Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

Goliath, Anakim, Nephilem, sons of the giants, etc. Got to thinking about this the other day when I saw a guy downtown who had to be at least 7' tall ...towering WAY over my wimpy 5'6" (LOL!)
Anyone who reads the Bible soon learns there once were giants walking the earth: men of huge, immense stature.
Well, I stumbled across this website that contains hundreds of links to giantism, from pre-historic times to the present:

Giants the Bible and Enoch

A cautionary warning: some of the pictures are downright repulsive, and turned my stomach. (view with discretion) The entire left-side of the page is filled with links. (try clicking on some of the "Giant Pics"). I'm not saying they are all genuine...I just don't know...my guess is probably several are fake...bogus, but still...
Although a fascinating subject, it is at the same time revolting...I can see why God wanted them wiped out...Yech!

The trend nowadays seems to be that people are gradually getting taller and taller. Hmmm...

So....who were they? Where did they come from? How did they come into being? How long were they on earth? Were they a race of non-adamic origin? If not a single one ever made it to heaven, does this mean they were of demonic origin? (my guess is they were) Another link claims that their spirits are the demons that plague the earth today. Are they?
All that I have ever read about giants indicates they were enemies of God...none of them in the Bible have been described as "friendly", on good terms with God...

Your thoughts?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 04:52 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Giants the Bible and Enoch

A cautionary warning: some of the pictures are downright repulsive, and turned my stomach. (view with discretion) The entire left-side of the page is filled with links. (try clicking on some of the "Giant Pics"). I'm not saying they are all genuine...I just don't know...my guess is probably several are fake...bogus, but still...
I seem to remember reading years ago that the Fomorian is definitely a hoax. And the one pic of the Englishman standing between the two tall, dark dudes --- honestly, the Englishman looks REALLY short. Check out his body proportions. Wouldn’t surprise me if he topped out at 5 feet. That would still make the gentlemen flanking him very tall, but hardly giants.

Quote:
So....who were they?
One of the great mysteries of the Bible. No one is really sure exactly how “Nephilim” is supposed to translate. The Anakim, if I remember correctly, were simply “the sons of Anak.” Who was Anak? Who knows?

Explanations I’ve read over the years:

1.) Simply a race of large humans who have died out.

2.) The offspring of demon and human coupling.

3.) A “cousin” race to modern humans, perhaps Neanderthals or Australopitheci. (One must note that although Neanderthals were probably heavier than modern humans, most were, in fact, shorter.) Strict creationists who have no room for evolution or the fossil record in their philosophy tend to dislike this hypothesis.

4.) People who suffered from giantism.

5.) Shaquille O’Neal has a time machine, and he’s going back to ancient times to mess with our heads.

Quote:
All that I have ever read about giants indicates they were enemies of God...none of them in the Bible have been described as "friendly", on good terms with God...
Keep in mind though: Most non-Hebrew folks in the Old Testament didn’t come across too well. If the Nephilim were in any way human, they had souls and free will and were thus capable of repentance and redemption.

Most human cultures have ancient stories of giants (just like they all have stories of the Flood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity