Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
The part of this thread I enjoy most is that it was created in 2008 and is still going, with a 8 year hold-over, in 2016.
I think the OP should be asked how the situation resolved.
OK, I will.
In the end, I didn't do anything with either of my kids. We had recently moved when I made the thread, my daughter had started a new school, then fell down our steps, plus we were dealing with her tonsils being infected and enlarged so much that she had no airway until they were removed. She also needed wisdom teeth out, then her health tanked, I was busy with her. Every time I turned around we were going to doctors. Once I got her stable, my hub was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer September 2009 so it was another year of running around.

I had asked because things were really bad back then. There is a long, involved back story to this. My adult son didn't want my "sister" as his Godmother any more after what they did to us after my father passed which was why I asked. They had threatened me with various lawsuits, we ended up in mediation for close to a year, cost me $150k.

It will be 11 years that my dad passed from AML leukemia (2/6/06), we have not spoken to my "mother" or either sibling since 06; it was their choice. I had a brother that was put up for adoption in 1960; I had found him in 04; he never spoke to me again when they stopped. I kick myself for not reaching out to him to see why he stopped speaking to me because on my birthday last year, I learned he passed from brain cancer in 2015. I have a cousin on my "mother's" side who told me his father, her brother had passed away on my birthday. So here my "mother" has lost her son and brother but still chooses not to speak to us. It's their loss, especially since she's been a great grandmother for 3 years. She would really enjoy my grandson because he's just like my son who was her golden grandson until her 2 evil daughters turned her against us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysideupandtoast View Post
Yes, this is an old thread but the topic is still the same. Plus, I googled and this forum is what I found. I am looking for help for my Jewish Aunt and non-practicing Catholic Uncle who has 3 boys over the age of 23 who have Godparents. The Godmother continues to bully, ridicule, harass and humiliate my Aunt in private and public gatherings. (Godmother has completely shaved my Aunts son's head saying he needed a haircut without asking My Aunt or Uncle permission!!! Unacceptable! But there's more stories of this!) My question is, now that the boys are grown and the entire family all agree that they don't want to communicate with their Godparents since they all experienced her treatment, how do they cut ties? I suggested she call her and thank her for all the years and wish her well. And even ask why Godmother treats them that way. I've seen the text messages and heard the voicemail messages. Told my Aunt, if people can get divorced, you must be able to divorce your Godparents also!?!. Wondering if she should just not call back, not respond to texts but she wants to send a card. Any feedback would be interesting! Thanks!

PS to the person who mentioned giving back gifts, it's called gifts-unless you are told they want the gift back, it now belongs to you. Also My Aunt has given gifts/money to Godparents they also have 3 boys but it's not about materials, it's about respect!
Best advice I have is cut off contact any way that they can. If they feel they want to send a card, they have to consider what could happen such as more calls and a fight. I personally do not do drama. If they call, ignore it until you can't then text back sorry, been busy. Short and to the point. Hopefully they get the hint.

The Godmother sounds like my ex-relatives. My son was living with my parents at the end of my dads life and for a few months after he passed. They used to talk about me right in front of him. He told me he wanted to move back home when they weren't there, so that's what we did. He couldn't stand the stress. His repayment was they sold everything my dad left him. I wish we would have taken it with us but I did not think they would do anything to him since he was the light of my "mother's" life. I had picked the god mother I did because neither had children of their own. My son was very special to his god mother until things soured when my dad got sick.

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-03-2017 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This is something I've wanted to ask for the last 2 years..

Is it possible to remove someone as Godmother and how does one go about it?
My son who is 23 has a Godmother that we no longer speak to, it's a relative. I highly doubt we will ever have a relationship, and in the last 2 years it's gotten really bad, new wounds a few months ago.

Since he is an adult does it really matter, having/needing a Godmother any more? Probably not so why bother with removal? Because we are trying to move on with our life and I feel cutting ties fully would be best for myself & both of my kids.

Next question.. daughters Godmother (my ex sister in law) passed away 2 years ago. Do I need to replace her? If so, how does one go about that? My daughter is 15 and if something happened to me, she wouldn't want to go with her father. He's not really in her life (no call/no card for her birthday yesterday)
You have to say "bippity boppity boop" backwards.

(I'm teasing you. I have no idea, really, but to me that makes total sense ..best of luck in getting rid of your son's Godmother!)

Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 798 times
I am a Godmother who was asked to leave my Godson alone. Its a sensitive subject for me. I am a divorcee after unfaithfulness in my marriage by my spouse. Verbal abuse too. I remain catholic and have done my part. My ex sisnlaw doesn't allow me to see my Godson even though he is 21 he follows the families wishes. I do however get along with my ex because of our children. She has threatened to have me removed as his Godmother and states it can be done. Sad cause she ran the streets having different men while I supported him mentally and tried to give him Godly advice and she judges me. I still pray for him and hoping he gets early release for good behavior. Plz pray for him to allow me into his life again. Thank you.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My sister was my daughter's godmother. We are not Catholic, but my dd was baptized Episcopalian so they have godparents. It was a first for anyone in my family.

It meant nothing. My sister and my daughter don't even like each other at this point.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
The thread is 10 years old. The Godmother cut us out of her life and still to this day we haven't seen her. My son is 33 years old so he really doesn't need her, it's a non issue. Would have been nice to remove her but I didn't. Just don't have the time

Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This is something I've wanted to ask for the last 2 years..

Is it possible to remove someone as Godmother and how does one go about it?
My son who is 23 has a Godmother that we no longer speak to, it's a relative. I highly doubt we will ever have a relationship, and in the last 2 years it's gotten really bad, new wounds a few months ago.

Since he is an adult does it really matter, having/needing a Godmother any more? Probably not so why bother with removal? Because we are trying to move on with our life and I feel cutting ties fully would be best for myself & both of my kids.

Next question.. daughters Godmother (my ex sister in law) passed away 2 years ago. Do I need to replace her? If so, how does one go about that? My daughter is 15 and if something happened to me, she wouldn't want to go with her father. He's not really in her life (no call/no card for her birthday yesterday)
I don't know what denomination you are, and I can only speak for Godparents - or Sponsors, as they are called in some churches, but I do not think that within Protestant churches that practice infant baptism, that there is any need to inform your pastor if you want to change Godparents because of death, or the reasons that you describe.

Relationships change, and sometimes Godparents flake out and lose interest. It's not unusual.

The original intent was to insure that there were other adults besides the parents, who would assist the child in their development in the Christian faith.

Today it seems to have more secular and social concerns.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:48 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister was my daughter's godmother. We are not Catholic, but my dd was baptized Episcopalian so they have godparents. It was a first for anyone in my family.

It meant nothing. My sister and my daughter don't even like each other at this point.
I think most Protestant churches who baptize infants and babies have God parents. In the Evangelical Lutheran Church, the church officially calls Godparents "Sponsors" now, (most people still call them Godparents) and they can be of any Christian faith - as long as they were baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I know Methodists have Godparents, I am the Godmother of a friend's daughter.

So, the Reformed church does not have God parents?

Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think most Protestant churches who baptize infants and babies have God parents. In the Evangelical Lutheran Church, the church officially calls Godparents "Sponsors" now, (most people still call them Godparents) and they can be of any Christian faith - as long as they were baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I know Methodists have Godparents, I am the Godmother of a friend's daughter.

So, the Reformed church does not have God parents?
No, it's not a thing. I didn't realize Methodists did that, too.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
I have family and friends who wanted me to be their children's Godfather, which isn't a problem. And the one's who want me to raise their children in the event of their death, have that in their will. My daughter also has that in her will for my grandchildren. And, I can honestly say, there is none better to provide loving care and the support they would require as they mature. My great niece's and nephew's also asked if they could call me "Uncle Papa."

Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,735 times
I know next to nothing about godmothers - it's no where mentioned in the scripture so it is a tradition of certain churches. Considering the movie, "The Godfather" - I can't see why anyone would need a "god-parent". But that's just my perspective. Certainly not all protestants do not have godmothers and godfathers and rituals for them - only those who are closer to Catholicism -- Episcopals, Methodists, and perhaps others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity