Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post
No matter what your religion is, you may find yourself debating that yours is correct and others are not
I don't find myself entering many debates about religion simply because I have no "religion"..I gave up religion years ago and turned to the holy spirit of god/creator that is within me..I see no reason to debate one groups doctrines, rituals, etc over anothers..That would seem to take precious time away from knowing God and practicing his commandment and teachings so that others may see him in me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Faith, unless tested by doubt, is nothing. All the great members of the church had their faith tested.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
This reminds me of a quote I once read, though I don't know who said it. "Remember, whatever your religion, most of the world disagrees with you".

Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This reminds me of a quote I once read, though I don't know who said it. "Remember, whatever your religion, most of the world disagrees with you".

That us a good quote and very true people of the same religion are going to may even se some things a little differently then the next.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I don't find myself entering many debates about religion simply because I have no "religion"..I gave up religion years ago and turned to the holy spirit of god/creator that is within me..I see no reason to debate one groups doctrines, rituals, etc over anothers..That would seem to take precious time away from knowing God and practicing his commandment and teachings so that others may see him in me...
Blue, I hope to someday grow up to be just like you. I'm afraid I still occasionally allow my hasty temper to get me into debates that I would be better off ignoring. I just find it so darn hard not to get extremely provoked, when I feel someone is trying to prod me.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Bravo

I am the same. The word religion is derived from the olde French word relegare which literally means to bind up aka religion = bondage and IMO all place 'heavies' on folk. I am at peace now not having to measure up, perform by regular attendance and all the other paraphernalia that goes along with a man-made system. I can be myself - weaknesses and all and know that the Father still loves me in spite of my shortcomings. Does that mean I go out of my way to be bad? No, most certainly NOT.

My single biggest disappointment in this life so far has been the church and believe me I was heavily involved.

Jesus' yoke is easy and His burden light and like He said it: "whom the Son sets free is FREE INDEED."

Blessings

Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,002 times
The real question is, how does a sheep know they hear his voice speaking?
Romans 10 says faith cometh by hearing and hearing come by the Word of God.
John 10 says his sheep hears his voice and follow the real shepherd not just God our heavenly shepherd but a real shepherd in earthly leadership too.
Since they hear the Word which is the voice of God then their discerning to know a real shepherd with the Word as it pertains to any bible verse or any bible topic.
You can't know a real shepherd going by whether people ever perfect.
Proverbs says a good man falls 7 times.
Nobody a total bible expert but Jesus (1 Corinthians 8:2) but real sheep obviously have to be a bible expert enough to follow the right ministry.
Otherwise they in trouble with Matthew 15:14.

Quote:
No matter what your religion is, you may find yourself debating that yours is correct and others are wrong.

Do you ever consider, while in debate with someone of another religion, that once all of God's chosen ones are in heaven, the truth will be revealed to man who was right after all? Considering that so many Christians find themselves trying to "prove their points" to other Christians, truly believing that they are justified in the Lord for their beliefs, is it no wonder that together, collectively, Christianity is considered "the body of Christ"?

Consider the fact that Pentecostals and Catholics believe differently, and that Presbyterians and Universalists believe differently, and that Baptists and Methodists believe differently, etc, etc....

....though each one would be given different gifts, (as stated in the Bible), and so many of us interpret scriptures differently, believing wholeheartedly that we have truth from the Word, is it so far fetched to assume that there is not a particular "right religion", but rather that God would put such a weighty decision on His children's shoulders for the purpose of keeping His children close to Him seeking truth? Perhaps it's all for a reason?

I do not submit that "as long as you're a good person you'll go to heaven". This question would be classified as a bit deeper as to your understanding of the Body of Christ, and what you think it means when it says that all truth will be revealed in heaven? I know I am sure of this, but sadly, I do not have the scripture off the top of my head. Does anyone know where in the Bible this is?

What are your thoughts?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM

188 posts, read 506,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Blue, I hope to someday grow up to be just like you. I'm afraid I still occasionally allow my hasty temper to get me into debates that I would be better off ignoring. I just find it so darn hard not to get extremely provoked, when I feel someone is trying to prod me.
Just remember "who" could be behind it. Don't hate the person. Hate who is behind it, and use sound judgement. Works for me. I have to remind myself of this all the time. Sometimes the enemy can distort our reasoning, and make us think we are justified in speaking a certain way to someone, and while we may be justified at times, it seems that it only stirs up more contentions and divisions, and overall negative feelings, and as Christians, we all know who's got his hand in the cookie jar when that happens (anger and negativity). I fight this battle often, so I am not exempt from the rule, and it helps to remind myself as much as possible who I'm really fighting against.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:41 PM

41 posts, read 81,709 times
Default 2 out of 5 million walked into the promised land.

Quote:
No matter what your religion is, you may find yourself debating that yours is correct and others are wrong.

Do you ever consider, while in debate with someone of another religion, that once all of God's chosen ones are in heaven, the truth will be revealed to man who was right after all? Considering that so many Christians find themselves trying to "prove their points" to other Christians, truly believing that they are justified in the Lord for their beliefs, is it no wonder that together, collectively, Christianity is considered "the body of Christ"?

What are your thoughts?
Religion is man made, the Doctrine of demons and traditions of men.
Come out from among them.

5 million Hebrews, Jews came out of Egypt, out of the religions of men by God's hand. only two of those who first came out, with God all over them all day for 40 years they all perished for disobedience only two walked in.

9 million burned in the fire 6 million Jews who thought they were perfect, in peace, knowing Him, thinking they served the true God.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
(II Corinthians 6:17)

II Corinthians
6 1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. 2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) 3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: 4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, 5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; 6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, 7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; 9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; 10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. 11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. 12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. 13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged. 14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe the Bible, Jesus said He is the truth..
If I wrote a book and said that I am the truth would you worship me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity