U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 PM

25,279 posts, read 27,422,500 times

Advertisements

Best piece of advice I ever received?

"Never join a church with a gymnasium. It means the congregation's heart is in the wrong place."

Okay. So you know where I stand on things. However, I would like to hear your thoughts. Just the other day in my city, a large Baptist church opened the doors to a ultra modern gymnasium that cost millions, except they called it the "Christian Life Center."

Now, in my humble world view, a church should be using that money to help feed, educate, and otherwise tend to the needy, not spend it for a place to have pickup basketball games and take aerobics classes. So the millions spent to build this facility could have been spent on pressing needs in our community.

I certainly understand the notion that the church provides a Christian community for its congregation, but I'm not really swayed by that. My church has a strong and growing congregation without a jogging track, a weight room, or pool tables.

So how do you reconcile a large recreational center with Christ's message of humble service to those in need? Convince me, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,705,906 times
Depends on what all its used for, the biggest church in my area does had a gym. It uses the gym for Welcome to Upward.org that reaches out to the community thru sports,( I was a part of upwards for 2 years) a for example..the kids learn about Jesus during the last 15 minutes of practice. they have a memory verse, they pray.
Also the gym is used for VBS, it serves as a soup-kitchen so to speak to feed those in need. I cant speak for any but this one..but thats what some of the uses are for this one.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,716,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Depends on what all its used for, the biggest church in my area does had a gym. It uses the gym for Welcome to Upward.org that reaches out to the community thru sports,( I was a part of upwards for 2 years) a for example..the kids learn about Jesus during the last 15 minutes of practice. they have a memory verse, they pray.
Also the gym is used for VBS, it serves as a soup-kitchen so to speak to feed those in need. I cant speak for any but this one..but thats what some of the uses are for this one.
I agree.

I guess the question would be:

Is this facility a tool or toy?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,946,151 times
I belong to a Catholic Church... it HAD a Catholic School that our Bishop just closed this year (very sad thing for our parish) so, now we have a vacant school with a gym... just another way the diocese misused its financial power and was then "forced" to closed a ton of schools because of it- sorry off topic rant....the school will be used for religious education from now on and a teen rec center- gym for youth group... so, I don't see why the gym is a big deal in that situation... can't really get rid of it now can they?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,055,725 times
Our church is in the process of expanding which eventually would include a gym to attract the younger folks. Personally, I am not in favor of the megachurch atmosphere as I believe it detracts from a lot of aspects of the church experience. Here in the Bronx, I have to wonder if this might attract the wrong types of people who would want to come in and stir things up, IYKWIM. However, I simply have to lift it up to the Lord and let Him determine between the pastor and Himself as to what is the best direction for our church and for my wife and I to decide what to do with it when it does happen.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 4,070,744 times
The Church was never meant to be attractive to the World.

A light, yes.. attracting the cry of mankind in darkness, but not appealing to fleshly interests.

EDIT: I'm not saying a gym is wrong.. but I think if the focus is "uniting with the world" rather than "keeping separate from the world".. then what finally is the church? Purity, not numbers, is what God is concerned about.

Last edited by cg81; 07-25-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Additional thought.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,089,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I agree.

I guess the question would be:

Is this facility a tool or toy?
Totally agree. I have belonged to any number of churches growing up (we moved alot) that had been built end of the 19th/ beginning of the 20th century. Nearly all had gyms. They were used for the youth in the community to have a safe place to play. Many also had stages. They were also used for various ceremonies and pagents, potluck suppers, shelters for the homeless, soup kitchens, youth groups, emergency youth hostels, large receptions, VBS, and so on.

For their intent is primarily for community outreach, for some of the above mentioned, I don't see a problem, even though it would not be my first chioce for the money. And in that case, I don't see a problem with having an occassional pick up game of ball or an aerobics class, if their are also available to the public to particapate. I think having a group one is comfortable with makes keeping fit easier, and after all, your body is a temple. If on the other hand, they are building the gym to isolate themselves from public gyms and are not welcoming non-parishoners from other churches in the area, I would think that was a major red flag.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM

7,468 posts, read 7,156,458 times

June: too stunned to post.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,716,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

June: too stunned to post.
LOL

Apparently not! hehehe

What stuns you, June, never seen a church gym before?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM

7,468 posts, read 7,156,458 times
Default Am i reading this thread title correctly? Help!

Huh?

Okay: June may be a non-believing heathen atheist, but of all the threads June has ever, ever, EVER read, (up to and including some of the more "poignant" ones on "Christian sexuality") this one literally made me do a double take.

Where do you all live? (That's gotta be it, June's thinking...) --Because I've gotta tell you, despite her above-mentioned non-religious status, () June's been in more than a couple of churches in her day. (But we don't need to go into that at the moment.) June has crossed the thresholds of, and entered into churches in New England, NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Baltimore, Washington, and Europe, but this "gym" concept is totally new and to me. (Translation: stunned.)

I don't know what else to say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity