Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 PM

188 posts, read 504,934 times

Advertisements

No matter what your religion is, you may find yourself debating that yours is correct and others are wrong.

Do you ever consider, while in debate with someone of another religion, that once all of God's chosen ones are in heaven, the truth will be revealed to man who was right after all? Considering that so many Christians find themselves trying to "prove their points" to other Christians, truly believing that they are justified in the Lord for their beliefs, is it no wonder that together, collectively, Christianity is considered "the body of Christ"?

Consider the fact that Pentecostals and Catholics believe differently, and that Presbyterians and Universalists believe differently, and that Baptists and Methodists believe differently, etc, etc....

....though each one would be given different gifts, (as stated in the Bible), and so many of us interpret scriptures differently, believing wholeheartedly that we have truth from the Word, is it so far fetched to assume that there is not a particular "right religion", but rather that God would put such a weighty decision on His children's shoulders for the purpose of keeping His children close to Him seeking truth? Perhaps it's all for a reason?

I do not submit that "as long as you're a good person you'll go to heaven". This question would be classified as a bit deeper as to your understanding of the Body of Christ, and what you think it means when it says that all truth will be revealed in heaven? I know I am sure of this, but sadly, I do not have the scripture off the top of my head. Does anyone know where in the Bible this is?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 AM

756 posts, read 2,568,330 times
there is only One Truth...Jesus

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
I think I have something in my eye, wink, wink...................

(angels singing..................)

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,838,251 times
How do I know? I just do! Church history reveals a lot!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
How do I know? I just do! Church history reveals a lot!
Yes, but I wondered what you thought about the rest of what it said in my post?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,403,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post
No matter what your religion is, you may find yourself debating that yours is correct and others are wrong.
Not really

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ways-many.html

Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,566,823 times
Yeah, I said something along the lines of "maybe the differences and debating, interpretation and misinterpretations, etc. are God's way to keep up talking about it and that the Bible is vague for this very reason".......but, of course, that is too simple of an idea for anyone to accept.

I think it is what it is.....human nature.

But like the old Sunday school song goes...................

I know I am correct in what I believe BECAUSE:

...."the Bible tells me so"..............

Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,768,669 times
I don't feel a need to debate my views. I'm opening to learning more and sharing with others who are willing to give the same. Like Trav's thread, there are other paths, there is no right or wrong way.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
Yes I agree, I don't do religion, I believe the Bible, Jesus said He is the truth. I go to a Baptist church because I believe the Baptist faith is in agreement with the Bible more than any other denomination.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,253,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post

Do you ever consider, while in debate with someone of another religion, that once all of God's chosen ones are in heaven, the truth will be revealed to man who was right after all? Considering that so many Christians find themselves trying to "prove their points" to other Christians, truly believing that they are justified in the Lord for their beliefs, is it no wonder that together, collectively, Christianity is considered "the body of Christ"?

Consider the fact that Pentecostals and Catholics believe differently, and that Presbyterians and Universalists believe differently, and that Baptists and Methodists believe differently, etc, etc....

....though each one would be given different gifts, (as stated in the Bible), and so many of us interpret scriptures differently, believing wholeheartedly that we have truth from the Word, is it so far fetched to assume that there is not a particular "right religion", but rather that God would put such a weighty decision on His children's shoulders for the purpose of keeping His children close to Him seeking truth? Perhaps it's all for a reason?
I understand your point, Reformed.. and altho I see where you are coming from, I don't quite agree. To explain:

I do believe that there are many saved people in Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc etc churches.. but I don't see this disunity as being the exercising of different gifts. Disunity is not part of God's plan.. it is a result of mankind's frailty & pride.

The bottom line.. there is only one Truth. Does this mean that I need to belong to a church that teaches and practices the whole Truth to be saved? No.. but while such a church may bring many to the Lord and do much good, she will not have the power and unity that is available if she is not pure and undefiled.

EDIT: On this board, we've discussed many times the term "True Christian". How can you tell if someone is a "true Christian"? By their fruits, and the obvious abiding presence and clear direction of the Holy Spirit .. not that they are perfect.. but if they fail, a willingness to repent and forsake sin. That is how you would also be able to discern the true New Testament Church.. to repeat: by her fruits, and the obvious abiding presence and clear direction of the Holy Spirit. Not by name, not by denomination, but by fruit. Just as we can not trust in our church membership or good deeds as proof that we are a true Christian, so we can not trust in our denomination, church history, percentage of universal acceptance, etc, to tell us that we are the True Church. The fruit does not lie!

Last edited by cg81; 07-21-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity