Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,802,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Am a "he" or child of God, but not considered she unless it is part of the bride of Christ.

You can pick up a copy even a target now. It was only available for a while at Christian bookstores, or online.
well you a "He"well you sure do write pretty MR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,255,094 times
Looks like a book I'd like to buy, but I spend way too much money on books! (don't have TV)

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,130,577 times
Spending money on books is something alot of us do, but if it really about the money, you an order it for free. Here is the link, but it takes a couple of weeks to receive it.

https://www.papaslove.org/

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,802,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Spending money on books is something alot of us do, but if it really about the money, you an order it for free. Here is the link, but it takes a couple of weeks to receive it.

https://www.papaslove.org/

Thankyou for the link will take advantge of it!!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,528,184 times
The Shack. Confusing at times. Witty, unbelievable, challenging, thought provoking, and yet so much more. This book took me longer to read than I would have liked. Most books of this size can be read in a day or two. However, I found myself re-reading many chapters and/or sentences over again.

Has it changed my life style? I'm not sure how to answer this. When reading a certain sentence or chapter, I would attempt to apply the 'message' to my life. In doing so, I knew I needed to change some part of my way of thinking in order to be free of past thoughts that had been dominating my feelings for so long. Thoughts that have led me to harbor negative feelings thereby binding me to this negativity in my relationships with others.

Basically, I am a happy person. I think of 'glass half full' as opposed to 'glass half empty'. The Shack has succeeded in reopening my eyes to the simplicity and beauty of our world. This book has also succeeded in removing any guilt of my forgiving others for their behavior towards me an/or my family. I have been made to feel guilty for forgiving a man of committing a terrible tragedy causing the death of my father.

This forgiveness did not come easily nor did it come quickly. but when it did , I felt relieved while others shamed me for treating this person with forgiveness. But I kept thinking, why burden myself with this hate and loathing, when I am sure the 'guilty' person felt no such emotion. Much later, I was surprised to learn that this person really has experienced guilt and in his own way sought forgiveness..

Again 'The Shack' has uplifted me. I would recommend reading this book. Don't have to be a Christian to 'enjoy' the story line.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,655,405 times
Well I haven't read the book and was interested in possibly reading it, since I have heard a lot about it.

This morning I received an email from one of the ministries I subscribe to and I just found this out. I would like to share a snip it of some of the information with all and let you make your decision if it is really a good book for Christian to read.

We really need to have more discernment into the things we read. There is hidden messages in some much material that we place our eyes on... they sound good, but should we really read them.

Dr Michael Youssef from, Leading the Way, ministry.
You can go to the web site "Leading the Way" and read more on what he and other's have uncovered about this book.

The Shack Uncovered
After reading the popular novel, The Shack, I find it necessary to bring to light some of its errors. The book is like a deep ditch covered with beautiful flowers — sadly, many Christians are falling into this ditch.

As I read The Shack, I tried to find out as much as possible about the author, Paul Young. He was the son of missionaries to New Guinea. He went to Bible school, and he had some pain in his life. He once believed in biblical truth until about four years ago when he embraced Christian universalism.

Dr. Michael Youssef gives scripture reference to what is promoted in this book against that heresy of the hidden message of Christian Universalist teaching in the book.

But I wanted to post this for other's that possibly have not read it to really pray for discernment that if the Lord wants one to read it.
I'm truly thankful the Lord always protects us somehow from the things that are not of Him and can harm us. I'm so glad He put this information into my hands.

Blessing to all...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 AM

I almost had to laugh after reading this Michael Youssef's, commentary about "the shack".

First off, I really enjoyed the "book". Yes, while it does explain A LOT about how his interpretation of the Trinity is, for HIS children as it was written FOR his children, we MUST NOT TAKE IT AS GOSPEL, for it is just a book. Nor does the author intend for anyone to.

Second, I love how people who have PH.D's come in to dissect something written from the heart, by using scripture to refute it. I can show you in scripture where Jesus called us "god's" but then you would say I am sympathetic to Mormonism. This is the mindset of a Pharisee. They "use" scripture to how best it suits them, mostly for their own personal gains.

Third Micheal even contradicts himself, by using scripture to prove a point, and by doing so, makes the Bible itself look contradictory. He blasts Paul for making God's reveal Himself to Mack as an elderly black woman seem heretical, though the only reason for Paul doing so was to remove the misconceptions that people have of the Father. Then Michael blasts Paul for this descriptive type. And a cross isn't offensive to some? Or a portrait of Jesus with halos? Aren't these images and don't people pray to them, kiss them, and even parade them around? But Michael must not believe that Jesus IS the CREATOR. He is just as much Father, as the Father is the Son. Now look around at ALL the portraits and crosses of Jesus. If that isn't imagery I don't know what is.

And Paul Young is not Paul the Apostle. The Shack is not scripture. It is just a book, showing How the author dealt with God and Christ throughout his 15 years of mental anguish, and condensed it down to a weekend in a book.

P.S. He doesn't, I believe, believe in Universal Reconciliation. If he does, that would be his own business. I personally don't find that theology heretical since 5 out of the 6 early churches all believed in this or were sympathetic towards this, as unknowing. Only Rome didn't, and we know who won that war.

P.S.S. If someone told me not to read something, especially someone who made a living from the church, I would rush right out and buy it. Why? Because unless it would be a threat TO them, why would they bash something that was written so beautiful and from the heart for his children?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,268 times
Gee... I wonder what Paul Washer thinks about The Shack...???

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,655,405 times
Wow, hit a sore spot on someone! Must be a universalist!!
If one notices the word discernment is used.....
A lot of things are written beautiful... but are not fruitful for the heart!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Gee... I wonder what Paul Washer thinks about The Shack...???
Paul Washer is one of my favorite people that I listen to. I have most of his sermons downloaded. What would he say about "the shack"?

Ask him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity