U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you ever choose pride over morality?
Yes 4 57.14%
no 3 42.86%
dont know 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 AM

18,269 posts, read 2,586,217 times
Default Do you ever take pride over morality?

hello,

i was thinking of this earlier. a few days ago i had to go to a food pantry and get food because of these hard economic times and when i got home and was unloading the food that was given to me one of my neighbors came up to me and asked where i got the food and for a second i panicked because i didnt want to lie but i also didnt want to be embarrassed so i just said i went to Krogers and after i said that i felt a little down for awhile because i hardly ever lie. but i didnt want my pride to be dented has something like this ever happened to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,245,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
hello,

i was thinking of this earlier. a few days ago i had to go to a food pantry and get food because of these hard economic times and when i got home and was unloading the food that was given to me one of my neighbors came up to me and asked where i got the food and for a second i panicked because i didnt want to lie but i also didnt want to be embarrassed so i just said i went to Krogers and after i said that i felt a little down for awhile because i hardly ever lie. but i didnt want my pride to be dented has something like this ever happened to you
I am just curious why in the world would one of your neighbors even come up and ask you where you got the food.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM

18,269 posts, read 2,586,217 times
the church that gave the food out is supplied with some foods that arent found in stores. and some of the food i had was really good and i guess that person had had that food before and was wondering where i got it or something.

i thought that was weird to. i was like why is he asking me this?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
the church that gave the food out is supplied with some foods that arent found in stores. and some of the food i had was really good and i guess that person had had that food before and was wondering where i got it or something.

i thought that was weird to. i was like why is he asking me this?
Yeah, lol.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,230,845 times
Default Neither

Quote:
Quote:
hello,

As a believer(Christian);
The word of God has instructed us on how to handle affairs in this "world"
Pride is at the top of the list
the rest is in the book
In a hurry so , I wasn't able to answer as thoroughly as I like
my $.02 cents anyways
God Bless You

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,070,482 times
I would hope I would have had the presence of mind to ask " why do you ask?".

I had a snoopy neighbor like that once. One time when he asked me what I had in a sack that I had just brought home, I said "Something to make spoopy neighbors ask questions". That was after he kept bugging me everytime I went some where, and every time I came back home.

So, I would prefer to answer in that manner, than to lie.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM

I would say "Nunya" i.e. Nun ya business.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,236,093 times
Sometimes if you share your struggles you find they have struggles also. Now I realize sometimes it is just a neighbor being rude. But what if they were moved with compasion and wanted to help in some way. You might give someone an opportunity to serve.
I look on the bright side I guess..LOL

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,070,482 times
My neighbor was not known to be helpful. When I'd come out of our house and head for our car, he would say," where you goin' 'Murry" ? That is how he pronounced my name.)

When I'd come back from being gone awhile, he'd ask , " Where you been...to Jackpot? " Just a nosy old coot. He wasn't lonely. He had a large family all around the small town.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Sometimes if you share your struggles you find they have struggles also. Now I realize sometimes it is just a neighbor being rude. But what if they were moved with compasion and wanted to help in some way. You might give someone an opportunity to serve.
I look on the bright side I guess..LOL
Well, I don't know what the whole story is behind this unless the neighbor knew there was some hardship or something then you are right. But for a neighbor just to walk up out of the blue and say where did you get your groceries, that is pretty odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity