U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,492,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
And PG77, your battle at work is futile. I had to learn that the hard way also. I think you should follow the suggestions from Mams1559 post about work related things. Don't be like me and tell them all to shove it and have 100 different jobs behind you to show for it!!

I like to think that I wouldn't do that now. God bless!
Unfortunately, I have about 100 behind me now When will I ever learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 AM

322 posts, read 458,044 times
Recently at work, a supervisor speaking at our daily meeting became very hostile and mean towards every one. He cursed, threatened to fire people, and was very rude.

I don't like such behavior and had a real battle with the evil one who was tempting me to retaliate. I qouted some scriptures to the devil. and also began to pray. I ask GOD to please stop the demonic forces at that place.

Within about an hour, the supervisor came and apoligized to me for his words at the meeting and I had not said anything to him about it. Things only got better from there and the supervisor has had a very noticable change in attitude. The LORD is so good!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 AM

3,797 posts, read 4,280,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I know in the Bible it says you are supposed to "turn the other cheek" but is it wrong to stand up for yourself and be honest? I am finding great difficulty with this as I encounter so many people who blatantly lie, etc. I believe in being honest and I call people out on it when they are being dishonest. Am I wrong? Should I just be quiet and turn the other cheek or are there times when it is acceptable to speak up?
I believe turning the other cheek means do not let others take away your power by taking offense to thier words or deeds. Everytime we are offende, we are victimizing ourselves and we give our power away.

Turning the other cheek certainly doesn't mean to be a doormat and let people walk over you, or slap your other cheek. It simply means don't be easily offended. Know that it is impossible to be offended unless you allow it.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,475,795 times
Originally Posted by moonsavvy
Quote:
Turning the other cheek certainly doesn't mean to be a doormat and let people walk over you, or slap your other cheek.
I agree.
I mean Ghandi wants nothing to do with violence, but even he said:
Quote:
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
Mahatma Gandhi
Indian political and spiritual leader (1869 - 1948)
Simply because hiding your impotence under the guise of being non-violent or not resisting would only make you a hypocrite.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,344,675 times
What helps me when I turn the other cheek is to say...will this matter in an hour, in a week or a month. It helps me to put it in perspective. What is hard is that we are to be a witness to the world. If we react just like the world we might miss an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. The world wants to see that our beliefs make a difference in all areas of our lives. I don't think that means you are a doormat. You can "speak the truth in love" and do what is just.
The world is really watching....

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,492,869 times
I guess the reason I speak up (in an honest and polite way) when I see injustice is because if no one ever says anything to these people they will continue to treat people this way.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM

9,581 posts, read 5,244,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
What helps me when I turn the other cheek is to say...will this matter in an hour, in a week or a month. It helps me to put it in perspective. What is hard is that we are to be a witness to the world. If we react just like the world we might miss an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. The world wants to see that our beliefs make a difference in all areas of our lives. I don't think that means you are a doormat. You can "speak the truth in love" and do what is just.
The world is really watching....
Yes, they are watching! The life living it will witness more then our words ever can.
One's life, lives what it truly believes and will be the fruit of our actions.
One of my spiritual mentor's said to me one time.... does it have any eternal value..
Great words ever said to me. It really helps to think what we are about to do.... will it have an eternal purpose for whom ever may be watching or listening.

Blessings

Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,475,795 times
Originally Posted by PG77
Quote:
I guess the reason I speak up (in an honest and polite way) when I see injustice is because if no one ever says anything to these people they will continue to treat people this way.
The exact same reason why I always speak up, simply because I agree with Edmund Burke.
Quote:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 AM

100 posts, read 187,377 times
Can I jump in here? Sorry, My name is Mandy and I'm new to posting here. I think "turn the other cheek is more of a reference to forgiving. Thats my interpretation anyway. if someone wrongs you, say your piece, but then turn the other cheek. God made us to have emotions, its healthy as long as we deal with them in a healthy way, but then turn the other cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity