Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,178,518 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by beeveenh
Quote:
Which leads one to ask...are we one nation UNDER GOD?? If we are not, as a nation, following the principles in the bible then how can we profess to be under God?
You can't.
Every Christian denomination sees God differently so the saying 1 nation under God is just empty words.
Simply because a nation is only an abstract concept, you cannot touch a nation.
In the same way that we cannot touch God because God like a nation is only an abstract notion.
For a nation to exist it needs citizens who believe that they are a nation, the same way that God can only exist when there are followers who believe in God.

Quote:
The bible seems clear as to the viability and life of an unborn child...no argument about when a life begins in the bible. The bible is clear on it's stance on murder/taking another life.
The thing is that the Bible is useless if it is not being read.
So the Bible needs readers, like a nation needs citizens and God needs believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
The bible seems clear as to the viability and life of an unborn child...no argument about when a life begins in the bible. The bible is clear on it's stance on murder/taking another life. So however we may justify our actions to relieve guilt, if we claim to follow what is written in the bible, we can't fool ourselves.
I agree completely.

The Bible is God's Word, and He is very clear on this topic

Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,431,863 times
Quote:
Every Christian denomination sees God differently so the saying 1 nation under God is just empty words.
I agree
Quote:
I agree

Getting back to the OP...according to the christian bible abortion is a sin. If someone made this mistake they can be forgiven by God.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,515,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I agree

Getting back to the OP...according to the christian bible abortion is a sin. If someone made this mistake they can be forgiven by God.
But we shouldn't make mistakes knowing that we will be forgiven for them, correct?

I believe that abortion is murder of an innocent life. In my opinion it is a sin, but no more of a sin than premarital sex or cheating on a test. There is nothing that rates the sins from least to greatest, so all sins are equal.

Also, I am friends with people who had abortions and I do not look down on them for it. It is their decision, we all make our own decisions, we have free will, it is not my business to point out other's shortcomings, but I myself would know I was sinning if I were to go in for an abortion!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,495,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by beeveenh You can't.
Simply because a nation is only an abstract concept, you cannot touch a nation.
In the same way that we cannot touch God because God like a nation is only an abstract notion.
For a nation to exist it needs citizens who believe that they are a nation, the same way that God can only exist when there are followers who believe in God.

So the Bible needs readers, like a nation needs citizens and God needs believers.
Uhhhhhh....no. The denominations pretty much have overall accurate description of who God is. Jehovah Witnesses and Mormanism are cults.

He is the Creator of all things, alpha, omega; beginning, end. God of Isaac, David and Abraham. What is so different here?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
But we shouldn't make mistakes knowing that we will be forgiven for them, correct?

I believe that abortion is murder of an innocent life. In my opinion it is a sin, but no more of a sin than premarital sex or cheating on a test. There is nothing that rates the sins from least to greatest, so all sins are equal.

Also, I am friends with people who had abortions and I do not look down on them for it. It is their decision, we all make our own decisions, we have free will, it is not my business to point out other's shortcomings, but I myself would know I was sinning if I were to go in for an abortion!
Absolutely correct!!! We shouldn't make mistakes knowing that we will be forgiven for them. I TOTALLY agree. Hebrews 10:26 "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,"

Humans may be able to hide their thoughts, feelings, and intentions from other humans, but not from God. So it's not for me to worry about what other people are concealing. As my mother used to say, "It'll all come out in the wash".
Sometimes people make mistakes before they have a clear understanding on the matter. I guess it's about teaching people BEFORE They make such mistakes.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Uhhhhhh....no. The denominations pretty much have overall accurate description of who God is. Jehovah Witnesses and Mormanism are cults.

He is the Creator of all things, alpha, omega; beginning, end. God of Isaac, David and Abraham. What is so different here?

PUH-LEASSEEEE!! Maybe in another thread you can explain how they are any more of a cult than any other religion.

Who was the God of Abraham, Isaac, and David?? I think the bible is pretty clear on who God is and what his qualities and requirements are.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Why is it that folks throwing stones, so often live in glass houses?

btw, I am neither JW, nor Mormon. I know folks who are members of each of those groups. I know Roman Catholics too.

I believe that God is bigger than any box that anyone wants to stuff Him into.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,495,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why is it that folks throwing stones, so often live in glass houses?

btw, I am neither JW, nor Mormon. I know folks who are members of each of those groups. I know Roman Catholics too.

I believe that God is bigger than any box that anyone wants to stuff Him into.
Ooooooh yes......"God is bigger than any box" nonsense. Thankyou Oprah Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle.

You see when Jesus said, "Before Abraham, I am, which means I am god, you are god, we are all god" We shouldn't listen to fundalmentalist Christians by saying, Jesus is God because we shouldn't read into something just because it says, what it means. How arrogant of us to think that

Because if we understand the bible and God like that, then that is putting Jesus/ God in a box......LOL. Sorry I added that last part after the quotes.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Ooooooh yes......"God is bigger than any box" nonsense. Thankyou Oprah Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle.

You see when Jesus said, "Before Abraham, I am, which means I am god, you are god, we are all god" ...

Jesus said: "Before Abraham, I am, which means I am god, you are god, we are all god"

I guess that I should look at that again.

"I am god, you are god, we are all god" Wow!

Well I know that God says that Jesus is my brother.

And promises that I will do things greater than Jesus did.

But "I am god, you are god, we are all god" Wow!

I am not familiar with Oprah Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle's teachings, I did not know that they taught a theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity