Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you go to church to worship God or do you go to church because you believe their doctrine?
My body is my temple, I worship the God within, love is my doctrine

I do go to the temple to listen the word of God, and the interpretations of my guru that extract the real meaning of the sacred scriptures from Christianity and India, we then meditate on them in silence, in our inner temples

Quote:
Is is OK to go to a church if you do not believe in some of their doctrine but go because you are worshipping God or is it best to go to a church because you believe in their doctrine?
In the case I don't believe some of their doctrine, I prefer to worship god in the temple of silence, I chose my path because I agree 100% with it, I wouldn't call it doctrine, because for me doctrine equates dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
No matter how long, and how loud, you proclaim your love for Christ, if you do not love His body, the church, enough to assemble with them, you are deceiving yourselves.
Marian

I think CelticLady1 had this statement of yours in mind, and I took it the way she did.

What I thought you were saying was:- Even if you say you love Christ, you do not if you do not assemble with an assembly of believers aka "the church". The church being some kind of denominational entity that uses the bible as the base of their assembly, within that assembly (church) are some who follow christ, some who follow the scriptures and some who are assembling because that is what you are meant to do to be a christian.

I love Christ, he is my saviour and lord and not only my saviour but the saviour of the world. At this time I do not assemble with a local assembly of people who profess to love my lord and saviour. Does this mean I am not a christian? I am however a believer and follower of Christ.

When I look around at all the different denominations it is mind boggling, I don't want to get the baptist or catholic or anglican or pentecostal, Mormon, JW, ..... etc interpretation of the truth - I want the truth from Christ and the scriptures. I am not saying that I don't love the people in those denominations, but it is just that there is such a diversity of rules, regulations and rites on how to be a "good christian".

I will draw near to Christ.

The greatest commandment Love God with your whole heart, mind, body - the second love your neighbour as yourself.

I have looked at the word used in Hebrews 10:25 episunagōgē. It is only used twice in the NT and this word is different from the word sunagoge which means assembly.

It is used in 2 Th 2:1 when referring to what futurists say is the rapture 2Th 2:1 ¶ Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,

episunagōgē
ep-ee-soon-ag-o-gay'
From G1996; a complete collection; specifically a Christian meeting (for worship): - assembling (gathering) together.

sunagōgē
soon-ag-o-gay'
From (the reduplicated form of) G4863; an assemblage of persons; specifically a Jewish “synagogue” (the meeting or the place); by analogy a Christian church: - assembly, congregation, synagogue.

Hbr 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Talking about believers encouraging each other

Hbr 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

(one another has been added)

Talking about drawing near to Christ

Exhorting G3870
παρακαλέω
parakaleō
par-ak-al-eh'-o
From G3844 and G2564; to call near, that is, invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation): - beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort (-ation), intreat, pray.

- I think this exhorting is part of the drawing near to Christ in prayer

Reconciliation to God (salvation from his wrath) is in Christ not in the assembling of people together.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 07-20-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Celtic (lady???), I said what I said not because I am judging, but because what the word of God says. His word is what will be doing the judging.
And your attitude about what others think is certainly contrary to His word !
I do not have time to post pertinent scriptures ( although I am sure you are not interested in scriptures). It is time for us to leave for our assembly with those of like precious faith.
I challenged what you said in your earlier post; I did not attack you, personally, so your not-so-subtle shot, [Celtic (lady???)], though nicely done, and well-timed, was most unnecessary, and entirely pointless.

I will not make much of your comment that I am not interested in scriptures, other than to say that I am amazed at your seeming ability to know so much about me.

It is not my place to make judgments/statements about others, merely because they do not go to church/assembly, the same courtesy that I expect, (though it frequently does appear to be too much of an expectation). I made it clear, in my previous post, that I could be mistaken about your meaning, (and apologized, if I was), and asked for clarification on your statement: "No matter how long, and how loud, you proclaim your love for Christ, if you do not love his body, the church, enough to assemble with them, you are deceiving yourselves". Instead, what I got was a tired platitude that it is not you doing the judging; it is God's word, a convenient argument that many people hide behind.

Personally, I believe it is best to allow God to do his own job, and not try to help him out, by making what can be construed as hurtful remarks, to those who may already be wrestling with a spiritual crisis. So, if this, (as well as my apparent offense of not caring what other people think of me), all qualifies me as someone with an attitude, then, "I'm your huckleberry", as the saying goes.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 07-20-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Do you go to church to worship God or do you go to church because you believe their doctrine? Is is OK to go to a church if you do not believe in some of their doctrine but go because you are worshipping God or is it best to go to a church because you believe in their doctrine?

(If this is not in the right forum, please feel free to move this thread. Thanks.)
If you had to believe in all of the doctrines to go to Church I think many churches would be very empty. So yes I would say it's OK.
I wouldn't worry what someone else may think. Although myself I would try to find a church that I feel more confortable in. Even within a particular denomination/faith there can be a different feel between two churches.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Celtic, I didn't say this:

(quote) and I don't give a rat's backside whether anyone else likes it or not, because it is no one's business but mine, and God's. (quote)

You did. That is the attitude that I was referring to. I do not know of any "lady" who speaks in such a manner, but maybe 'lady' has a differant meaning than the word in the dictionaries ?

Since you are so offended by the quoting of God's word, there does not seem to be anything to gain by pointing out what the word says about one's attitude about what others think.

Apparently the 'God' you speak of, is not the one found in the Holy Scriptures.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 PM

188 posts, read 506,706 times
Marian, what religion are you?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 PM

188 posts, read 506,706 times
And might I remind you Mirian, your accusations of people whom you don't even know displays a type of errogance that you should be aware of. As a matter of fact, you are not displaying yourself in a Christian manner and I do not believe that your tone would come across as welcoming to anyone. And if you should follow up such statement by claiming you are only saying what the Bible says, I would hesitate to tell you that you are seriously mistaken. You are quite cocky, my friend, and some day, someone may possibly make quite the same fool of you as you are attempting to make of others. To tell people they are fooling themselves, or that they are not interested in scriptures, or that they do not speak like a lady is almost laughable considering your desparate need for attention, whether bad or good, much like that of a lonely dog. It's quite transparent actually, and if one views your statements from a comical standpoint, they are remarkably humorous. Weak, yet humorous.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Celtic, I didn't say this:

(quote) and I don't give a rat's backside whether anyone else likes it or not, because it is no one's business but mine, and God's. (quote)

You did. That is the attitude that I was referring to. I do not know of any "lady" who speaks in such a manner, but maybe 'lady' has a differant meaning than the word in the dictionaries ?

Since you are so offended by the quoting of God's word, there does not seem to be anything to gain by pointing out what the word says about one's attitude about what others think.

Apparently the 'God' you speak of, is not the one found in the Holy Scriptures.
I know precisely what I said, and I make no apology for it, though I didn't realize that speaking of a rat's backside was grounds for someone being considered unladylike, which I find patently silly. Would you have preferred if I had said, in very ladylike tones, that I didn't care what others think of me? Is speaking of a rat's anatomy really that offensive? My point, which apparently was too subtle, and thereby you missed it, was that it was entirely useless to the discussion at hand, to make such a nonsensical remark. It served no purpose, and had nothing to say, other than your opinion of my character. But, I must say, you'll have to do better than that, if you are going to resort to insults. If you think that I am not a lady, that's your privilege, but, we both know that it is the fact that I don't hold with your position that really offends you.

Now, once more, to the subject at hand. I do hate to continue to repeat myself, but, I find it odd that you have no problem with judging others' relationship with God, based on whether, or not, they are sitting in a pew, particularly when you do not know their circumstances. Even if you feel that this is a holy and righteous attitude, entirely in line with God, is it your place to potentially hurt others, as I have been saying repeatedly, by telling them so? Has God given you his "right-hand man" slot? What is so hard to understand about not judging others for not attending church/assembly, when, again, you do not know the reasons?

I have never said anything to the effect that I was "offended by the quoting of God's word", so perhaps you would be better served not to put words in my mouth. One more time, for those who missed it, this is what you said, (and I do not see one Bible verse in the entire sentence, even if the interpretation could be agreed upon): "no matter how long, and how loud, you proclaim your love for Christ, if you do not love his body, the church, enough to assemble with them, you are deceiving yourselves". I have given you every chance to explain this, thinking that perhaps, (as I have said, repeatedly), I was misunderstanding you. It is now entirely clear to me, that you feel justified in making judgements about others, when they are not in the church.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 07-20-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
By their fruits you shall know them.

Matthew 7. 13-20
13. Enter by the narrow gate;for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.
14. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
15. Beware of false prophets,who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenibg wolves.
16.You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?
17.Even so,every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit,nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
19. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20.Therefore by their fruits you shall know them.

All of the above was said by Jesus. Was He exhibiting rudeness when he said this? And how about;

But He turned and said to Peter, " Get behind Me Satan! " Matthew 16.23

or:
" O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you?" Matthew 17.17

or:
" Woe unto you , scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!" Matthew 23.13, 14, 13,27, and 29
23.16 "Woe to you, blind guides,"
17 and 19. "Fools and blind!"
verse 28 " Even so you also appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."
verse 33 "Serpents, brood of vipers!'

It seems to me that when you are judging me to be too arrogogant, you must be saying the same about Jesus. It is a well known fact that many were offended by His sayings, and they still are.

I find the accusations towards me as being just as unfounded as you think mine are towards you. Neither of you know me, anymore than I know you. All we know is what the other person says and has been saying all along.
The insinuation that I am a "lonely dog", and in "desparate need of attention", are IMO pretty rude, since I am a 75 year old wife of an 82 year old man who is pretty much confined to home....but then, perhaps I am 'lonely'. I don't get out much.

I suspect we all will be deleted because we all have gotten off the OP.

My humble appologies to PG77 ....

Last edited by Towhee; 07-21-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I guess Jesus finds worship more important than doctrine, since he kept aggravating the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law who are experts in the Law of Moses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity