Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times

Advertisements

The following link will take you to "an open letter to Joel Osteen" written by Greg Garrett. Greg Garrett is a novelist, a professor of English at Baylor University, writer-in-residence at the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest, and a licensed lay preacher in the Episcopal Church. He is the author most recently of The Other Jesus (WJK).

Greg Garrett - An Open Letter to Joel Osteen - Patheos.com - Day1.org

I am just curious to read what others think about Greg Garrett's words and also Joel Osteen.

And out of curiousity, maybe someone can clear up for me what a 'licensed lay preacher' is.

Thanks,
Weather... <><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
The following link will take you to "an open letter to Joel Osteen" written by Greg Garrett. Greg Garrett is a novelist, a professor of English at Baylor University, writer-in-residence at the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest, and a licensed lay preacher in the Episcopal Church. He is the author most recently of The Other Jesus (WJK).

Greg Garrett - An Open Letter to Joel Osteen - Patheos.com - Day1.org

I am just curious to read what others think about Greg Garrett's words and also Joel Osteen.

And out of curiousity, maybe someone can clear up for me what a 'licensed lay preacher' is.

Thanks,
Weather... <><
It's painfully obvious this guy knows nothing about Joel Osteen.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
He is absolutely correct in his opinion of Joel.

He may a well be speaking of every one of them out there that are guilty of the very thing he is...which is, of failing miserably at preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and what it actually takes to see your salvation. He has no message of salvation...and everyone who sits under him...well...their blood will be on his hands...and they will all see their very destruction instead.....as ignorance will not be accepted as an excuse.

...the dead leading the dead...the blind leading the blind...right off of the cliff.

Excellant letter.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
An interesting read; thank you weatherologist.

I once thought that a true believe in Christ was, as Osteen preaches, an economically-sound, physically-fit, socially-eloquent individual. And I think it's tempting to believe that, especially when you are not those things. It gives people the illusion of hope for a better way of life, even if they will most likely never get there. It's a type of "opium for the masses."

The message I read in scripture, however, is much the opposite: "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind" and "My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

So part of our growth includes suffering. Paul received a "thorn in the flesh" from the Lord. God didn't remove the thorn. Paul also didn't say, "hey God, I want to be economically-secure, full of self-esteem, popular, healthy, etc." He knew that to grow in Christ means to also go through suffering: "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."

Osteen's gospel is totally different than the gospel of Jesus Christ, imo. Riches are fine; but they ought not be of much interest to Christians. Our focus ought to be on Him who owns all things! In Him is our joy, not material wealth.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Osteen's gospel is totally different than the gospel of Jesus Christ, imo. Riches are fine; but they ought not be of much interest to Christians. Our focus ought to be on Him who owns all things! In Him is our joy, not material wealth.

Thank YOU, Brian. You are right. It was an interesting read.

For me, it sort of shed light on a few things that, unbeknownst to me, have lingered in my mind. You see, I occasionally have watched Joel Osteen on the tube. I enjoy his message. But I know that while I watch, I sit there sort of in a daze. His message is usually uplifting. It makes one 'happy'. But something about it never sits right with me. I have never really given much thought to the man or the Gospel that he was preaching and as I have now taken time to reflect on it, for me, it was more of 'entertainment' than Gospel.

Thanks to each of you for your comments.

Peace be with you,
~weather <><

Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
He is absolutely correct in his opinion of Joel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
It's painfully obvious this guy knows nothing about Joel Osteen.
That about says it all.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
So part of our growth includes suffering. Paul received a "thorn in the flesh" from the Lord. God didn't remove the thorn. Paul also didn't say, "hey God, I want to be economically-secure, full of self-esteem, popular, healthy, etc." He knew that to grow in Christ means to also go through suffering: "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."

Agree. God bless and peace.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Joel Osteen has rejected Jesus Christ as the only way to God on the Larry King show.

Joel Osteen Says Jesus Christ is Not the Only Way - YouTube

I find it interesting they call him an "evangelist" but the guy does not preach the gospel - death, burial, and resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15) - as a necessity to save a fallen sinful human race from damnation.

Osteen preaches "another gospel", one that focuses on self-help messages that tickle the ears and help financially support his megachurch.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
People can get intrigued with cozy preacher who do not preach the offense of the Gospel , or you can listen to preachers who teach condemnation against other believers , and teach people to condemn each other , or preacher who try to scare people into the kingdom of God ...Were if you do listen then as a Christians we must remove the bones in the Word that we hear and spit them out and forgive there offense to our understanding ...... or we can turn off the channel and watch a different show, .... But we should get the true Word of God by some source and we must get into the company of other believers to build foundations which will help in our life and walk with the Lord Jesus

Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
It's a sad commentary on America today that thousands of clueless, unthinking, credulous , weak minded dumbkopfs listen to this charlatan in a $2,000 suit! And, buy his useless books, as well as contribute to his lavish lifestyle.
This duplicitous clown, and his plastic Barbie wife are laughing all the way to the bank. What is it that's in the water down there in Texas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity