U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Big Deal.. so I added a poll. I glorify God x% of the time
10% 3 60.00%
20% 0 0%
30% 0 0%
40% 0 0%
50% 0 0%
60% 0 0%
70% 0 0%
80% 1 20.00%
90% 0 0%
100% 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476

Advertisements

Can you glorify God in everything you do? I read on this board about how you shouldn't do this or that because it doesn't glorify God.

So do you try to glorify God in everything you do? I mean everything..

Cooking, cleaning, working, mowing the lawn, filing up your car with gas, watching TV, posting on this message board, brushing your teeth, combing your hair (if you have any), gardening, putting your shoes on, ironing your shirts, feeding your pets, changing a diaper, swimming, running, bicycling, eating..

Taking it a step further..

Say you have Man "A" and Man "B" (or woman A and B). Lets say Man "A" goes to church all the time. He knows his scripture and he frequently leaves his family to during the week because he has many positions within the church (committees etc). People look at "A" and say he is a good "christian" man.

Lets say Man "B" goes to church when the schedule is right. Doesn't really know his scripture but he spends all his time he can with his family. He is home 99% of the time (outside of work)_making sure his kids know him and making sure he is bringing them up correctly.

Which man (or woman) glorifies God?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
 
Location: God's Country
22,115 posts, read 31,490,400 times
Reputation: 30866
Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, all the while giving thanks through him to God the Father".
As Christians we represent Jesus and this means we should bring honor to Him in every aspect and activity of life. I believe it's more important to "be" church than to go to church so my answer is B.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
 
1,839 posts, read 4,658,699 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Can you glorify God in everything you do? I read on this board about how you shouldn't do this or that because it doesn't glorify God.

So do you try to glorify God in everything you do? I mean everything..

Cooking, cleaning, working, mowing the lawn, filing up your car with gas, watching TV, posting on this message board, brushing your teeth, combing your hair (if you have any), gardening, putting your shoes on, ironing your shirts, feeding your pets, changing a diaper, swimming, running, bicycling, eating..

Taking it a step further..

Say you have Man "A" and Man "B" (or woman A and B). Lets say Man "A" goes to church all the time. He knows his scripture and he frequently leaves his family to during the week because he has many positions within the church (committees etc). People look at "A" and say he is a good "christian" man.

Lets say Man "B" goes to church when the schedule is right. Doesn't really know his scripture but he spends all his time he can with his family. He is home 99% of the time (outside of work)_making sure his kids know him and making sure he is bringing them up correctly.

Which man (or woman) glorifies God?
Great questions!

As far as which man is glorifying God, that's a tough one because motives are also included. We can't really know another person's motives, so I don't think we can say, with assurance, who is glorifying God and who isn't. But, we can know for ourselves whether we are or not by examining our life, words, actions, heart and motives.

As for the first part of your post, I do believe we can glorify God in everything we do - even the mundane things like doing the dishes or filling the car with gas.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

When taken in context all the way through verse 22, these verses are showing in a condensed version, how live a successful Christian life. Verse 17 is one that confuses a lot of people. "How do we pray without ceasing?" It's not talking about praying without a break or praying repetitious prayers, but rather praying persistently and regularly.

We do this with the attitude of our hearts. Thanklessness is a trait of unbelievers, according to Romans 1:21 and 2 Timothy 3:1-5. So, how do we glorify God when we're filling our gas tanks, even with today's outrageous prices? By thanking Him for the provision that we have for that tank of gas. We thank Him for providing our need for that day. It's having a heart that's always mindful of Him and acknowledging Him throughout the day.

I can honestly tell you that this has revolutionized by life, including my prayer life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, all the while giving thanks through him to God the Father".
As Christians we represent Jesus and this means we should bring honor to Him in every aspect and activity of life. I believe it's more important to "be" church than to go to church so my answer is B.
But ILNC how do you bring honor in every aspect and activity in life? Thanks for the input so far!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
 
Location: God's Country
22,115 posts, read 31,490,400 times
Reputation: 30866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
But ILNC how do you bring honor in every aspect and activity in life? Thanks for the input so far!
By where we go, what we say, the language we use, we reflect Jesus either in a good way or a bad way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Great questions!

As far as which man is glorifying God, that's a tough one because motives are also included. We can't really know another person's motives, so I don't think we can say, with assurance, who is glorifying God and who isn't. But, we can know for ourselves whether we are or not by examining our life, words, actions, heart and motives.

As for the first part of your post, I do believe we can glorify God in everything we do - even the mundane things like doing the dishes or filling the car with gas.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

When taken in context all the way through verse 22, these verses are showing in a condensed version, how live a successful Christian life. Verse 17 is one that confuses a lot of people. "How do we pray without ceasing?" It's not talking about praying without a break or praying repetitious prayers, but rather praying persistently and regularly.

We do this with the attitude of our hearts. Thanklessness is a trait of unbelievers, according to Romans 1:21 and 2 Timothy 3:1-5. So, how do we glorify God when we're filling our gas tanks, even with today's outrageous prices? By thanking Him for the provision that we have for that tank of gas. We thank Him for providing our need for that day. It's having a heart that's always mindful of Him and acknowledging Him throughout the day.

I can honestly tell you that this has revolutionized by life, including my prayer life.
Ok.. Lets talk real life and strip down everything else.

You get up in the morning.. take a shower.. and do what to glorify God while in the shower?

Don't make me use a different bathroom example! I'm trying my best to stay away from that.

I guess I'm trying to get to.. how do you do it now? No fakeness.. no "I glorify God everyday in everything I do". I mean fakeness in that I think we sometimes exaggerate our daily lives on this board..

Or are you saying you can glorify God in everything you do .. but you just don't?

I'll be honest here.. I don't. I take a shower.. get dressed.. I'm trying to help my wife in the morning before I get out the door (i do a poor job there everyday).. I get home.. help cook dinner.. sometimes help wash dishes (I do an even worse job there).. and then put my child to bed.

Oh.. and forget about those 50-60 hour work weeks..

I don't have time to stop and think about whether or not what I do glorifies God. That may sound crass (sp?) but thats the truth.

Sometimes when I see people post on this board I think... "Wow.. I've found the most perfect Christians ever. Everyone seems to do everything right or at least seems to tell everyone how to do everything just right"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
By where we go, what we say, the language we use, we reflect Jesus either in a good way or a bad way.
Ok.. now stay with me..

You are searching for an outfit to wear to your new job (congrats again!)..

how are you glorifying God? Are you saying something? Are you thinking something?

See where I'm getting at? We have 24 hours in a day.. take out at least 8 hours for sleep (man I love sleep) and that leaves us 16 hours to glorify God. What % of that 16 hours do you think you use to glorfiy God?

There are so many things that have to be done in life.. just to make it a life.. so many little things. I guess the question is how do you glorify God while doing your little tasks?

Make sense?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476
Yes.. I know my posts are weird.. I think in absolutes too often.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,295 posts, read 8,665,805 times
Reputation: 17794
I would say "B".
The Lord would have us to put Him first and then our family. A father who shares his life with his wife and children is giving them the riches gift a man can do and this shows his family the love of the heavenly Father.

Blessings
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,444,628 times
Reputation: 1476
Ok.. I went 10% on the poll..

If I sleep 8 hours and work for 8 hours that takes up 66% of my day (leaving me 33%).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top