into his holy image. Thus he neither abuses the grace of God, nor makes it in vain.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM

Actually, Galatians 2:21 is written to the Galatians - reminding them that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the basis for their faith and also of their justification because there were some who were perverting the Gospel of justification through faith into another gospel of being saved by works - i.e., a gospel of striving to be good enough and legalism.

The law declares men guilty and imprisons them; faith sets men free to enjoy liberty in Christ. But our liberty is not a license to sin. Freedom in Christ means freedom to produce the fruits of righteousness through a Spirit-led lifestyle - not by striving and works.

There are many, many basic truths addressed in Galatians.

What does it mean to be "in Christ"?

What is "justification" ?

How does God "justify" a believer?

What exactly is the Gospel message?

and, What is meant by biblical "grace" ?

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-19-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
" 3. What does it mean to "frustrate" the grace of God?
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Frustrating the grace of God could mean anything that gets in the way of God's grace truly working in our lives. We could frustrate the grace of God either by trying to rely on our own rightiousness, or by presuming upon His grace when we are not being obedient.

God's grace is a "covering" over our lives of sin (I did a thread referring to that awhile back... http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...sible-sin.html ) God's grace also empowers us to overcome the wicked one.. by our own strength we have no power. Enough grace is available that we need not fall out of His hand, altho we are so human and make many mistakes. God can see our heart.. and if we are trying to do what is right and it is our desire to truly obey and follow Him, His grace will remain in our lives (assuming we have repented and accepted Jesus' sacrifice for our sins). God's grace also covers those who have not become accountable.

Last edited by cg81; 06-19-2008 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Default What is righteousness ?

Quote:

In my list of things that we must understand about this chapter should also be the meaning of Righteousness...?

Righteousness = Right Standing with God

Justification = Just as if I never Sinned

Grace = God's unmerited Favor

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:8-10

Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM

Wow.

Wikipedia has a good article on God's Grace.

It even compares the interpretations of grace between many different churches...

Divine grace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
Paul believed that when Peter sinned by taking his stand with the Judaizers, (whom he knew were in error) that it was also against Christ, in effect denying the need for God's grace and nullifying the benefits of Christ's death. (Of which he confronted Peter.)

Those who insist they can earn salvation by their own efforts undermine the foundation of Christianity, making the death of Christ unnecessary.

This is my understanding of these scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity