Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM

4,138 posts, read 11,440,552 times

Advertisements

I haven't read this entire thread, it is way too long!

I just wanted to say that I was the result of an unwanted pregnancy. I am thankful every day that my birth mother did not choose abortion.

I also have a beautiful 4 year old boy who was not wanted by his birth parents. I thank God every day for him.

If you believe that life begins at conception, then you cannot think abortion is ok.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,495,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Jesus said: "Before Abraham, I am, which means I am god, you are god, we are all god"

I guess that I should look at that again.

"I am god, you are god, we are all god" Wow!

Well I know that God says that Jesus is my brother.

And promises that I will do things greater than Jesus did.

But "I am god, you are god, we are all god" Wow!

I am not familiar with Oprah Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle's teachings, I did not know that they taught a theology.
Well that is what Eckhart Tolle says. Not to mention loves saying, "God in a box" You sound like him to me.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM

4,138 posts, read 11,440,552 times
Rape and insest are fewer than 3% of unwanted pregnancies and it is interesting that everyone who wants to argue goes immediately to the extreme cases.

What about the other 97%? I would go so far as to say that if you are a Christian, it is a sin to have sex before marriage.....well, there you go....you have just eliminated almost the remaining 97% of reasons to abort.

There are reasons God gives us his commands....if we do things God's way, we don't have to even start these arguements.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Well, I was having a debate with two of my closest friends, John and Stephanie at Starbucks. I asked my friends about why there are some many people that are against abortions. John told me that is a sin and states its like murdering a person, as did Stephanie.

What if the mother was raped and her life was endangered? Would it still be a sin if she engaged in getting an abortion?

Thanks in advanced.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,495,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

I just wanted to say that I was the result of an unwanted pregnancy. I am thankful every day that my birth mother did not choose abortion.

I also have a beautiful 4 year old boy who was not wanted by his birth parents. I thank God every day for him.

If you believe that life begins at conception, then you cannot think abortion is ok.

Dawn
God bless and thankyou for your story.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 PM

877 posts, read 2,070,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by twin.spin Because abortion is as much a sin as eating meat is a sin.
Thou shalt not kill has nothing to do with abortion when it is legal.
If I'm not mistaken the death penalty is still legal in America.
So Christians can't be against abortion but for the death penalty on the argument that God told them: Thou shalt not kill.
There are moral absolutes. Taking the life of another is one of those moral absolutes which should not be violated. Whether atheist, christian, buddhist, or other, our innate humanity teaches us that life has value. Taking of a life of another is a moral absolute.

However, there is another moral absolute: wrongdoing must be punished. If you do not punish those who commit wrongs, then there is no incentive not to commit a wrong, at least for some. The death penalty is a statement by society of how highly we value life. Those who take the life of another must pay the highest price themselves. The ultimate crime deserves the ultimate punishment.

Imposition of the death penalty is clearly not against the moral absolute of Thou shalt not kill. If anything, it is an affirmation of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Nor should they have gone to war, because instead of going to war they should have turned the other cheek like Jesus had always done.
As a matter of fact, Christians could not be living in America since America was taken by force from the Native Indians.
I could claim that American Christians who still live in America aren’t true Christians because Jesus would never have approved to colonise another country
Especially if it was done by force.
Your ignorance of American culture, the history of the Middle East, and Christian morality are glaring. I would suggest you spend a few minutes with this book (http://www.amazon.com/King-James-Bible-chapter-navigation/dp/B00158HOOG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220911193&sr= 8-2 - broken link).

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Quote:
Rape and insest are fewer than 3% of unwanted pregnancies and it is interesting that everyone who wants to argue goes immediately to the extreme cases.

What about the other 97%? I would go so far as to say that if you are a Christian, it is a sin to have sex before marriage.....well, there you go....you have just eliminated almost the remaining 97% of reasons to abort.

There are reasons God gives us his commands....if we do things God's way, we don't have to even start these arguements.

Dawn
Nicely stated.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,207,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post

Let me ask U this doesn't the word psycho mean soul?

So are U not a therapist for the soul?

Doesn't Jung's teachings teach that your religious beliefs play a very important role in therapy.The girl already knows the decision that she SHOULD make,but that doesn't mean she will make the right 1 especially if her ''soul'' counseler feels she can't guide the girl 2 the right decision based on what is best 4 her souls development and continuence.

I am praying for the both of U.
The word "psyche" in Greek means "mind" or "soul."

You ask whether I am therefore not "a therapist of/for the soul? --To which I can only respond: Not in what most of you would deem the traditional sense. You are correct that Jungian psychoanalytic theory has much to say about the spiritual aspects and dimension of man. It does not, however, permit the therapist to superimpose his or her own religious beliefs upon a patient. It is one thing for someone to infuse into another, as opposed to drawing out that which exists in another. -I do the latter.

If one regards mental or emotional anguish as that of the human soul in crisis, then I imagine that all of us out there who practice psychotherapy could, on some level, be regarded as healers of the soul. --If we believe that the soul exists, (in whatever form) and that it implied in the notion of "soul" is the true, inner self of man, then yes, I suppose we heal people's souls. Not in any "religious" sense, but in attempting to heal that which has resulted in any given individual's crisis. -Be it depression, mental illness, or what have you...I doubt, however, that there are too many shrinks walking around who think of themselves as ever addressing such matters as an individual's "soul" much at all. (They much prefer to think in terms of "mind," "psyche.")

When the soul is in anguish, it manifests itself somehow. Angst and suffering are pretty much the same no matter what origin we may like to attribute it to. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

The young girl whose soul/psyche are in a state of angst over this unanticipated pregnancy will make her own decision as regards what to do about it. She will make it to the best of her ability and ego strength, with June's support, and help. But it will, and has to be, her decision. --Because she is the one who must be at peace with what she decides. Not June. It's not about me; it's every bit about her. I can help in presenting her with all the options that she has available to her; I can help her in clarifying and qualifying those options, but I cannot, will not make up her mind for her. That would be wrong. Because it's not my life to live, it's hers...And it would be profoundly selfish of me to try and influence her decision due to any agenda or agendas of my own.

She is the one who must decide what is best for her well being, for her soul. What she will be able to live with.

I just happen to be the soul that sits in the other chair, across from her, but very much with her, nonetheless. I guess for now, you could say that there are three souls in that room, my office. And yes, I am, very, very cognizant of that...

Take gentle care.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,727,668 times
Smile Hello Dawn!

Quote:

Dawn
Thank you for joining the conversation here; your contribution is a valuable one, especially in light of what some others have posted.

Your very life experience makes a strong case for the cause of adoption!

I'm amazed that many seemingly will not talk about adoption and its life & soul saving effect. (Might be a little off topic for this thread, though, come to think of it....)

Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 AM

661 posts, read 1,180,285 times

Life is not black and white...it is gray all over. God killed innocent people in the Bible, even his own people, the Jews, on occasions when they had done nothing wrong. (King Davids taking a census not authorized by God led to 70,000 dying... not their sin.)

Religion is all about death... how can abortion be a sin when it is every Christians aim to DIE and go to heaven. Are not those who are aborted better off not having to live, but going straight into Gods arms from the Christian viewpoint? Why are you so indignant and outraged about someone not being given the opportunity to live? If becoming pregnant is God's will, then miscarriages are too, so we could say that God performs his own abortions. And dont underestimate the devastating effects of a miscarriage on a woman. I know. My wife had one.

This planet (God created) is so hostile to human life. We constantly fight deadly bacteria, insects, plants, weather systems, the earths movements and if we are fortunate (or unfortunate enough) to reach old age, we are beset by a multitude of problems, all ending up in death.

So, if God considers life so sacred, why did he create an environment which has us battling with death all our lives?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM

661 posts, read 1,180,285 times
George Carlin: The longer you listen to this abortion debate, the more you hear the phrase "sanctity of life," "sanctity of life." You believe in it? Personally, I think it's a bunch of ****. I mean, life is sacred? Who said so? God? Hey, if you read history, you realize that God is one of the leading causes of death.
If everything that ever lived is dead, and everything that's alive is gonna die, where does the sacred part come in?
If you're pre-born, you're fine, if you're pre-schooled, you're stuffed. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.

Pro-life, these people aren't pro-life, they're killing doctors, what kind of pro-life is that? What, they'll do everything they can do save a fetus, but if it grows up to be a doctor they just might have to kill it?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity