Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,395,429 times

Advertisements

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A group that advocates separation of church and state filed a federal lawsuit Thursday to prevent South Carolina from becoming the first state to create "I Believe" license plates.

The group contends that South Carolina's government is endorsing Christianity by allowing the plates, which would include a cross superimposed on a stained glass window.

Group Files Suit Over 'I Believe' License Plates | Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,080,196 times
More proof that it's okay to discriminate against Christians but nobody else. I'm glad God is a God of justice and that revenge will be His because idiots like these should be.... well, I'll leave that part to God.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,640,614 times
Isn't it strange though when we have a disaster all the rules go out the window. When 9/11 happened several of the schools I went to had signs out in front sayings things like, "pray for the USA". It was amazing to see all the signs on stores and even gas stations. Actually I took a few rolls of film of the sings. I was so moved by the outpouring. One of my Principals who was a Christian said in about a week she knew she would start to get complaints and would have to take the sign down. When there is a big disaster you see people turning quickly to God for strenght and understanding but then Satan jumps right in.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,039,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
More proof that it's okay to discriminate against Christians but nobody else. I'm glad God is a God of justice and that revenge will be His because idiots like these should be.... well, I'll leave that part to God.
Wow.. thats kinda strong. You want God to take revenge on people because of a license plate? Its amazing why more people don't look at fundamentals in a kind light.

Honestly.. wow...

Personally I have no problem with it. From a cost perspective I have no problem with any personalized license plate. I don't see how this is a separation of church and state thing. If someone wants "I believe" then they should have it assuming there is enough demand for it. You can't do every "one off" for every person.

Honestly.. does having a personalized license plate of "I believe" get anyone closer to God.

I can see it now:

Me: I know I didn't lead the best life.. but I did pay an extra $20 clams to get "I believe" on my license plate.. that has to be worth something right?

God: It tipped the scales in your favor. Nice work.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,566,823 times
Not everything is hilarious. I live in SC, and I find it to be just another step towards silencing Christians forever. Read into it whatever you want and make light of it, but it's serious stuff. I will gladly stand up for this right and will pay $1,000 dollars for the priviledge of owning said license plate. Looks like the devil will win out once again to where I won't even have that option. I hate bumper stickers and anything stuck to a vehicle, so this would be something that I would find in good taste to put on my car. And there's plenty of Christians in SC who will fight it, just like I plan on doing. But I'm taking it too far, right? It's okay for "them" to take it away...no problem. The problem comes in when I decide as a Christian that I want to fight for that choice, so that makes me ridiculous and puts me in a "bad light"? Get real.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,424,703 times
The government making money from people's religion... There's a first... I say knock yourself out.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,094,661 times
Personally I'd outlaw ALL these stupid "special" license plates! Want to broadcast your opinion to the world? Get a bumper sticker!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,566,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The government making money from people's religion... There's a first... I say knock yourself out.
They're making money no matter what, so why not be able to get what I want with my money? But, noooooo. I mean, the plate is so vague anyway. What's the big deal? If it weren't for the cross symbol in the stained glass, people could assume "I believe" to mean I believe in UFO's or whatever. I could see myself getting bent about this one. Just as much as the evil atheist woman who managed to have prayer removed from schools.

What really ticks me off is the Governor not endorsing the plate. How politically correct of him. I used to like him.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:43 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,039,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Not everything is hilarious.
but this is.. I find this very hilarious. Top 5 in my book.

Quote:
I live in SC, and I find it to be just another step towards silencing Christians forever.
First.. like I said.. I have no problem with a "I believe" license plate. I think its very odd.. but thats my opinion.

I would like to know how this is a step towards silencing Christians though. I'm quite confused by that. Its a license plate. It doesn't talk.

Quote:
Read into it whatever you want and make light of it..
done and done.

Quote:
but it's serious stuff.
Actually.. in my opinion.. it isn't. Not even close to serious. Like if "serious" were a football field.. this issue would be watching the game from home..

Quote:
I will gladly stand up for this right and will pay $1,000 dollars for the priviledge of owning said license plate.
How does that feed someone? How about this.. take that $1,000 and go to a local shelter and buy them some food.

Quote:
Looks like the devil will win out once again to where I won't even have that option.
Paint a cross on your car.. paint scripture on your car.. do whatever you like.. indicating that the devil is behind his is ultimately just a little weird in my book.

Quote:
I hate bumper stickers and anything stuck to a vehicle, so this would be something that I would find in good taste to put on my car.
Like I said.. paint it.

Quote:
And there's plenty of Christians in SC who will fight it, just like I plan on doing.
Thus the reasons why other states laugh at SC. I'm serious. You don't want to take the confederate flag down from the captial (not you personally) but you want "I belive" on a license plate.

Do you see why I find this hilarious yet?

Quote:
But I'm taking it too far, right?
Take it as far as you like.. If putting "I believe" is that important to you.. then I say fight it out. I'm just telling you why I think its hilarious. Good times indeed.

Quote:
The problem comes in when I decide as a Christian that I want to fight for that choice, so that makes me ridiculous and puts me in a "bad light"?
Like I said.. fight for it. Use your time and energy to fight for a license plate. I never said it makes you ridiculous.. I said I find it hilarious.

Quote:
Get real
But I am real. I'm not the one who said they would spend $1,000 on a license plate..

Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,652,157 times
Quote:
They're making money no matter what, so why not be able to get what I want with my money? But, noooooo. I mean, the plate is so vague anyway. What's the big deal? If it weren't for the cross symbol in the stained glass, people could assume "I believe" to mean I believe in UFO's or whatever. I could see myself getting bent about this one. Just as much as the evil atheist woman who managed to have prayer removed from schools.

What really ticks me off is the Governor not endorsing the plate. How politically correct of him. I used to like him.
I so agree with you. It is getting so ridiculous these days. Their nit-picking everything.... what is the big deal. Like you said it is the cross on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity