Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times

Advertisements

Do you go to church to worship God or do you go to church because you believe their doctrine? Is is OK to go to a church if you do not believe in some of their doctrine but go because you are worshipping God or is it best to go to a church because you believe in their doctrine?

(If this is not in the right forum, please feel free to move this thread. Thanks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
I assemble with the church for both of those reasons. I would not feel I was worshiping God in truth and in spirit if they taught a differant doctrine.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I assemble with the church for both of those reasons. I would not feel I was worshiping God in truth and in spirit if they taught a differant doctrine.
I understand that. I am having a problem though because I cannot find a church that believes in the things I believe and have read in the Bible. Some churches believe in some of the things and other churches believe in other things I believe. Maybe it is just me.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by PG77
Quote:
Is is OK to go to a church if you do not believe in some of their doctrine but go because you are worshipping God or is it best to go to a church because you believe in their doctrine?
I worship God by being me; by choosing to be like Jesus.
I see no need to confine my worship of God to a building, nor do I feel the need to only worship God in the presence of like minded people.

Whenever a doctrine requires the acceptance of a dogma, I choose to drop the doctrine. Dogma's are for me what straightjackets are for 'normal' people: unnecessary and restrictive.
So far my (personal) philosophy of following Jesus has never required me to accept a dogma.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
I think it would be hard to find a church where you agree with 100% of their doctrine and decisions. I would hope most would find a place where they agree with almost all of it.
I go to worship...and build good Christian friendships.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
I believe in the Triune God and I go to church to worship God,I am not at church to be entertained ,but to listen to the word of God and learn from scripture. Our entire focus should be on God and to put Him first in our life

Our doctrine is printed in our church bulletin at every Sunday service so visitors are aware of our beliefs.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:25 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
If a person feels compelled to find a place to meet with other christian/believers then I feel he should persue that..That is what I am doing now..I dropped out of religion with its building, mortgages, bonds, rituals, rules, entertainment, paid, seminary educated human leaders several years ago..There is a tendency for some to be seeking the way the early church met in homes and were taught by the apostles that the only "head"of the meeting was Christ and that we were ALL to share with each other our gifts given to us by the holy spirti to praise, uplift, teach, etc each other and God..
On the other hand, if a person feels more comfortable in an organized setting within a "Church building" that is where he should go..

Added is my usual disclaimer that all the above is just my opinion

Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM

188 posts, read 506,663 times
I do not attend a church either, but I do study doctrine very intensely. Does that count?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Do you go to church to worship God or do you go to church because you believe their doctrine? Is is OK to go to a church if you do not believe in some of their doctrine but go because you are worshipping God or is it best to go to a church because you believe in their doctrine?

(If this is not in the right forum, please feel free to move this thread. Thanks.)
Right-headed doctrine must precede the lifestyle practice of worship, Brother. In other words, to worship God in spirit/truth we must have our information about Him correct.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:48 PM

285 posts, read 535,571 times
Church is doctrine, and going to worship or what ever is all doctrine a dogma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity