Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think it's hubris to think one would know what Jesus would actually do.
We know what He would do based on what the Bible says and what He said. We also know what He would do because He stated that He does the will of the Father. If one reads the entire Bible, we pretty much know how God feels about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crowley View Post
In the book of Leviticus....I'm not near a Bible, so I can't tell you the exact verse, but it says "if a man lies with a man the way he would with a woman, they have committed a detestable act, they shall surely be put to death". Since Jesus was God in the flesh, this answers the question.
This is what I was going to post. He would not support gay marriage but as far as banning it? I can't answer that but I know that God says one sin is as bad as another; that sin is sin and we can't say our sin is lesser than someone else's. He also says "...your ways are not My ways..." so in our limited understanding we don't fully comprehend His reasoning--yet--especially as to why one sin is as bad as another.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
This is yet again a misinterpretation of the Bible. Jesus was the son of God, not God in the flesh. Or better yet, he was God in the flesh but so am I. We all are. Jesus recognizes that fact and in fact tells people not to worship him, worship the Father. Modern Christianity has turned Jesus into God and may in a way be worshiping another in the place of God. The book says Jesus is our savior, and that we should repent in his name. But worship belongs to God. And who knows, maybe Jesus would have responded to the issue in the way you describe. But to speak for Jesus is blasphemy, for he is not here to answer for himself.
Jesus WAS God in the flesh and He is to be worshiped. Are you Mormon?

Preterist

Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall be one flesh" (Gen. 2:24). They were to be fruitful and multiply.

Preterist

Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall be one flesh" (Gen. 2:24). They were to be fruitful and multiply.

Preterist
I think most of us agree that we know this much. The question was, would Jesus ban gay marriage? The reason I say I don't know is, as I stated, God says one sin is as bad as another, therefore, if Jesus were to ban one sin, why would he not ban them all rather than just tell us not to sin? I think this is where free will comes in. Make your choice but know the consequences.

Then again, I could be wrong. Murder and stealing are sins too but those are banned--so to speak. I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere. This is one of those topics that will never really be resolved in this life but by each individual.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I think most of us agree that we know this much. The question was, would Jesus ban gay marriage? The reason I say I don't know is, as I stated, God says one sin is as bad as another, therefore, if Jesus were to ban one sin, why would he not ban them all rather than just tell us not to sin? I think this is where free will comes in. Make your choice but know the consequences.

Then again, I could be wrong. Murder and stealing are sins too but those are banned--so to speak. I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere. This is one of those topics that will never really be resolved in this life but by each individual.
Jesus preached the kingdom and in that kingdom there will be no homosexual or fornicator (or thief, or murderer, etc.). Jesus would certainly support any laws that attempt to restrain sinful behavior but His main concern was for the condition of the heart. Anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her, is an adulterer. Anyone who has sex outside of marriage (or fantasizes doing so) is a fornicator. Anyone who has sexual relationships with those of the same sex (or thinks in his heart to do so) is guilty of homosexuality.

Many of our moral laws come straight from the Bible. Therefore, any law that attempts to enforce outward adherence to those precepts of the moral code of God would not find disfavor with Jesus. But only God can look upon the heart.

God also established as I quoted from Genesis 2:24 that marriage is between a man and a woman. Society cannot control what people do behind their closed doors, but I believe Jesus would be in favor of society's banning the acceptance of such behavior through the issuances of marriage certificates to those who do not quality in the eyes of God as marriage partners. By giving certificates of marriage to those of the same sex, we are giving approval to sinful behavior which Jesus would condemn.

Preterist

Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM

321 posts, read 679,528 times
Um...Jesus nor his daddy never said a word about banning slavery, of all things, and we expect he would ban gay marriage?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
Marriage was the first institution that God created.

For us to change it to what we want would be the biggest (smack in the face) to God.

Marriage was created by God, and not only does He forbid it btwn the same sex...He would punish those who know His commandments, and tries to pervert it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Um...Jesus nor his daddy never said a word about banning slavery, of all things, and we expect he would ban gay marriage?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 PM

321 posts, read 679,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Marriage was the first institution that God created.

For us to change it to what we want would be the biggest (smack in the face) to God.

Marriage was created by God, and not only does He forbid it btwn the same sex...He would punish those who know His commandments, and tries to pervert it
You quoted me so I take it your response was to me???

Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
It sure looks like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
You quoted me so I take it your response was to me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity