U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:57 AM
 
3,761 posts, read 5,073,725 times
Reputation: 819
Default The Lutheran Church

Can someone tell me the differences between the Catholic Church and the Lutheran Church?
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 3,865,236 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Can someone tell me the differences between the Catholic Church and the Lutheran Church?

I'm not lutheran expert, but I don't think they adhere to the doctrine of transubstantiation.

I was invited to attend a lutheran church years ago. They were celebrating "communion", and as a Catholic I was distressed with the way they handled the bread. Even if they just believed it "represented" Christ's body, they could have handled it a little more respectfully.

I did not partake.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
 
3,761 posts, read 5,073,725 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm not lutheran expert, but I don't think they adhere to the doctrine of transubstantiation.

I was invited to attend a lutheran church years ago. They were celebrating "communion", and as a Catholic I was distressed with the way they handled the bread. Even if they just believed it "represented" Christ's body, they could have handled it a little more respectfully.

I did not partake.
So are you saying that they did not represent the elements of bread and wine as Christ's body and blood?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 3,865,236 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
So are you saying that they did not represent the elements of bread and wine as Christ's body and blood?

I don't think they believe, as we papists do, that there were in fact, Christ's body and blood.

But if they believe only that they "represent" Christs body and blood, they treated them like twinkees and fruit punch
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the middle
600 posts, read 782,709 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Can someone tell me the differences between the Catholic Church and the Lutheran Church?
My inlaws are Lutheran and my dh was raised in the Lutheran church. Oakback is right, they don't believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation (wow, that's a big word ) but yet do believe that the body of Christ is present in the wine and the bread (almost like it's half and half, I know that sounds strange, but that's always the way it came across to me). They practice infant baptism, children are confirmed when they're in 8th grade. They have a liturgical type service. To tell you the truth, I don't see much of a difference between the Catholic and Lutheran faiths, but that's just my opinion as I am outside observer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 3,865,236 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
My inlaws are Lutheran and my dh was raised in the Lutheran church. Oakback is right, they don't believe in the doctrine of transubstantiation (wow, that's a big word ) but yet do believe that the body of Christ is present in the wine and the bread (almost like it's half and half, I know that sounds strange, but that's always the way it came across to me). They practice infant baptism, children are confirmed when they're in 8th grade. They have a liturgical type service. To tell you the truth, I don't see much of a difference between the Catholic and Lutheran faiths, but that's just my opinion as I am outside observer.

There's a huge difference.
But I really don't want to go there
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:27 AM
 
3,761 posts, read 5,073,725 times
Reputation: 819
I went to the Lutheran Church as a little girl and I mean like 5 or 6 years old and the only thing I remember is being sprinkled. I knew they had branched off of the Catholic Church but was curious as to the reasons why, what they believed, etc. I am reading about them on Wikipedia now. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Many Lutherans also preserve a liturgical approach to the celebration of Communion (or the Lord's Supper), emphasizing the sacrament as the central act of Christian worship. Lutherans believe that Jesus' actual body and blood are present in, with and under the bread and the wine. This belief is called Real Presence or Sacramental Union and is different from consubstantiation and transubstantiation. Additionally Lutherans reject the idea that communion is a mere symbol or memorial. They confess in the Apology of the Augsburg Confession.

I don't understand how it is different from transubstantiation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 3,865,236 times
Reputation: 938
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:10 AM
 
3,761 posts, read 5,073,725 times
Reputation: 819
Seems pretty close to me, but then I am not the sharpest tool in the shed either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 3,865,236 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Seems pretty close to me, but then I am not the sharpest tool in the shed either.

You may be right. I'm no einstein either
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top