Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,965 times

Advertisements

As always in my threads, if you are a non-believer and have something nice to add, please feel free. But remember what your mama said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

I have been thinking about this lately. How do you view things in your life? And is it, in your opinion, do to your faith in God? For me, I try to always find the good in people and things. I try not to get bogged down with drudgery. I always look for the positive and I thank God for it all.

My most recent example...last night while entertaining myself in the world of youtube, my husband came to the kitchen to retrieve something from the fridge. After he left, I was overwhelmed by a terrible burning smell, something plastic or electric. I immediately called him back to the kitchen so that we could determine the source. Well, it was coming from the fridge. I don't know what was going wrong, but we moved everything into the 'extra' fridge/freezer in the garage and unplugged the one in the house. During all of this, I thanked God that we had a 2nd fridge, that we caught the smell when we did and that the house did not burn down (this one is debatable). I wondered, does everyone look at life from the positive side and do you think that it because we are Christians? I think that for me, it is. I know that God will provide and I have no fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
As always in my threads, if you are a non-believer and have something nice to add, please feel free. But remember what your mama said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

I have been thinking about this lately. How do you view things in your life? And is it, in your opinion, do to your faith in God? For me, I try to always find the good in people and things. I try not to get bogged down with drudgery. I always look for the positive and I thank God for it all.

My most recent example...last night while entertaining myself in the world of youtube, my husband came to the kitchen to retrieve something from the fridge. After he left, I was overwhelmed by a terrible burning smell, something plastic or electric. I immediately called him back to the kitchen so that we could determine the source. Well, it was coming from the fridge. I don't know what was going wrong, but we moved everything into the 'extra' fridge/freezer in the garage and unplugged the one in the house. During all of this, I thanked God that we had a 2nd fridge, that we caught the smell when we did and that the house did not burn down (this one is debatable). I wondered, does everyone look at life from the positive side and do you think that it because we are Christians? I think that for me, it is. I know that God will provide and I have no fears.
I also have a very positive attitude and I think it is because be are Christians and for me I remember Romans 8:28 " And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who live God and are called according to His purpose for them".
I believe God will provide for me just as provided the ram for Abraham.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
I wondered, does everyone look at life from the positive side and do you think that it because we are Christians? I think that for me, it is. I know that God will provide and I have no fears.
Oh to have that attitude. This is an area I struggle with almost constantly and need more work on. I think it shows how close your relationship to God is when you don't get ruffled by the sudden chaos that can spring up in our lives.

As for me, it sort of comes in waves. There will be periods of time where yes, my attitude is close to yours. I'm thankful and patient even in the midst of turmoil. The inner peace and strength given to me by God is apparent and things work out. Then there are other times where my first impulse comes flying out and anger and frustration ensue. Then I have to remind myself that God is in control and what will be will be. Then I remind myself to seek His will so the screw-up I just made can be undone .. His way, not mine.

Like I said, for me it's an area that needs improvement. But as long as I remind myself that God is on his throne, yes there is a peace and strength that comes from being a Christian that provides the positive attitude in times of trouble.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Every grey cloud has a silver lining in my book.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times
Good thread.

For me I believe my faith helps me to think more positively about many things that come my way in life, it helps me to do my best at being polite and friendly to others, it helps me to do my best at not judging others but instead treating them the way I would want to be treated and that never includes being judged, it helps me to not spend so much time complaining or criticizing things but rather making the most out of things and seeing the good within things, and most importantly it helps me to realize that everything I have is because of the grace of God. Sure, I work hard to make things happen in my life, but even my working hard would not be possible without God blessing me with an opportunity to be here and be alive and to be in good health. No one is here by accident, we are here because God has a plan for each and every one of us, and we are so blessed to be here.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
Smile Same here

Quote:
Quote:

As a believer
I believe that through God, I can do anything, but fail;
I view life through spiritual eyes, sometimes I get off track in the flesh,
there are times when I have to pray for restoration ;
My outlook on life is not always positive when I look at it from my flesh ( a creepy thought"; )
I actually had a more positive outlook on life, before I was born again;
Spiritually, I trust in God with all my might and heart, and daily try not to lean unto my own understanding, because when i do, I fail myself and others;
But looking through spiritual eyes I see more than I care to , and it grieves me, to see the depravity of mankind, and the rebellion...
But this is why , I must pray at all times
God Bless

Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,347 times
As a fellow Christian, I am having trouble with the basis for this discussion. Who is to say that Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Native Americans, and Wiccans can't and don't believe that their faith provides the basis for their positive outlook?

Having taught pre-school in a multi-cultural setting for many years, I prefer to see our commonalities rather then our differences. Every culture eats bread in some form, every culture wears hats, every culture has a "Little Red Riding Hood" story in some form, every culture has a belief system in some form. And as near as I can tell, somewhere in that system there exists a belief in the Golden Rule in some form.

I understand where you are coming from, in giving your belief system credit for your outlook. It is not my intention to belittle you or your belief, because I hold the same view. At the same time, I think to only acknowledge one limited viewpoint as valid doesn't do much to promote understanding or charity, and doesn't help us to see the big picture.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,526 times
My parents and I used to talk about the changes after we turned out lives over to Christ. My parents didn't drink, smoke, cuss and were model citizens. But after accepting Christ (in their 50's) there was such a change on the inside. A new zeal for God's word and a deep prayer life. I'm sure many of their friends didn't notice since they were upbeat and happy, successful people. My mom has passed away but my dad at 87 studies the Word, listens to spiritual tapes and is on the board of a Seminary and writes some material for them. He is still growing and God is still working on him. This gives me such inspiration for my life.
I think God has a hedge around us and only lets the things in and out as He allows for our good. When I have struggles I trust that God is with me and has a purpose for it. I love it that God neither sleeps or slumbers and is with us all the time. I take comfort in that. I am basically an upbeat and happy person but my joy is in the Lord.
I start everyday with "The joy of the Lord is my strength"

Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
I don't know if I should add to this or not. But I think I should because of the testimony of becoming a whole new creation in Christ. I am not a naturally happy, upbeat person. I think a person's outlook has everything to do with their own individual personalities.

Now with that said, the NATURE of that personality can change through Christ. It can be quite miraculous, as it is in my case. I still struggle with issues just like Mams said he does, but the peace that came from giving my life fully to Christ cannot be matched by ANYTHING of this world. Because of Christ, I do have a better outlook. I'm nothing without Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity