Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I see what you mean in how you connect the music with the band but I honestly don't know how to apply that to myself.
"What is the 'music' and what is the 'band'?" Then again, perhaps the reason I can't dance is because I'm tone deaf...
Aually,Troop the music and the band thing came from June and another member , and she has been trying to connect the two..So I was just trying to put myself in her atheist position..I think the music is maybe the action(work) of the spirit that is there even though we don't acknowledge it, but on rare occasions "moments" we feel or sense something more mighty and powerful, and humbling that seems to be coming from us..I think that is the beginning of the awakening of the spirit...Simply because you acknowledged something bigger, more powerful, something you desire to know..something that makes you say....maybe...

Btw I understand the music, but I think one should seek the composer of the music instead of the band..I can't grasp the concept of the band, but I think we can find the Composer (God/creator) by following the music the (spirit).. I know that you know that the bible says that the spirit is sent as our guide, comfortor, etc.) This may be easier to understand..

Ps..Ditto on the comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Aually,Troop the music and the band thing came from June and another member , and she has been trying to connect the two..So I was just trying to put myself in her atheist position..I think the music is maybe the action(work) of the spirit that is there even though we don't acknowledge it, but on rare occasions "moments" we feel or sense something more mighty and powerful, and humbling that seems to be coming from us..I think that is the beginning of the awakening of the spirit...Simply because you acknowledged something bigger, more powerful, something you desire to know..something that makes you say....maybe...

Btw I understand the music, but I think one should seek the composer of the music instead of the band..I can't grasp the concept of the band, but I think we can find the Composer (God/creator) by following the music the (spirit).. I know that you know that the bible says that the spirit is sent as our guide, comfortor, etc.) This may be easier to understand..

Ps..Ditto on the comment
Ok... spirits and the awakening of them... That seems to throw me every time. I don't mind calling myself "spiritual" but that seems to be more of a sense of fulfillment or contentedness rather than an acknowledgement of something greater or mystical- at least for me.

I guess you could say when I see something confounding and awe-striking I want to know how it works and I want a solid explanation of why it is the way it is. And I suppose that my cognition of something awe-striking is not fulfilled until I grasp the concept of why and how it works. Otherwise, I just get frustrated that I don't understand it and then it becomes more of an annoyance than a beauty. So, I suppose you could say that through understanding the beauty of nature I make my own little connection and I'm not happy until I can both perceive the beautiful as well as understand it. But, I suppose in that fashion, I am very demanding as to the methods and contrivances of how things are explained - which is why I often have a difficult time with "faith". I hope that makes sense?

P.S.- Your comment about my comment warms my heart.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
One of my newest favorite movies of all time starts off with this, and I will quote it for you all. I shed a tear every single time I watch, and listen, to this movie.

Quote:
Listen. Can you hear it? The music! I can hear it everywhere. In the wind. In the air. In the light. It is all around us. All you have to do is, open yourself up. All you have to do, is listen.
How does one connect the music with the band? First we all must be willing to stop, and listen. How does one define it? Is it the cosmic connection, kinda like math? Can you imagine what the music of heaven is like? It would be pure, without a beat. It would connect us with God in a way that would feel like surfing the tail of a comet through the galaxies. Magnificent! In the middle of this movie, there is a conversation with another man, who "hears" this music. This is his take on it:

Quote:
Man:
You know whats out there? A series of higher tones. Arranged by nature. It is governed by the laws of physics by the whole universe. It's a overtone, it's a energy, it's a wavelength, and if your not riding it, good lord, you will never hear it.
Child:
Where do you think it comes from? What I hear?
Man:
I think it comes from all around you, really. It comes through us, well, some of us. It's invisible, but you feel it.
Child:
So only some of us can hear it.
Man:
Only some of us are listening!
Sometimes when I watch a movie, and see a snapshot of God, revealing Himself to me, through something, or someone else, I am awestruck. I really think it is kinda like this quote above. Are we listening, or looking? The movie I am quoting here is August Rush, and it will make the tears shed, and you will find yourself watching it over and over. This movie, to me, was like watching a "shack".

This kid has only one purpose. Just one. But trying to pursue this purpose, he literally touches so many people, by what he hears, and translates.

How many of us are like that? I mean, I look at the man, Jesus Christ, the same way. He came for just one purpose. He lived for just one purpose. Only a few were listening. Only a few were seeing. Was His purpose to "make" them listen? Or see? No! That was the Father's cause.

Have you ever walked outside, and caught the whiff of the aroma of flowers? Even though these flowers have been blooming, for some reason, this day, you really caught the sweet aroma, of their music. Why? Or see something you have passed over a hundred times, but then "noticed", and was awestruck that you never saw it before?

See, when I read the Bible, the same thing happens. The Spirit, although it does not literally "talk" to me, guides me. I can tell this because I am, at times, so open to receive it, and then I "see".

We cannot know the Truth by just looking. We cannot know the Truth just by hearing. It takes the Key, to unlock those doors. We have had many, many smart people live on our earth. And as smart as they were, it was only a grain of sand on the beach in grand scheme of things.

If God was to reveal His total Truth about everything to us, at once, we would probably be rendered mad for the rest of our lives, by those who didn't see it. I also see Jesus in this light. Can you imagine what He knew? How hard it must have been to convey that Truth, without going off the deep end? It was probably why the parables were used, the way they were. Music takes us closer, for those listening. Math takes us closer, by understanding it. Science gives us glimpses of understanding, for a time. Even the artistic nature of paintings and such, convey what the artist sees.

What one sees, the others may not. I see this as religion. Not just in God, or the things pertaining to God. Those things which we just don't understand, by seeing or listening. When we try to make sense of it for ourselves, without the knowledge of the Truth, it becomes an opinion. Religion.

Sorry for going off topic, this got me. And then I thought of August and his personal quest. Watch the movie, as it was so, so awesome, for those who are listening.

Quote:
How do you connect the "music" with the "band?"

Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
HotinAz. Wow, that was one beautiful quote, and the best post about faith I have seen in a long time.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
Better links listed below.....

Last edited by little_thirsty; 10-26-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
Okay so if you have a few mintues in these three interviews William Paul Young answers some questions about the book, excellent insight on where he is coming from.

YouTube - William P. Young author of The Shack on Atlanta Live Part 1

YouTube - William P. Young author of The Shack on Atlanta Live Part 2

YouTube - Atlanta Live William Paul Young, THE SHACK, Part 3

Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

Could someone please explain this music and band thing to me? Because I really don't get it...

June neither.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post

A child saving a village
A child saving an entire world
A child saving her dad
I guess that begs the question:

1. Did missy save her dad because of what her dad did to his own father
or
2. Did missy save her dad because of what happened to Missy

If #1 then I think the book sucks.
If #2 then I still like the book.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I guess that begs the question:

1. Did missy save her dad because of what her dad did to his own father
or
2. Did missy save her dad because of what happened to Missy

If #1 then I think the book sucks.
If #2 then I still like the book.
#3 Neither of the above?

June thinks that the author was just looking for a vehicle around which to convey redemption through forgiveness, as well as connection/relationship. (With other people, with God.) June thinks he used Missy as a means by which to portray the love that Papa/God the Father has for mankind via enabling the reader to identify and empathize with the love Mack had for Missy, and the empathy they felt towards him in reading the book. Perhaps the author (in being clever enough to do so) found the ways and means to convey to the reader the things that exist in each person's individual life, where (whether one has physically lost a child or not) one can still relate to a parent loving a child, as well as the experience of losing someone we loved.

June thinks that is what she thinks, but right now is dashing this off so quickly that she basically doesn't have time to think, so she'll let this go for now, and perhaps rethink it later....

Take gentle pondering care.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
#3 Neither of the above?

June thinks that the author was just looking for a vehicle around which to convey redemption through forgiveness, as well as connection/relationship.
I'd call that number 2 though. (not as in number 2 = poopie.. as in number 2 that I listed above).

Missy saved Mack because of what happened to Missy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity